IGNORED

Group Test: USB gadgets (AQ Jitterbug, Uptone Regen, iFi iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iPurifier2, UPDATE on p.15…)

Side Bar: Dual header USB cable

kabelek.png

In my experience, using a twin headed USB cable brings decent improvement.

I have tried both the iFi Gemini and Acoustic Revive twin headed USB cables, they both bring similar improvements to the system, there is more separation between the instruments and the overall image and background is cleaner. Bryan Ferry's vocals on the Roxy cut becomes fully and more 3D. Robert Silverman's performances of Beethoven's piano sonatas sound more open.

So if you can, go dual header USB!

prod_acoustic_revive_usb-1.0sps.jpg

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

If you want the best from the intona, use an audio pcie usb card powered directly from an LPS-1 and connect the Intona directly to the usb connector from the card with a usb adapter. This puts the Intona leagues ahead of the Ifi micro usb 3.0 because of Ifi's dirty source of power and inability to be adapted to a clean source. The Regen works best after the Intona right before the DAC. Again, clean power, no leakage, is everything, use a battery with JKenny mod on Regen or LPS-1. Also it is best to eliminate the 5Vbus whenever possible in the USB stream.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

So in the Lab department, the intona is probably the worst one, it is obviously a product design for industrial use and not for home audio use.

Gosh at last some one else has said this, thanks DM. I've been saying this for months. Intona is so variable in its sonic results that overall it needs to be used with care and definitely trialled. But bare in mind if you change DAC's the Intona may in fact be worse sounding.

New Dac's should cater for the USB input discrepancies and engineer to over come them onboard, not another box with more connections/cables!!!!

I have a crazy centipede of add ons now. Just need a little more time to bed in my upgraded mrspeakers Ether flow.

Samsung Galaxy s5- OTG adapter

supra AB usb cable

female B male Aadapter to I defender

I silencer to Male A male B adapter into.

I purifier 2 into the intona standard

Usb AB cable into Mytek Brooklyn amp Dac

The I defender is fed with a 5v regulated battery supply.

I got spend happy waiting for the Ethers upgrade and got the silencer defender. But it's designed for laptop PC not otg phone.

I can't test electrical noise but when the Headphones stabilisation is fixed I can do an add remove of parts to hear what helps.

I silencer is thier inverse signal filter and emi rfi blocker. They said it would work in conjunction with the I purifier 2.

The defender is a 5v port and ground loop killer (iso ground). Not an issue for me but made a fast clean 5v port.

It looks ridiculous I'll do a picture when I get home but no major reduction I could hear with my old B+W P7'S.

Will report when I can to compare with DMS great work here.

Have fun

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

We were a little bit surprised of the findings, the Intona noise was as good as the computer USB port! Which means it was bad … even the cheap iPurifier2 beat it hands down. Also during testing, we encountered a few operational issues:

"(1) it could only provide around 300mA of juice, if we up the load to 400mA, the intona drops to 4.57V (should be 5V), so if the DAC need a bit of juice (e.g. LH Lab Geek Out), it just didn't work.

(2) sometimes the intona just won’t to connect to the system at all, need a good few retries to get it working. In one of my friend’s system, it still won’t connect as of now. But in my system, it sometimes refuse connection on a rainy day, but normal use is largely fine."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When first introduced, the Intona had problems with DACs that pulled more than 300mA of juice (usually XMOS DACs). It was revised and this is no longer a problem. A firmware upgrade is available to fix this.

As for the Intona not connecting, that is probably due to not having the new firmware as well. I have had mine 3 months, and not once has it ever failed to work and sync the computer to DAC. The ifi Micro iUSB3 I had, had regular sync problems. I had to restart the computer or turn off and on the DAC a few times a week.

Along with the measurements, I wonder if you do not have a faulty Intona.

I have included a few links from Intona's FAQ adressing your first issue, and a few of their measurements as well.

Intona – Häufig gestellte Fragen & Antworten

+10

We were a little bit surprised of the findings, the Intona noise was as good as the computer USB port! Which means it was bad … even the cheap iPurifier2 beat it hands down. Also during testing, we encountered a few operational issues:

"(1) it could only provide around 300mA of juice, if we up the load to 400mA, the intona drops to 4.57V (should be 5V), so if the DAC need a bit of juice (e.g. LH Lab Geek Out), it just didn't work.

(2) sometimes the intona just won’t to connect to the system at all, need a good few retries to get it working. In one of my friend’s system, it still won’t connect as of now. But in my system, it sometimes refuse connection on a rainy day, but normal use is largely fine."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When first introduced, the Intona had problems with DACs that pulled more than 300mA of juice (usually XMOS DACs). It was revised and this is no longer a problem. A firmware upgrade is available to fix this.

As for the Intona not connecting, that is probably due to not having the new firmware as well. I have had mine 3 months, and not once has it ever failed to work and sync the computer to DAC. The ifi Micro iUSB3 I had, had regular sync problems. I had to restart the computer or turn off and on the DAC a few times a week.

Along with the measurements, I wonder if you do not have a faulty Intona.

I have included a few links from Intona's FAQ adressing your first issue, and a few of their measurements as well.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Thanks for the very interesting reviews. I am a fan of the iFi USB3.0 Nano and have three of them. I haven't compared the Nano with other USB purifiers, but I tried a USB3.0 Nano and liked the sonic improvement I got feeding into my Chord 2Qute and powering a Raspberry Pi2 so much that I got Nanos for my other two systems

One nice feature of the Nano is that it has a power only USB A socket (as well as a normal data + power USB A socket) which I use to power a Raspberry Pi. This means that the Nano is dual purpose - it both cleans up the USB signal coming out of the Pi, and provides a clean power supply into the Pi. I have asked about whether the power is cleaner from the Nano compared with using a 5 volt iFi Power PSU to power a Raspberry Pi on the iFi Forum on this site, and the iFi guys said it was.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

Thanks DM for starting this thread and for providing the measurement and effort for this comparison .

If you take into account John Swenson application of leakage currents, it is likely that different devices will have their own signature, however what defines the sound we hear is based upon the level of leakage currents from the source to the receiver.

As noted by other many posts on CA , USB is not the ideal of interfaces for audio, but it's the most ubiquitous. The cable transfers leakage currents easily from source to receiver and the other way too , devices like the Intona stop the current flow.

The degree of the effectiveness of the Intona depends on the level of leakage current rejection especially by the receiver via its power supply and that's ultimately what's heard. The Intona is not perfect but for what it does for dipping leakage current is very good. What it doesn't do is to restructure USB like the regen or RUR and both devices require a psu and the LPS-1 is more than less a mandatory requirement for preventing leakage currents to propagate. By adding the iusb restored the SI, however I would fit the iusb ahead of the Intona since if the standard psu is used for the iusb, it injects leakage current direct to the DAC.

Why the Intona works with DACs to improve the sound, make little difference or sound worse is just the interaction of the receivers own noise rejection characteristics with the level and frequency of leakage currents that exist within the dac and derived from the AC supply.

We have the tools to isolate psu leakage, now to find a galvanic isolator with integral signal integrity in the same box.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Gosh at last some one else has said this, thanks DM. I've been saying this for months. Intona is so variable in its sonic results that overall it needs to be used with care and definitely trialled. But bare in mind if you change DAC's the Intona may in fact be worse sounding.

New Dac's should cater for the USB input discrepancies and engineer to over come them onboard, not another box with more connections/cables!!!!

Agree with you on this, Intona must be deployed with due care:

• it's galvanic isolation is surely a plus

• the way it regenerates the USB signal is quite unpredictable, as it is not native USB transfer. Following is from my EE friend:

many many data conversions happened inside the Intona (USB serial>Bi-directional parallel, Bi-directional parallel>Uni-directional parallel, Uni-directional parallel>Bi-directional parallel, Bi-directional parallel>USB serial); so if any one of the conversion is a tiny bit out, the whole chain suffers, also there is the additional latency and timing issue to solve.

• it's power output is down right horrible

so use with due care and trial (make sure you have a return option) and don't be surprised if it doesn't improve the sound of the system.

Although I did say it was like an Audi vs Mercedes-Benz, actually Alfa Romeo vs Mercedes-Benz would be a better description :)

Alfa_Romeo_159_sedan.jpg

2012_mercedes-benz_c-class.jpg

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Thanks for the very interesting reviews. I am a fan of the iFi USB3.0 Nano and have three of them. I haven't compared the Nano with other USB purifiers, but I tried a USB3.0 Nano and liked the sonic improvement I got feeding into my Chord 2Qute and powering a Raspberry Pi2 so much that I got Nanos for my other two systems

One nice feature of the Nano is that it has a power only USB A socket (as well as a normal data + power USB A socket) which I use to power a Raspberry Pi. This means that the Nano is dual purpose - it both cleans up the USB signal coming out of the Pi, and provides a clean power supply into the Pi. I have asked about whether the power is cleaner from the Nano compared with using a 5 volt iFi Power PSU to power a Raspberry Pi on the iFi Forum on this site, and the iFi guys said it was.

yes, the nano/micro iUSB3.0s are actually damn good 5V power supplies. In my experience, they are as least as good (if not better) than the LPS I used before, seems the ANC circuit does what it says on the tin ... :)

I have a crazy centipede of add ons now. Just need a little more time to bed in my upgraded mrspeakers Ether flow.

Samsung Galaxy s5- OTG adapter

supra AB usb cable

female B male Aadapter to I defender

I silencer to Male A male B adapter into.

I purifier 2 into the intona standard

Usb AB cable into Mytek Brooklyn amp Dac

The I defender is fed with a 5v regulated battery supply.

I got spend happy waiting for the Ethers upgrade and got the silencer defender. But it's designed for laptop PC not otg phone.

I can't test electrical noise but when the Headphones stabilisation is fixed I can do an add remove of parts to hear what helps.

I silencer is thier inverse signal filter and emi rfi blocker. They said it would work in conjunction with the I purifier 2.

The defender is a 5v port and ground loop killer (iso ground). Not an issue for me but made a fast clean 5v port.

It looks ridiculous I'll do a picture when I get home but no major reduction I could hear with my old B+W P7'S.

Will report when I can to compare with DMS great work here.

Have fun

Dave

Would love to hear your findings.

@robocop

"New Dac's should cater for the USB input discrepancies and engineer to over come them onboard, not another box with more connections/cables!!!!"

AMR and iFi do pay particular attention to those matters in dac design, and deal with the shortcomings of spdif as well. The AMR DP-777 and the iFi Retro for example, and likely other dacs in the iFi range. Between those and the various gadgets/cables they pretty well have everybody's back covered.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

@robocop

"New Dac's should cater for the USB input discrepancies and engineer to over come them onboard, not another box with more connections/cables!!!!"

AMR and iFi do pay particular attention to those matters in dac design, and deal with the shortcomings of spdif as well.

and likely other dacs in the iFi range. Between those and the various gadgets/cables they pretty well have everybody's back covered.

Not sure how you come to this conclusion: on the one hand "the DACs design already deal with these" and on the other hand, there are additional accessories to clean up the USB. This is contradictory.

In my iFi iDSD Nano, there is a definite improvement in SQ when I cut off the computer power and have only Data coming from the Computer. I get further SQ enhancements with a filter at the computer-side as well as injecting clean power DAC-side, with either a Linear Power Supply or a battery charger/pack giving better results than an SMPS IMO and even further SQ with additional modifications on the connection and PSU.

I agree with @robocop that ideally, these technologies should either be included in the DAC, but of course, at a certain price point, which is to be expected, or else what I believe is that the whole of the USB connection as well as how the DAC allwos power in should be revised.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Getting the silencer and defender to work with the I purifier 2 and intona... Just a bit more burning in on my phones..

[ATTACH]32615[/ATTACH]

This is the kind of thing I would like, and I hope others would like too - to avoid.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

This is the kind of thing I would like, and I hope others would like too - to avoid.

LOL, it's called a train wreck.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Haha I knew it would be a Chic addition to my audiophile chain. Less mess near my phone but hard to add a clean battery supply to the defender. So the ridiculous 2 extra adapters (blue grey A B)of a train wreck. Hopefully most of this will be gone but I took a hit to see what works...

The wife did a double take when she saw this mess...

Not sure how you come to this conclusion: on the one hand "the DACs design already deal with these" and on the other hand, there are additional accessories to clean up the USB. This is contradictory.

In my iFi iDSD Nano, there is a definite improvement in SQ when I cut off the computer power and have only Data coming from the Computer. I get further SQ enhancements with a filter at the computer-side as well as injecting clean power DAC-side, with either a Linear Power Supply or a battery charger/pack giving better results than an SMPS IMO and even further SQ with additional modifications on the connection and PSU.

I agree with @robocop that ideally, these technologies should either be included in the DAC, but of course, at a certain price point, which is to be expected, or else what I believe is that the whole of the USB connection as well as how the DAC allwos power in should be revised.

In mentioning AMR I was obviously meaning the DP-777 dac and I meant to mention by name the iFi Retro 50, which has trickle down technology from the DP-777. The only accessories I have added to these are iPurifier2's and (my choice...I feed these with LPS, which are filtered with DC iPurifiers via iFi Gemini cables as mentioned earlier.

I have not kept close watch on the other iFi dacs, but as iFi go along they tend to upgrade the newer gear. As you say price has a bearing of course, but at least the options are there to upgrade performance with add on's as desired and budget allows.

For those desiring spdif connection both of the above dacs include optimising tech on board as well.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Getting the silencer and defender to work with the I purifier 2 and intona... Just a bit more burning in on my phones..

[ATTACH]32615[/ATTACH]

Middy, you can replace all of those with a single micro iUSB3.0 :D

Middy, you can replace all of those with a single micro iUSB3.0 :D

I'm not so sure about the Ifi isolation, they never mention a voltage that it can withstand without creep, like the Intona industrial or standard of 4kV or 1kV respectively.

The PSU for ifi products were shown in a poor light and compared to linear supplies. For isolation an LPS-1 is isolated from output to input completely, this is what's necessary to stop contamination through the power supply. Sadly all these fixes just add complexity and make a real mess of the signal chain. Looking at all this AES3 and AOIP have benefits for pcm and would be superior to USB since isolation is already built in. They are unfortunately hopeless at supporting DSD.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA