IGNORED

What Audio Related Gear Did You Buy Yourself For Christmas?

By now, a fair number of you will have learned that you will only ever get exactly what you want for Christmas if you buy it yourself. Especially in terms of gifts such as audio equipment or related things that are highly technical.

What did you buy yourself for Christmas?

I'll start. In reworking my system, I spent most of the last month auditioning speakers, I purchased a lovely pair of Sonus Faber Olympica III's just in time to qualify for a Christmas present to myself! :)

A good friend bought himself a PS Audio DirectStream DAC and Bridge 2 as his Christmas gift to himself.

JC

I bought an Uptone Ultra CAP LPS-1 and sadly it has not yet arrived :-) the Christmas tree is gone, I am back to work, all alone without my toys at home...But now I learn, the OEM was playing with toys himself and therefore could not ship yet.

Keep em coming, Superdad

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Since I earn royalties from music and still compose and produce, I submit separate accounts for that activity and so my audio gear is also tax deductable.

My main rig is connected via 50m AES-EBU to my studio at the other end of the house so I can mix in the studio and then remote into my machine from the lounge and finish the mix on the main rig.

My system has helped me no end become better at what I do, it has played a key role in improving my skills and output.

And since I'm in the biz, my audio toys are a tax deduction! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

.But now I learn, the OEM was playing with toys himself and therefore could not ship yet.

Hehehe :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I finally decided to dip a toe into the world of high-efficiency single-driver loudspeakers and purchased myself a pair of Omega Super 3i's in the EKO Ash Tweed finish. They arrived in time for Christmas and my week-long vacation. Joy.

You will love those Omegas. I have a pair of the Super Alnico High Outputs. Louis Chochos makes great speakers.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I bought a Linear Tube Audio(LTA) MicroZotl 2 preamp and a LTA Zotl10 amp. Both are tube OTL and 10 mighty watts from EL84s.

David Berning designed both units and LTA licenses from him. No bling, just great sound. Very dynamic, great tonality, with loads of detail. Works great with my Omegas.

If you think that single driver speakers cannot do full orchestra try some of the bigger Omega Alnicos.

System

I bought a Linear Tube Audio(LTA) MicroZotl 2 preamp and a LTA Zotl10 amp. Both are tube OTL and 10 mighty watts from EL84s.

David Berning designed both units and LTA licenses from him. No bling, just great sound. Very dynamic, great tonality, with loads of detail. Works great with my Omegas.

If you think that single driver speakers cannot do full orchestra try some of the bigger Omega Alnicos.

Hi Mourip,

I've had my eye on the microZotl preamp. Anything you can share on it's SQ is appreciated.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I also bought a microZotl 2.0s with a remote and upgraded tubes. What a beautiful sound.

Mark has a 30 return policy so no worries just go for it. You will not be disappointed!!

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

You will love those Omegas. I have a pair of the Super Alnico High Outputs. Louis Chochos makes great speakers.

I'm already enamored with them. I also bought a couple of low-powered amps to play with, namely, a Fleawatt Audio TPA3116D2 Integrated and an APPJ PA0901A single ended triode Chi-Fi wonder. Twas a fun Christmas!

Here's the Super 3i's:

Omega Super 3i EKO Ash Tweed 3.jpg

Omega Super 3i EKO Ash Tweed 1.jpg

Hi Mourip,

I've had my eye on the microZotl preamp. Anything you can share on it's SQ is appreciated.

Larry

First off it is completely quiet. No tube hum and a dark background. It also runs very cool and I understand that the way the tubes are run their life span is a lot longer than normal. It has great dynamics and a sense of realism. There is lot of detail but it still imparts mid-range warmth. Vocals are especially good as well as violin and brass. Bass is solid but not overly emphasized.

The basic unit comes stock with reissue Gold Lion tubes and a custom external SMPS supply. I opted for the upgraded version with a linear supply and am using NOS tubes. The NOS tubes made a huge difference. The newest version of their board has a jumper to support either 6v or 12v for the output tubes. I first tried some NOS RCA 12SN7s. Next up was a pair of Kenrad VT231's. Those were much better yet. The input tubes were NOS 6201's, a 12AT7 variant.

To be honest I have not yet put the headphone output to the test as I am using this in my speaker rig but I understand that it is a giant killer.

LTA offers a trial period and they are great to work with. I live about 3 miles from their factory and store front called Urban HiFi so it has been fun seeing the units made and meeting the team there. They are also open to custom options and suggestions for improvement.

System

I upgraded my Vandersteen Treos to Audi Havanna Black Quatros. It is the first or one of the first paint d Quatros that they have done and I can't wait to get them. I've yet to hear any speaker under 30k that does all that they do. Just another remarkable speaker by Richard Vandersteen.

It amazes me how some of these older, audio hall of fame companies can refocus and bring in new blood but keep so true to their roots.

Fun thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

First off it is completely quiet. No tube hum and a dark background. It also runs very cool and I understand that the way the tubes are run their life span is a lot longer than normal. It has great dynamics and a sense of realism. There is lot of detail but it still imparts mid-range warmth. Vocals are especially good as well as violin and brass. Bass is solid but not overly emphasized.

The basic unit comes stock with reissue Gold Lion tubes and a custom external SMPS supply. I opted for the upgraded version with a linear supply and am using NOS tubes. The NOS tubes made a huge difference. The newest version of their board has a jumper to support either 6v or 12v for the output tubes. I first tried some NOS RCA 12SN7s. Next up was a pair of Kenrad VT231's. Those were much better yet. The input tubes were NOS 6201's, a 12AT7 variant.

To be honest I have not yet put the headphone output to the test as I am using this in my speaker rig but I understand that it is a giant killer.

LTA offers a trial period and they are great to work with. I live about 3 miles from their factory and store front called Urban HiFi so it has been fun seeing the units made and meeting the team there. They are also open to custom options and suggestions for improvement.

Mourip,

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like I'll be near Washington DC inauguration weekend, and may stop by the storefront. I have a friend that just bought the zotl amp for powering the midrange drivers of his avant garde duo's and loves the sound.

I also appreciate the upgrade advice, way cool!

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio