1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I have plans to make a major change of isolation transformers during the weekend.

That didn't take long! 

Look forward to reading how bass compares between the ultra and peaktech with your speakers. Through an IT with grounded secondary, my JBL actives, 8" drivers and 28 liter cabs, bass becomes more sub-like in the sense of being deeper and more grounded.  Dub reggae, for example, sounds like the artists intended, really hitting hard. Re-connecting the speakers back into the peaktech and bass, while still deep and very pleasant indeed, is..well... floatier in comparison.  As if it's lost some of it's meaning, so to speak

1 minute ago, John769 said:

That didn't take long! 

Look forward to reading how bass compares between the ultra and peaktech with your speakers. Through an IT with grounded secondary, my JBL actives, 8" drivers and 28 liter cabs, bass becomes more sub-like in the sense of being deeper and more grounded.  Dub reggae, for example, sounds like the artists intended, really hitting hard. Re-connecting the speakers back into the peaktech and bass, while still deep and very pleasant indeed, is..well... floatier in comparison.

No point loosing time! :D

That´s great to hear! Thanks for sharing! :) I must say that my B setup have never sounded as great as it does right now when the Ultra IT with grounded secondary are feeding the speakers and the balanced and floating IT is taking care of the rest. I am just too curious just to leave it as is and pretend to be happy. I might just miss out of something that is right in front of my eyes!  ;)

I still have the option to have the speakers connected to the Ultra IT and feeding the rest with Peaktech OR just reverse it to the way it is right now if it does´nt end up as my brain is hoping for! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

54 minutes ago, mozes said:

I am no expert in voltage regulators nor in power supplies. Having said that, I have upgraded caps in my speakers, amps and power supplies. My experience is that after I install the new caps, the sound takes a hit, it becomes edgy flat and closed in. Keep running the capa for a week and then the magic will come back. My experience is based on Mundorf Supreme electrolytic caps. My 2 cents!

"Keep running the capa for a week and then the magic will come back"

I agree, they need sometime to get "in mood".

just let them be powered on night and day

Just saw the prices on Mundorf's...are they worth the price say over the Nichicons?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

10 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

YES!!

lol  No qualms there eh?  Good to know Tubeman.  I'm going to try to learn to change these out.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

8 hours ago, Cornan said:

Thanks! Does this mean that it will work just fine without the additional ELNA silmic II capasitors? 

The previous statement was incorrect.

I have one in front of me now, and using my DMM , I have confirmed that the 47uF is at the OUTPUT of the LM317. At the input there is a tiny surface mount capacitor connected to Input and  0 volts.

It is probably something like the minimum value required (perhaps 100nF ? ) in order to keep the LM317 stable.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have one in front of me now, and using my DMM , I have confirmed that the 47uF is at the OUTPUT of the LM317. At the input there is a tiny surface mount capacitor connected to Input and  0 volts.

It is probably something like the minimum value required (perhaps 100nF ? ) in order to keep the LM317 stable.

Alex

Thanks Alex! So this means no capacitors at either input or output will work just fine, right? Sorry for asking many questions. Just want to be 100% sure. External voltage regs is a new little micro world for me.

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, TubeMan said:

"Keep running the capa for a week and then the magic will come back"

I agree, they need sometime to get "in mood".

just let them be powered on night and day

Some large value Audiophile capacitors can take several months to fully stabilise .

Even the 4,700uFs used in the capacitance multiplier section of the JLH PSU add-on take a minimum of 72 hours continuous to stop cycling of the sound quality. At some points in the cycle, it can sound like it has major problems.

This observation was previously confirmed by numerous members of a couple of other forums who purchased the PCBs.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

11 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Alex! So this means no capacitors at either input or output will work just fine, right? Sorry for asking many questions. Just want to be 100% sure. External voltage regs is a new little micro world for me.

My experience has been that this little module will sound better with a 47-100uF connected across it's Input terminals under the PCB, even when used with a 12V Li Ion battery. A 10-22uF connected between Adjust and 0 volts pins of the LM317,

will increase the ripple rejection when used with other DC  input sources.

Alex

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

Alex

correct, sorry!

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

Some large value Audiophile capacitors can take several months to fully stabilise .

Even the 4,700uFs used in the capacitance multiplier section of the JLH PSU add-on take a minimum of 72 hours continuous to stop cycling of the sound quality. At some points in the cycle, it can sound like it has major problems.

This observation was previously confirmed by numerous members of a couple of other forums who purchased the PCBs.

Alex

I usually put power on them with a battery via a regulator with the right volt,
and then let it stand on 24/7 for a while,
before i assemble them

1 hour ago, TubeMan said:

I usually put power on them with a battery via a regulator with the right volt,
and then let it stand on 24/7 for a while,
before i assemble them

The attached may be of interest ?

MshW9a.jpg

Happy days! ?

I started my switch of isolation transformers between my two setups yesturday. It did'nt sound perfect in the beginning with more or less a draw between the two setups. After using my beloved Oehlbach Phaser I realized I was a bit too quick when I did the swap. 

In setup A I am now using the amazing ALT Hi-Fi balanced and floating isolation transformer with a new 2-pole RCD/GFCI for safety.

IMG_6748.thumb.JPG.38f1c48bde103d1821040b5ef2408cbc.JPG

Wow! Really wow! With the phase correct the ATL makes the music glow from within. A very balanced sound with all the other goodies from the Peaktech 2240 still present. Bass is astonishing. Mid-range blooming. Trable smooth and crystal clear. I could'nt ask for anything more! ?

In my B setup I started with Peaktech 2240 powering the music source and Ethernet devices and my Elsund Ultra IT powering the speakers alone. Sounded great and was improved quite a bit with the correct phase. Still I was really missing the ATL glowing sound. I decided to switch to Peaktech powering the whole chain including active speakers. Oh mama! That was surely a completely different story. Clearly better than ATL powering the music source and Ethernet devices and Ultra IT powering the speakers. 

IMG_6749.thumb.JPG.842507b6431db55f15d80dafb60a0075.JPG

A really nice music flow is presented to me. A very natural feeling to it all. Balanced with great firm bass notes. Nothing sticks out. Nothing feels edgy. Nothing feels wrong.

I am really happy with both of my changes now and will surely keep it this way. It brings the best out of both of my setups. Clearly the ATL is outperforming my Peaktech 2240 in some regards with a more balanced and glowing sound. It's on fire! ?

The Elsund Perfect Power Ultra IT will be leaving. No more hum. I am happy with that as well! ?

Sorry, but now I'll have to explore more music! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

There was an interesting (at least to me :)) post by user "SolidCore" regarding the LT3045 regulators:

"Hello Quadman

Your way to mod is not the Best, if the SU-1 shall sound analog and "real", not like a Machine. The LT3045 sounds a lit thin. Voices lost the force, sounds like Micky Maus.
There are many other Regulators do it much better.The Ultra low ESR Oganic Caps sounds dry and colourless.
The Caps are dependent from the Regulator of your Choice. One Regulator needs a Panasonic FR, another a Oscon SP, and so on.

The one thing the LT3045 can do better is sound clear without harshness. Thats ok, yes. But not at all.
Test it, and you will hear this.

Greetings
Stephan"

That's from page 38 of this thread:

From page 38 of this thread:

Maybe worth following up with him to see if he has any advice.

39 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

There was an interesting (at least to me :)) post by user "SolidCore" regarding the LT3045 regulators:

"Hello Quadman

Your way to mod is not the Best, if the SU-1 shall sound analog and "real", not like a Machine. The LT3045 sounds a lit thin. Voices lost the force, sounds like Micky Maus.
There are many other Regulators do it much better.The Ultra low ESR Oganic Caps sounds dry and colourless.
The Caps are dependent from the Regulator of your Choice. One Regulator needs a Panasonic FR, another a Oscon SP, and so on.

The one thing the LT3045 can do better is sound clear without harshness. Thats ok, yes. But not at all.
Test it, and you will hear this.

Greetings
Stephan"

That's from page 38 of this thread:

From page 38 of this thread:

Maybe worth following up with him to see if he has any advice.

Not much to say about it. I think Stephan should check if he has got the grounding right. Nothing metallic about the LT3045's at all. Beleive what you trust in yourself, but to me the the Mickey Mouse [Micky Maus] comment clearly indicated how much I trust his judgement. The LT3045's in series is rather the opposite to metallic IMO! 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, lasker98 said:

I have yet to try the LT3045, but in my experience that describes the performance of most medium current voltage regulators. That's why I use  JLH PSU add-on after the voltage regulators in my DAC, Preamp etc.

The JLH I use has a simulated capacitance of around 2 FARADS. 

It could also be interesting to try a 5.5V Supercap after a 5V voltage regulator.

You may need to limit the current to the Supercap until it was fully charged though. Several seconds  perhaps ?

Yesturday evening I did another switch in my B setup. I removed my laptop with JplayStreamer/AO/Fidelizer pro/process lasso/USB cable with Teradak USB power splitter and connected the ChromeCast Audio/BubbleUPnP Server/TP-Link EU-300/OTG power splitter/Chord toshlink. Actually NOT that big difference in SQ that I thought it would be, but a lot quicker & easier to get up and running. Also with ChromeCast Audio I can control the volume with BubbleDS Next, which is not possible with JplayStreamer.

Now, I am a bit torn how to continue this path? Right now I am actually leaning towards the ChromeCast Audio for its easy access compared to the PC. With the BluWave USB to Spdif coming soon I might change my plan and try it post the ISO Regen in my A setup instead.

🎛️  Audio System  

I have found the series of articles by someone with handle "rb2013" highly informative.     

<https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-power-supplies-part-1-smps-lps-supercap-battery-diy-route-new-devices-opens-up-new-options.821621/>

A Part 4 on DIY, battery, etc., supplies was indicated to be in progress.

Does anyone know if Part 4 was posted somewhere?

"rb23013" enthusiastically recommends the ART PB4X4 Pro power distribution systems and indicates several in personal use, e.g., with his PC music server.  I would like to try one the PB4X4 Pro in a similar application.  I am using a APC UPS to supply my server currently. 

Would I put the ART unit downstream or upstream of the existing UPS?

Any assistance with locating "rb2013" would be appreciated.

Yes Bob made a 5V lt3045 box for me and I received it a few days ago. Yes he goes by tubelover2 on USAudiomart. There are a few choice threads over there

i have zero issues with him. His box and cables are nice (have since gotten a 5v board from Chris/forehaven). Will report on them once all is in place

I saw that I had been quoted by Tubelover 2 in the link that was posted by austinpop. (above)
He also said this in his reply :

"Now imagine taking those USB sticks and running them outside the PC - on a galvanically isolated -
 low noise LPS powered unit - power separate from the PC."

I have been doing that for quite some time now, and my preference is a 12V Li Ion battery into a 12V to +9V Voltage Regulator
 followed by a modified John Linsley Hood designed Power Supply Add-on ( A.K.A. "Ripple Eater") which is a form of Shunt Regulator, and in my version has a simulated capacitance of > 2 FARADs, powering an Uptone USB Regen.
 This means that there is no inadvertent coupling back to A.C. Mains Earth.
 Yes, a well designed Linear PSU instead of the Li Ion battery can come close in performance when using an R-Core transformer,  but do not connect it's screen to mains earth, as this causes a minor SQ degradation.

I have mounted a toggle switch on  the rear of my PSU which readily enables me to compare, with and without, the screen connected back to Mains Earth.

Alex