IGNORED

Damaged my Turntable or my reciver ?

I have one of the newer audio technica turntables that have a 3.5mm to rca plugs and I had it plugged into my reciver with a phono preamp and I had it turned slightly loud when the needle hit the record and instantly I heard a god awful sound and realized I had it on the line setting. Did I damage the line amp or the phone amp on my turntable, to be honest I could give a crap less about the receiver.

I have one of the newer audio technica turntables that have a 3.5mm to rca plugs and I had it plugged into my reciver with a phono preamp and I had it turned slightly loud when the needle hit the record and instantly I heard a god awful sound and realized I had it on the line setting. Did I damage the line amp or the phone amp on my turntable, to be honest I could give a crap less about the receiver.

I doubt the turntable was damaged, but you *might* have damaged the input on the receiver. Only way to know id to test it and see if it still works. You won't hurt it *more* by trying. ;-)

I think it sounds fine , one speaker is louder then the other one , but that's the same on my phone too , I think my left tweeter is weak. When I turn my reciver 100% up on the preamp there is a hum , but is mostly equal on both sides right channel and left. There is no hum on any other channel , I'm just worried I ruined this brand new turntable , like fatigued it. If I put the turntable on the line setting and put it in the cd in port , it sounds mostly ok , and then sounds the same on the phono setting on the turntable useing the phono pre-amp on the reciver , minus me useing kenwood's from1990.

I think it sounds fine , one speaker is louder then the other one , but that's the same on my phone too , I think my left tweeter is weak. When I turn my reciver 100% up on the preamp there is a hum , but is mostly equal on both sides right channel and left. There is no hum on any other channel , I'm just worried I ruined this brand new turntable , like fatigued it. If I put the turntable on the line setting and put it in the cd in port , it sounds mostly ok , and then sounds the same on the phono setting on the turntable useing the phono pre-amp on the reciver , minus me useing kenwood's from1990.

This is exactly correct. Vinyl is pressed with what is called an RIAA equalization (lot a technical reasons having to do with groove depth and width). Before you actually listen to the record, that equalization has to be reversed back out.

The old system was that amplifiers had PHONO IN and whatever was plugged in there had the reverse curve applied. Turntables typically just had PHONO OUT and no way to change the output.

Now a lot of amps only have AUDIO IN and so a lot of TT manufacturers have added a PHONO OUT / LINE OUT switch and built the RIAA reversing into the TT.

LINE IN/OUT means flat signal needing no adjustment.

PHONO IN/OUT means RIAA signal needing correct adjustment at receiving end.

If your Amp has a PHONO IN, then set the switch on your TT to PHONO OUT and plug in there. All should be well.

It is very unlikely that you can put in a line level or phono level signal that is loud enough to damage the electronic components in your amp. It is far more likely that you would damage a speaker with a loud or clipped signal.

Android , is it possible that the turn table amp , both line and phono was damaged in any way. I don't care about the cheep Sony receiver I'm using .

Phono and line out drive about +/- 1v at tiny currents. You could probably pound on your needle with a hammer and not hurt any electronics. Of course that would be bad for your needle.

Speakers cones and coils and speaker amplification output circuit transistors are really the only thing that can be damaged by "too loud". Anything at line or any kind of audio or video interconnect runs at very low voltage and amps. Just barely enough to maintain a signal. I'm sure your TT is fine.