IGNORED

SOtM sMS-200 with ifi audio iusb micro 3.0

I use my sms-200 as NAA for hqplayer and it works like a charm.

Although I haven't tried the micro usb 3.0, I did try my ipurifier2 after the sotm and quite frankly, I haven't noticed any worthwhile improvement.

The sms-200 sounds smooth and detailed in the treble with a fast energetic bass, especially with a good power supply (which is an absolute must btw), so if you haven't got that already, it'd be best concetrating your efforts primarily in that area first, or on network refinement, rather than usb add-ons, which may follow later on, I suppose.

I use my sms-200 as NAA for hqplayer and it works like a charm.

Although I haven't tried the micro usb 3.0, I did try my ipurifier2 after the sotm and quite frankly, I haven't noticed any worthwhile improvement.

The sms-200 sounds smooth and detailed in the treble with a fast energetic bass, especially with a good power supply (which is an absolute must btw), so if you haven't got that already, it'd be best concetrating your efforts primarily in that area first, or on network refinement, rather than usb add-ons, which may follow later on, I suppose.

Hello Tedwoods. My Sotm is powered by a Teradak 30w, runs in mpd/ dlna, content is on NAS. Thinking about the next upgrade; a nuc running Roon with sms200 as a NAA, or changing the lpsu into a better one from uptone , Sotm Paul hynes etc.

What would be your advice?

Hi Lebousky,

In my system, the power supply change brought the most drastic improvement.

With the sms-200, I got great results with both DLNA (minimserver) and NAA.

The use of either one is mostly dependant on personal priorities, I guess.

But Roon, hqplayer, NAA is a rather special experience, if I may add...

Hi Lebousky,

In my system, the power supply change brought the most drastic improvement.

With the sms-200, I got great results with both DLNA (minimserver) and NAA.

The use of either one is mostly dependant on personal priorities, I guess.

But Roon, hqplayer, NAA is a rather special experience, if I may add...

May I ask what psu you use?

Sorry for being not clear. The fact is that I already own the ifi iusb 3 micro and I am wondering about adding the sms200 to the equation, switching from a generic hardware naa with linear power. Do you guys think that chaining the sms200 output to the ifi micro is a good idea?

Sorry for being not clear. The fact is that I already own the ifi iusb 3 micro and I am wondering about adding the sms200 to the equation, switching from a generic hardware naa with linear power. Do you guys think that chaining the sms200 output to the ifi micro is a good idea?

Getting the sms200 is a no-brainer, really.

It would most definitely sound superior to a generic NAA.

Whether or not the i-fi would make a worthwhile difference, if placed after it, depends a lot on the dac it will be used with too.

For example, if its USB bus is not self-powered, then the i-fi would certainly be beneficial, merely by helping provide cleaner power to it.

Of course, there are many other parameters to consider, but after all is said and done, it's still the NAA that's bound to matter most on the overall sound quality.