IGNORED

CD Ripping to NAS - Oppo BDP-103 - Synology 416 Play NAS - dbPoweramp

Hello! I have a large collection of music on CD's that I would like to rip and store on my Synology 416 Play NAS, probably using Plex server? To rip the cd's onto the NAS, I was thinking of usinig my Oppo BDP-103 player, as it has ripping fuctionality, but would that be as good as dbPoweramp? Could I use the Oppo BDP-103's drive with dpPoweramp? My Bang&Olfsen system has a 3.5mm anolog input (no digital it's old) so I would need some kind of DAC to connect the NAS. The Oppo BDP-103 is in a diffrent room as the input, so using it as a server is not an option. I have 10TB of space to do this with, so I just want the best audio quality. Any ideas? I'm new to this whole scene, so I'm open to any other methods.

I think you are better off ripping on a PC using a program like dbPoweramp that checks the rip against the AccurateRip database and then copying the rips to your NAS.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Would I be better off going to a ripping company? I have hundreds of cd's to rip, it could take a while. I did it a while ago on a mac mini in iTunes *facepalm* and it took 3 months doing many CD's per day.

Might make sense for you.

There are also ripping robots:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/possible-rent-automated-cd-ripping-robot-19785/

Another alternative would be a tower PC with multiple drives and this:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/batch-ripper.htm

Thanks, I'll probably use my MacBook Pro running dbpoweramp with 4 external drives attached (4 core cpu) I may also make a arduino based auto loader :)

Unfortunately the dbpoweramp batch ripper appears to be only for PCs.

BTW, XLD is what I use for ripping program for the Mac.

Ok, ill just run bootcamp :) Btw, whats the best drive for this? I was thinking of buying 2-4 of them and attaching them via a usb to sata or just usb if they have it.

Unfortunately the dbpoweramp batch ripper appears to be only for PCs.

BTW, XLD is what I use for ripping program for the Mac.

Ok, ill just run bootcamp :) Btw, whats the best drive for this? I was thinking of buying 2-4 of them and attaching them via a usb to sata or just usb if they have it.

Not sure. I haven't bought an external optical drive in years.

I've been pretty happy with everything I've bought from OWC:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives/

Cool, thats what I was thinking of. I have an apple Superdrive, will it be lacking in quality over a more expensive drive both running Accurate Rip, or does Accurate Rip make drive quality irrelevant?

A higher quality drive may be able to better handle CDs that are somewhat damaged, rip your CDs faster, or last longer but drive quality has no effect on the quality of the final rip.

A rip either matches what's on the CD or it does. AccurateRip checks by comparing what you got to what others got. If your rip is the same as what 20 other folks got, you can be fairly certain it's a good rip.

AccurateRip checks by comparing what you got to what others got. If your rip is the same as what 20 other folks got, you can be fairly certain it's a good rip.

Main issue there is unsertified sources used for filling the database. We nothing know about studio master's binary content.

What do if there for 20: 10:10 or 5:4:6:5?

Even 19:1 don't guarantee what 19 have correct result.

Even 20 similar database entries does not guarantee 100% identity CD and studio binary master audio file.

I suppose, all (or almost all) modern CD drives have own system error detection that available to CD rippers. There also no 100% probability. But why it is need additional network system?

Using several reading tricks and statictical processing we can not only found error, but try restore original binary content of a CD (without 100% probability, of course).

Details here Safe Audio CD Ripping Technology

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Other issues to consider are the condition of your CDs. W DB power amp you can set the number of passes it makes to correct or get a better read/rip but my experience was that if the disc has defects it will slow the rip to a crawl and second it is really hard in disc drives. I used DB power amp initially on pc and it wore out the built in drive. For Ripping w my Macs I bought an external drive built by Pioneer. It is expensive but has lasted and done a great job. Ultimately I decided to limit the passes to one additional pass. Clean discs before ripping. I rip as either a Wave file, AIFF or uncompressed Flac. In my opinion between the three Wave sounds the best. I do most ripping in Wave. I use J River to access my music and run Mac mini into a McIntosh preamp w dac via USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile