IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Multichannel

vortecjr

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

I have been conducting some tests in order to get my hands around multichannel playback. Here are the results so far:

The following is based on tests conducted with a miniDSP UDAC-8 - asynchronous USB to 8 channel analog RCA converter. The DAC is capable of 8 channel @ 24/192kHz so no DSD tests have been conducted. I'm powering the DAC with my UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply set to 5V and it sounds great considering the overall cost:

TESTED OUTPUT MODES

1. Roon / RoonReady output mode - confirmed

2. JRiver / MPD-DLNA output mode - confirmed

3. MPD direct with MPD controller - confirmed

4. Logitech Meda Server / SqueezeLite - busted, does not play

6. HQ Player / NAA - confirmed

DEVICE SHORTLIST

1. Lynx Hilo - confirmed, https://amzn.to/2UoVtJx

2. miniDSP UDAC-8 - confirmed, https://amzn.to/2FKpzRC

3. miniDSP U-DIO8 - confirmed, https://amzn.to/2FKpzRC 

4. RME ADI-2 Pro FS - should work, https://amzn.to/2WAsOkp

5. RME Fireface UCX - should work, https://amzn.to/2CIiHm4

6. RME UFX II - confirmed

KNOWN ISSUES

MPD is converting stereo into whatever number of channels your DAC supports. MPD does this by copying the stereo channels into the remains channels. Multichannel files appear to play fine with a multichannel test file.

Jesus, I will commit to try the stacked Mytek solution with the microRendu sometime in the next week. No idea, though, as to Mytek's Linux relationship with the microRendu (stereo 192 DSD).

I'm not optimistic about that:) We support that device, but no clue what will happen with more than one in the loop. I though their driver for this was for ASIO?

Agreed, yes ASIO is the channel mapper, etc. I simply thought I'd try it. Not holding breath.

I have been conducting some tests in order to get my hands around multichannel playback.
Cool.

Here are the results so far:

The following is based on tests conducted with a miniDSP UDAC-8 - asynchronous USB to 8 channel analog RCA converter. The DAC is capable of 8 channel @ 24/192kHz so no DSD tests have been conducted. I'm powering the DAC with my UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply set to 5V and it sounds great considering the overall cost:

TESTED OUTPUT MODES

1. Roon / RoonReady output mode - not working, might bee supported on Roon 1.3

2. JRiver / MPD-DLNA output mode - confirmed

3. MPD direct with MPD controller - confirmed

4. Logitech Meda Server / SqueezeLite - pending test, not expected to work

6. HQ Player / NAA - pending test, should work

DEVIVE SHORT LIST

miniDSP UDAC-8 - confirmed

OK.
ExaSound multichannel DACs - busted, exaSound needs to provide Linux driver
Not busted. exa has chosen not to provide a Linux driver.

KNOWN ISSUES

MPD is converting stereo into whatever number of channels your DAC supports. MPD does this by copying the stereo channels into the remains channels.

That's unfortunate.

Multichannel files appear to play fine with multichannel test file.
What test files are you using?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I'm not optimistic about that:) We support that device, but no clue what will happen with more than one in the loop. I though their driver for this was for ASIO?
Yes, under Win. No driver is needed for MacOS which allows you to aggregate the three DACs into a single deivce. I do not know about Linux.

Kal Rubinson

So if I purchase a SonicorbiterSE+UDAC8, and have JRiver running on my NAS...all of JRiver's DSP/Room Correction/Bass Management options will make it through the analog outputs of the UDAC8?

If so, I'd LOVE to chuck the humongous AV receiver I use only for audio, then run to small front and back amps for an ultra-compact 5.1 system.

So if I purchase a SonicorbiterSE+UDAC8, and have JRiver running on my NAS...all of JRiver's DSP/Room Correction/Bass Management options will make it through the analog outputs of the UDAC8?

If so, I'd LOVE to chuck the humongous AV receiver I use only for audio, then run to small front and back amps for an ultra-compact 5.1 system.

What JRiver does with local storage might be very different than what it does streaming via DLNA/UPnP. No DSP/Room Correction on MC22 with DLNA/UPnP streaming as far as I can tell. No clue what MC23 supports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting multichannel feedback

"I got my microRendu working with my RME UFX II last night in multichannel mode for my 6 channel digital crossovers with Roon.  Sounds excellent!  Nice improvement (as expected) over the Windows PC."

"I am even able to do routing from analog input to AES out (to my Yggdrasil DAC) in the UFX II, using the iPad RME TotalMix app.  The iPad works in RME “CC Mode” (Linux mode) like the microRendu.  So I attached the iPad to the RME using the Lightning to USB Apple adapter --- set the routing – and then attached the microRendu.  It all worked.  I mention this in case you have other customers who need to do something similar to me."

On 1/20/2017 at 11:05 PM, vortecjr said:

No DSP/Room Correction on MC22 with DLNA/UPnP streaming as far as I can tell. No clue what MC23 supports.

I do not know either but I can use DSP with DLNA/UPnP on the current version and it was possible earlier.  

Kal Rubinson

Vortecjr's report in the post above was from me. 

A few things to add:

- I meant to say "I am even able to do routing from digital input to AES out".  There is no analog conversion.  Digital data comes in from the microRendu/RoonReady over USB and then gets routed out to AES and then to the Yggdrasil DAC.  I am using Audiolense software to set up my digital crossovers.  Audiolense measurements figure out the internal digital delay on the digital routing to make all the channels line up correctly.

- By default RME TotalMix routing sets inputs to outputs.  So, for example, digital input channel 13 gets routed to digital out channel 13.  This wasn't a problem when using USB out to a Windows PC.  However, it looks like in RME CC Mode (for Linux and IOS apps) things might be more sensitive.  Either that or RoonReady is not initializing channels > 8 correctly, which is a possibility since Roon only handles up to 8 channels as far as I know.  I was getting a loud noise on AES output and other channel > 8 and the UFX II meter showed a bunch of channels pegged high until I cleaned up the TotalMix routing. So if you reading this and have an RME device, clean up your TotalMix routing as much as possible.  Then things should work great.

- I like the RME UFX II, but it sounds so much better with the Yggy Analog 2 running the frequency band from 40-700 hz on my bass/lower midrange speakers (UFX II analog out runs the 20-40 hz subwoofers and >700 hz horn channels).  Which sort of reminds me of the Burr-Brown DAC chips which were R2R in the lower frequencies and Delta Sigma in the upper frequencies.  R2R better for <700 hz, IMO!  I would like to try another R2R DAC in >700 hz range at some point. The UFX II has only one AES out, so it would have to be with the single optical SPDIF output.

- I am using my Windows 10 PC with USB to the RME device to do Audiolense measurements and filter creation using an Earthworks m50 mic.  I then switch over to attaching the microRendu, setting up the filters in Roon DSP,  and put the Windows 10 PC back upstairs, far from the living room.

My system here

On 7/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, Cormorant said:

Vortecjr's report in the post above was from me. 

A few things to add:

- I meant to say "I am even able to do routing from digital input to AES out".  There is no analog conversion.  Digital data comes in from the microRendu/RoonReady over USB and then gets routed out to AES and then to the Yggdrasil DAC.  I am using Audiolense software to set up my digital crossovers.  Audiolense measurements figure out the internal digital delay on the digital routing to make all the channels line up correctly.

- By default RME TotalMix routing sets inputs to outputs.  So, for example, digital input channel 13 gets routed to digital out channel 13.  This wasn't a problem when using USB out to a Windows PC.  However, it looks like in RME CC Mode (for Linux and IOS apps) things might be more sensitive.  Either that or RoonReady is not initializing channels > 8 correctly, which is a possibility since Roon only handles up to 8 channels as far as I know.  I was getting a loud noise on AES output and other channel > 8 and the UFX II meter showed a bunch of channels pegged high until I cleaned up the TotalMix routing. So if you reading this and have an RME device, clean up your TotalMix routing as much as possible.  Then things should work great.

- I like the RME UFX II, but it sounds so much better with the Yggy Analog 2 running the frequency band from 40-700 hz on my bass/lower midrange speakers (UFX II analog out runs the 20-40 hz subwoofers and >700 hz horn channels).  Which sort of reminds me of the Burr-Brown DAC chips which were R2R in the lower frequencies and Delta Sigma in the upper frequencies.  R2R better for <700 hz, IMO!  I would like to try another R2R DAC in >700 hz range at some point. The UFX II has only one AES out, so it would have to be with the single optical SPDIF output.

- I am using my Windows 10 PC with USB to the RME device to do Audiolense measurements and filter creation using an Earthworks m50 mic.  I then switch over to attaching the microRendu, setting up the filters in Roon DSP,  and put the Windows 10 PC back upstairs, far from the living room.

Thanks for the follow up. Can you post a link to the exact model you have?

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Cormorant said:

I upgraded my downstream FMC from the TP-Link MC220L to a Sonore opticalModule a few weeks ago.   I can report it works great with my multichannel system.  I really like the modular upgradability of systemOptique.

Thanks for letting us know that the opticalModule is working great with multichannel...enjoy! 

• 4 months later...

It seems to mee that an usb to HMDI conversions is “easy”. 
Cheap converters exists. 

Maybe in a future HW upgrade for the Rendu HMDI should be part of a new output?

What would talk against such an upgrade ?

My multichannel DAC only has HMDI, so that’s why asking. 

11 hours ago, R1200CL said:

It seems to mee that an usb to HMDI conversions is “easy”. 
Cheap converters exists. 

Maybe in a future HW upgrade for the Rendu HMDI should be part of a new output?

What would talk against such an upgrade ?

My multichannel DAC only has HMDI, so that’s why asking. 

It's very expensive and requires a license we are not willing to pay.