IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

40 minutes ago, realhifi said:

(PS.  My whole album collection was stolen twice during those turbulent years and with it all my Black Oak albums so just being able to bring them up at the touch of a button?  Priceless. )

Yep, this is obviously one of many advantages of streaming.  I don't want to give the impression I'm against it.  I do have some concern over whether it might eventually make some of the music I like less available to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Yep, this is obviously one of many advantages of streaming.  I don't want to give the impression I'm against it.  I do have some concern over whether it might eventually make some of the music I like less available to me.

Downloads can be backed up in a secure location to protect against loss from theft, fire, etc.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

Downloads can be backed up in a secure location to protect against loss from theft, fire, etc.

Certainly.  I'm always on the lookout for new artists, and there, as I mentioned before, a several-months-long subscription to Tidal netted me exactly one new artist I liked who I hadn't known about before.  In that same time I encountered several new-to-me artists by other means who I liked and whose music was not available on Tidal (or if it was available, I couldn't find it).  It's those new artists I'm concerned about.

Edit: You may have been referring to what realhifi said about having albums stolen.  My files are backed up both at home and remotely, but I have something around 500 LPs, and I don't intend in the foreseeable future to do needle drops on all those.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

47 minutes ago, Jud said:

My files are backed up both at home and remotely, but I have something around 500 LPs, and I don't intend in the foreseeable future to do needle drops on all those.

Time consuming yes, but It does give you the opportunity to revisit music you may not have heard in a long time...  You get your recording chain set up and then just start spinning disc's while your doing other chores. One day you spin the last piece of vinyl and think "wow, that wasn't so bad". :D

I didn't do any track divisions on my drops, just Side 1 and 2 files. I always listened to whole albums for the 40 years before CD so I don't find it a sacrifice.

The convenience of having my LP collection on my computer and not having to mess with that whole vinyl handling ritual is heaven to me.

YMMV

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

39 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Time consuming yes, but It does give you the opportunity to revisit music you may not have heard in a long time...  You get your recording chain set up and then just start spinning disc's while your doing other chores. One day you spin the last piece of vinyl and think "wow, that wasn't so bad". :D

I didn't do any track divisions on my drops, just Side 1 and 2 files. I always listened to whole albums for the 40 years before CD so I don't find it a sacrifice.

The convenience of having my LP collection on my computer and not having to mess with that whole vinyl handling ritual is heaven to me.

YMMV

Yep, my mileage definitely varies.  :)

The needle drop project you were able to say "that wasn't so bad" about is something I have no desire to do (recognizing that you and others have done it and thoroughly enjoyed the results), while occasionally putting a record on my turntable, which bugged you enough that you digitized your whole LP collection, doesn't bother me a bit.

Edit: It's interesting that when I began playing around with computer audio, digitizing my LP collection is one of the first things I thought of.  But for whatever reason, over the years it's gotten less and less appealing to me.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Been keeping my eyes open for a CHEAP cloud based backup for my whole collection. Ideas?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Just now, Sal1950 said:

Been keeping my eyes open for a CHEAP cloud based backup for my whole collection. Ideas?

Is 60 bucks a year for unlimited secure remote storage cheap to you?

https://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&node=15547130011

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Amazon unlimited storage for $60/year is cheap enough for me.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

Now that sounds like a great option, I'll look into it.

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yep, my mileage definitely varies.

Now here's the perfect reason to digitize your LP's, the ability to back them up.

I almost lost my whole collection in a flood. Was able to salvage them by immediately drying the sleeves and washing all the records. But the water damage to the jackets did impose a severe hit to their resale value.

21 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Western Digital Mycloud are NAS units with there own cloud.  No charge.  Just purchase the NAS unit and you have your cloud.  I bought a 4TB unit for just under $200.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

1 minute ago, ShawnC said:

Western Digital Mycloud are NAS units with there own cloud.  No charge.  Just purchase the NAS unit and you have your cloud.  I bought a 4TB unit for just under $200.

Not much help if your house burns down though.

Just now, mansr said:

So true:o

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Certainly.  I'm always on the lookout for new artists, and there, as I mentioned before, a several-months-long subscription to Tidal netted me exactly one new artist I liked who I hadn't known about before.  In that same time I encountered several new-to-me artists by other means who I liked and whose music was not available on Tidal (or if it was available, I couldn't find it).  It's those new artists I'm concerned about.

I recently quit Tidal for similar reason.  For one thing, no ECM artists. At least on Pandora or similar service's ECM has single cuts, which when heard I can then look for that artists albums for purchase. ECM must allow their music to be available on radio type services that aren't "on demand" so people can at least get a glimpse of what the label is all about. 

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Edit: You may have been referring to what realhifi said about having albums stolen.  My files are backed up both at home and remotely, but I have something around 500 LPs, and I don't intend in the foreseeable future to do needle drops on all those.

Just for clarification I have acquired hundreds of albums since those days but I sure didn't repurchase all the ones I lost back then. Like yourself I have no desire to digitize them. I actually like the process of playing records. 

David

1 hour ago, mansr said:

LOL,  I already keep everything backed up on 2 separate harddrives. One I rsync here every couple weeks, the other I keep at a bud's house right down the street.  Works for a fire, not if a massive FL hurricane takes the whole hood away.  :o

30 minutes ago, realhifi said:

I recently quit Tidal for similar reason.  For one thing, no ECM artists.

Tons on Spotify. search shows 1,257 tracks

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Tons on Spotify. search shows 1,257 tracks

Thanks for the heads up. Just coming back to Spotify from trying out other services and getting used to some changes. Looks like a few great playlists for ECM. 

David

On 5/1/2017 at 10:25 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hey, don't put words in my mouth :~)

If anything, I feel resigned to my fate as a consumer of music. Two of the three largest labels are owned by public companies, while the third one is owned by a holding company. I don't believe we as an industry have any clout or ability to influence without authority. 

Maybe I'm feeling a bit negative about it all :~|

Chris this is good time to point out the industry as it works in the United States today shouldn’t have any clout with the labels. All a label sees with high end audio is an aging shrinking customer base. And an industry that can’t or won’t see itself objectively has nothing to offer a label because it can’t speak with a consistent group of voices to the larger organization.

As for the ability to influence without authority does high end audio have anyone with an inspiring vision? Not that I’ve seen at two shows. Can the industry make the labels problems their own? I don’t see high end audio understanding the metrics needed to motivate people at the labels and how the industry could help them with their goals and help itself in the process. And finally the industry has not invested in relationships with the labels that would benefit both sides.

6 hours ago, realhifi said:

Thanks for the heads up. Just coming back to Spotify from trying out other services and getting used to some changes. Looks like a few great playlists for ECM. 

Here's hoping they start streaming a higher data rate soon.

FLAC 16/44 lossless, NOT MQA!  LOL

19 hours ago, Jud said:

Isn't that the laws of supply and demand?

Eventually, streaming or no streaming, if there is a market for the music you like (the one difficult to find), then some clever mind will put it back on the market.

If there never was a market for that music, then you benefited from marketing glitches of the record companies back in the day.

They'll do some more in the future and they'll likely stay in the catalog even if streamed by 2 people in the world (because it won't cost them anything to do so and it'll inflate the catalog).

17 hours ago, Jud said:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&node=15547130011

Nothing personal Judd :-)

But I kind of like the idea of not subscribing to streaming providers and own your files to then subscribe remote storage and store these files in a place that you don't own => in the end it's the same : you stop paying, you've nothing. :-)

(unless it's a remote back up of your local HDrives...)

18 minutes ago, Fyper said:

Nothing personal Judd :-)

But I kind of like the idea of not subscribing to streaming providers and own your files to then subscribe remote storage and store these files in a place that you don't own => in the end it's the same : you stop paying, you've nothing. :-)

(unless it's a remote back up of your local HDrives...)

That's exactly what it is, a remote backup for the three copies of all my music files I have at home (two HDDs in separate locations, and SD cards that double as backup and my music collection when I travel).

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

That's exactly what it is, a remote backup for the three copies of all my music files I have at home (two HDDs in separate locations, and SD cards that double as backup and my music collection when I travel).

Nevermind :$