IGNORED

Question about SOtM sMS-200 usb audio out?

My current DAC only way of receiving power is over USB. I have the ability to power it over the USB and send it digital signal through S/PDIF, but I just ordered a SOtM sMS-200 and I would like to use it in my setup. I am wandering if the sMS-200 audio usb port sends digital audio signal as well as 5v power. I know some high end audio units strip the 5v power line out of a USB to remove a possible source of noise, so that is what made me curious as to whether the sMS-200 will power my DAC as well as send it digital signal. I have asked the question twice to SOtM, but there appears to be a translation issue and they think I am just confirming that I can send digital signal to my DAC via USB. I know that if it does not output power over USB then I will be forced to buy something like the UpTone Audio USB Regen to allow me to add power to the line cleanly from my linear supply. If anyone has insight on this issue please share your knowledge. If I need a device to add power to the USB line then I would like to order it now so I am not sitting staring at the sMS-200 waiting to hear it.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Ethernet Direct > Passively Cooled, Fanless, Motionless HDPLEX H1.S w/ MSI H110i Pro, i5-6400T, 16GB DDR4 (powered by HDPlex 100W Linear PS > HDPlex 300W DC-ATX HIFI PS) Asynchronous USB Out > Uptone Audio Regen USB > Resonessence Labs Concero HD

Happy Listening!

My current DAC only way of receiving power is over USB. I have the ability to power it over the USB and send it digital signal through S/PDIF, but I just ordered a SOtM sMS-200 and I would like to use it in my setup. I am wandering if the sMS-200 audio usb port sends digital audio signal as well as 5v power. I know some high end audio units strip the 5v power line out of a USB to remove a possible source of noise, so that is what made me curious as to whether the sMS-200 will power my DAC as well as send it digital signal. I have asked the question twice to SOtM, but there appears to be a translation issue and they think I am just confirming that I can send digital signal to my DAC via USB. I know that if it does not output power over USB then I will be forced to buy something like the UpTone Audio USB Regen to allow me to add power to the line cleanly from my linear supply. If anyone has insight on this issue please share your knowledge. If I need a device to add power to the USB line then I would like to order it now so I am not sitting staring at the sMS-200 waiting to hear it.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Hi Mike, I can't help with the SOtM but these units have a good reputation.

Import tax might be an issue if you are in a non European location.

or a second hand Regen (not an immediate solution, though).

USB audio power supply, galvanical isolated, audiophile USB Power supply, isolated USB low noise transformer, USB DAC power supply, audiophile power supply

I am wandering

Where to?

I've redacted my answer, as I may make a mistake with that hardware with which I am unfamiliar with. It looks like it's a type of network streamer/player. So, normally it would be used to get files from the network and play them directly rather than your idea of it powering a DAC and sending files to that (the manual does show a USB port for an "external audio device" separate from the USB ports for external USB Storage device).

I have kept the previous portion as this may be generally helpful:

Now, whether this is the best thing is another question.

In that case, you can try a few alternatives, but the results may vary depending on how clean the power from these USB Ports are and how isolated your DAC is and how it works for handshake and signaling:

- Try a USB cable with physically separate data and power lines.

- Try a split USB cable, so that you can inject clean power at the DAC end (Linear Power Supply or a battery - you need 5.25V max here)

Instead of a split USB cable, you can try the iFi Defender 3.0 solution which tackles ground loops and also allows clean power injection through a little port.

For me, both the physically separate lines as well as clean power are a must.

There are several commercial products to get you there.

---

That manual though...

In conclusion, you may not need another DAC with this device, but Hans below says this single USB device port is 'dedicated to Audio' (could mean it is data-only, could mean the power is cleaned up, who knows, it's rather alarming they can't answer a simple question in English and the manual is confusing...):

[video=youtube;TV-FvRF9KGA]

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Doesn't the SOTM sMS-200 have an internal DAC as well (checking the back of it, it could be an endpoint device only as well, requiring a DAC, the info there in confusing...)?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels