IGNORED

MPaD / MPoD Gone?

Hi Guys - it appears that the MPaD and MPoD MPD apps (from here) are gone from the iOS app store. Anyone have any idea what's up?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mpod/id285063020?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mpad/id423097706?mt=8

There has been no support for either of these Apps for a long time. The developer's web site has not been active for months or even years (last entry seems to be two years old). MPaD has not been updated since iOS 7!!! The forum gets occasional use but never a response from developer.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

BTW, I am using Soundirok as a replacement. Still has a few bugs but is working well for me and it is actively being developed and supported.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

There has been no support for either of these Apps for a long time. The developer's web site has not been active for months or even years (last entry seems to be two years old). MPaD has not been updated since iOS 7!!! The forum gets occasional use but never a response from developer.

Yeah, I noticed that. I wonder if Apple removed the apps or if the developer removed them. Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter if they are gone. A decent alternative seems to be soundirok

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundirok/id1031050935?mt=8

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

BTW, I am using Soundirok as a replacement. Still has a few bugs but is working well for me and it is actively being developed and supported.

Or handle MPD as a standard UPnP or OpenHome renderer, via the upmpdcli front end client, so that you can then use a decent OpenHome controller app with it, eg Lumin, Linn Kazoo, etc:

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Or handle MPD as a standard UPnP or OpenHome renderer, via the upmpdcli front end client, so that you can then use a decent OpenHome controller app with it, eg Lumin, Linn Kazoo, etc:

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

Totally agree with you on this one. Unfortunately some people are stuck with hardware / software they can't update due to manufacturer lockdown or warranty issues.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

[/url]

Thanks for the recommendation - I bought Soundirok and I've been trying it on my iPad Mini and iPod Touch today. It looks like it has potential, but it isn't there yet for me.

Every time I start the app it says 'Soundirok is loading your music library...' and sits there for several minutes. I get the feeling that it never properly finishes and therefore keeps trying to do the download at startup. The display of cover art seems to work sometimes, but not consistently and it is only ever shown for the currently playing track and I've not got the album cover view to show the album covers. I use playlists and if I log in to my Moode based Raspberry Pi MPD server I can see the list of playlists with 'mpc lsplaylists', but the playlists aren't shown in the Soundirok UI. I'll periodically give it another try after it has been updated though - for 2.99 euros you can't really go far wrong.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Doh! Up-to-date or not it was consistently glitch-free for me most of last year on three devices running ios8 , 9, and 10. I moved on from mpd because I was bit by the DSD upsampling bug, but for my money ($0 if I recall!) MPoD was one of the cleanest UX experiences on small screens. For a simple mpd + local library set up it was perfection—everything you need, nothing you don't.

Thanks for the recommendation - I bought Soundirok and I've been trying it on my iPad Mini and iPod Touch today. It looks like it has potential, but it isn't there yet for me.

Every time I start the app it says 'Soundirok is loading your music library...' and sits there for several minutes. I get the feeling that it never properly finishes and therefore keeps trying to do the download at startup. The display of cover art seems to work sometimes, but not consistently and it is only ever shown for the currently playing track and I've not got the album cover view to show the album covers. I use playlists and if I log in to my Moode based Raspberry Pi MPD server I can see the list of playlists with 'mpc lsplaylists', but the playlists aren't shown in the Soundirok UI. I'll periodically give it another try after it has been updated though - for 2.99 euros you can't really go far wrong.

Hi,

I installed Soundirok today to be used with Moode on a Raspberry Pi too. The app indexed my library (>2600 albums) in a few minutes but the album covers are missing.

All the album folders have their respective album covers stored as folder.jpg. The music folders (by artist >by albums) are in portable HDD atached to the RaspPi under a common root file named Music.

I have tried several file path iterations on the Collection URL field without success.

Could you please share the settings (perhaps with an screenshot) that you used to get the album covers to show?

TIA,

JoseL

Hi,

I installed Soundirok today to be used with Moode on a Raspberry Pi too. The app indexed my library (>2600 albums) in a few minutes but the album covers are missing.

All the album folders have their respective album covers stored as folder.jpg. The music folders (by artist >by albums) are in portable HDD atached to the RaspPi under a common root file named Music.

I have tried several file path iterations on the Collection URL field without success.

Could you please share the settings (perhaps with an screenshot) that you used to get the album covers to show?

TIA,

My settings are as follows:

IP address: bw-mm1.local

Collection URL: http://bw-mm1.local/

Cover Filename: folder.jpg

They are exactly the same ones I use with MPaD and MPoD. The music is NFS mounted with a name of 'Music' in the MoOde GUI.

I am now getting the names of my playlists in the playlists tab and the cover art for the current track playing is being shown reliably. When I look in the storage used on my iPad by Soundirok, it is showing 13.9 Mb of documents and data today, whereas yesterday it was showing zero and so it does look like it is caching something. I have just under 40,000 tracks in my collection. I've just written a little script to add up the total size of my folder.jpg files and they are 277 Mb altogether and so Soundirok can't have cached all of those.

On startup Soundirok gives an error about there being no devices set up 'You have no devices set up :( Add on in the settings' that goes away after about 30 seconds when it finds the 'B&W MM-1' device that I set up. I usually set the volume for the MM-1s to 60%, and several times Soundirok has set the volume to 100% which is a bit unsettling.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

My settings are as follows:

IP address: bw-mm1.local

Collection URL: http://bw-mm1.local/

Cover Filename: folder.jpg

They are exactly the same ones I use with MPaD and MPoD. The music is NFS mounted with a name of 'Music' in the MoOde GUI.

I am now getting the names of my playlists in the playlists tab and the cover art for the current track playing is being shown reliably. When I look in the storage used on my iPad by Soundirok, it is showing 13.9 Mb of documents and data today, whereas yesterday it was showing zero and so it does look like it is caching something. I have just under 40,000 tracks in my collection. I've just written a little script to add up the total size of my folder.jpg files and they are 277 Mb altogether and so Soundirok can't have cached all of those.

On startup Soundirok gives an error about there being no devices set up 'You have no devices set up :( Add on in the settings' that goes away after about 30 seconds when it finds the 'B&W MM-1' device that I set up. I usually set the volume for the MM-1s to 60%, and several times Soundirok has set the volume to 100% which is a bit unsettling.

Hi,

Thank you! I too use the same settings as those on MPaD and after I posted my question also noticed that only the album art of the track being played is shown, the rest of the covers still do not. What gives?

I emailed the app developer. Let's see.

Thanks again,

JoseL

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a lengthy discussion on AudioCircle (Bryston forum) on Soundirok and how to configure for Album Art display, as well as booklets.

For me, Soundirok has been a really great improvement for MPD playback (both with a Bryston BDP and Volumio on a Cubox-i).

Maybe this is helpful: Soundirok App

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

• 7 months later...

I was in contact with Berrie Kremers 3 months ago who is the developper of Mpad / Mpod asking what his plans were with MPad as It is still my preferred MPD control.

He stated he was in contact with an external party discussing continuing the update / development of Mpad / Mpod. Apparently Berrie had no plans doing it himself.

Another very actual issue is that it does not function anymore in iOS 11 so I am forced to downgrade to iOS 10. Not anly because of Mpad but more apps do not work anymore so I decided I did not need the “upgrade” 

Bottom line: DO NOT UPGRADE TO IOS 11 !!!!

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently taken my PK90 out of the closet after a few years not having used it and indeed discovered that MPAD is no longer. I've been trying to set up soundirok and loading my library takes next to no time, yet I can't get the album covers to show. My library is still on the same HD and all covers are named folder.jpg. Anyone know how to set up soundirok to recognise my covers? 

thanks. 

Auralic Aries - Antelope Zodiac Gold/Voltikus - Crystal Reference Diamond - Pathos TT - Crystal micro - Rogers LS3/5a

6 hours ago, MbraHam said:

I've recently taken my PK90 out of the closet after a few years not having used it and indeed discovered that MPAD is no longer. I've been trying to set up soundirok and loading my library takes next to no time, yet I can't get the album covers to show. My library is still on the same HD and all covers are named folder.jpg. Anyone know how to set up soundirok to recognise my covers? 

thanks. 

There is a Soundirok thread here for more help

Also the app developer provides some guidance here  http://www.kvibes.de/en/soundirok/display-cover-art/

• 1 month later...

This is somewhat OT, but does anyone know whether MPD can stream input from an audio device on Mac OS X?  On Linux you can set the input to an ALSA device.  Will this setting work on a Mac so that, for example, ALSA device 0,0 is interpreted to mean the Mac system input device?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 4:07 PM, Nyx0uf said:

Hi,

I'm the developer of MPDRemote, a MPD remote app for iOS, the app is open source and the code available on github : https://github.com/Nyx0uf/MPDRemote

For non developers the app is available on the App Store : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mpdremote/id1202933180?mt=8

would it be possible to compile MPDRemote for ios 5.1.1   ( the latest f/w version for iPad 1 ) , it would be great for everyone using old iPads around the world to use with MPD  :-) 

and also for iPad 2 owners where the latest f/w version is now iOS 9.3.5, and no chance of any updates in the future !

you would get a lot of people using MPDRemote if old iPads were supported on the last firmware versions that Apple are going to provide for them 

bon chance et bonne année

One of the main problems of  Soundirok and/or the other iOS apps of the same kind is that they can not see the cover art of the album when it is embedded as metadata in the files. 

You have to have the actual .jpg file of the cover in the same folder where you have the audio files (named folder.jpg or cover.jpg) in order to set the client to see the cover art.

Also they do not download cover art from the internet like the MPDroid app does in Android for example...

Soundirock works just fine except the above issue ... 

I am wondering if there is a MPD client app that can download covers ...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 8:43 PM, tml3nr said:

Have you tried it? Is it any different than just a re-packaged MPod? I can't imagine that it has been improved since the cost is now free.