IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Compared to what?

The current system that provides more publicity by labels.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

15 hours ago, Jud said:

The current system that provides more publicity by labels.

Jud maybe I’m biased but I find new music from listening to radio stations traveling and now through the internet (bias one 15 years consulting in the broadcast industry) that play new music or stuff not on formula playlists (bias number two the term Americana was created to have a category for folk, roots, country and rock that didn’t fit in a category). Attending concerts and festivals meeting band members and having favorite venues where you trust the people doing the bookings is another way I find new music.  And of course the old standby playing golf, last Saturday in the southern part of the valley of the sun I played with a banjo player (bias number three the vast majority of stereo equipment can’t reproduce the sound of a banjo properly). I’ll check out his band and probably find others I like (bias number four get out and meet people everyone likes to talk about music).

I wondered when an audio journalist would slip up and write that the industry is supporting MQA to create a need to purchase new hardware. Here it is.

positive-feedback review of Mytek Brooklyn DAC by Pete Davey posted 5-7-17

"MQA is another topic I will not get into as it's still in its fresh newness phase. I can understand the merits behind it, and support what the industry is trying to do (breathe some new technology into the digital market), but I will admit I did not do much testing here. I did download a few sample files just to verify that it worked, and it did."

9 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

I wondered when an audio journalist would slip up and write that the industry is supporting MQA to create a need to purchase new hardware.

Rt66,  Looks like the guys have run out of gas in the debate for the second or third time now in this thread. LOL

Not to worry, after a bit of a reprieve another MQA drum beater story will emerge and we can start beating up on it all over again.  xD

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Rt66,  Looks like the guys have run out of gas in the debate for the second or third time now in this thread. LOL

Not to worry, after a bit of a reprieve another MQA drum beater story will emerge and we can start beating up on it all over again.  xD

Wait for the MQA announcements at Munich High End.  Then it will be game on again.

If Sony signs on, we'll hear all kinds of crap about how that means DSD is dead from people who don't really understand either MQA or DSD.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

18 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

No worries on my part, I'm in a lot of cases just documenting things I find interesting. And I'm having fun with Herb, Jason and someone named Pal on the Stereophile site. Jason has some interesting ideas about what DRM is. Not right but interesting.

20 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

No worries on my part, I'm in a lot of cases just documenting things I find interesting. And I'm having fun with Herb, Jason and someone named Pal on the Stereophile site. Jason has some interesting ideas about what DRM is. Not right but interesting.

Which thread?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I've been meaning to ask this... Can anyone point me towards an album that was actually recorded / produced / mastered from the outside with MQA in mind and results in something "as the artist / producer / recording engineer / rights holder intended it" that showcases what MQA is actually capable of among Tidal's 'Masters' collection?

13 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Thanks a lot, Kal!  Looks like Audioquest Dragonfly MQA firmware finally available 5/17.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here's another MQA press release. This one about content from the indie labels. 

MQA_Merlin_15_05_17_FINAL.pdf

Coming from a group that calls itself a "global digital rights agency." this should put to rest all those doubts about MQA being a form of "digital rights management." From the press release:

Merlin acts to ensure these companies have effective access to new and emerging revenue streams and that their rights are appropriately valued and protected.

Merlin has reached a number of high value copyright infringement settlements on behalf of its members with, amongst others, Limewire, XM Satellite Radio and Grooveshark.

I think you're seeing something that isn't there. Rights in this case isn't equal to a consumers digital rights. Copyrights and copyright enforcement is a much different thing. 

Artists can't track down copyright infringers themselves. I believe Merlin acts like a record label in a way, for the indies. 

For example: https://press.spotify.com/is/2017/04/20/spotify-and-merlin-agree-to-new-multi-year-global-license-agreement-for-the-worlds-leading-independent-record-labels/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think you're seeing something that isn't there. Rights in this case isn't equal to a consumers digital rights. Copyrights and copyright enforcement is a much different thing. 

Artists can't track down copyright infringers themselves. I believe Merlin acts like a record label in a way, for the indies. 

Huh? DRM and copyright enforcement are one and the same.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Copyright enforcement in this case is working with streaming companies to license material. A different side of a different coin. 

Merlin goes out of its way to mention both sides of that coin in the release.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm going to stop debating this one with you guys. If I continue I will be seen as a shill for MQA.

Not prepared to stand by your claims?

If MQA were just about sound quality, it would make no sense to mention it in relation to copyright.

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

Not prepared to stand by your claims?

If MQA were just about sound quality, it would make no sense to mention it in relation to copyright.

Say what you want mansr. If you really researched this one, rather than show your immediate and strong bias, you'd find much more to talk about that your same old broken record. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Say what you want mansr. If you really researched this one, rather than show your immediate and strong bias, you'd find much more to talk about that your same old broken record. 

How is it "bias" to consider sound quality and copyright licensing/enforcement separate issues?