IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

54 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

many, many people have seen that screenshot

Perhaps, but it is the first time it has happened to me with C.A. , and it didn't go away immediately.

The initial waning can be seen to be saved at 9.29AM today, Sydney Au. time.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps, but it is the first time it has happened to me with C.A. , and it didn't go away immediately.

Norton has been known over the years to generate a false positive from time to time, I wouldn't worry too much about It unless you were visiting a site with questionable pedigree.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

*Negative* audiophile fluff about MQA like that Audiobacon piece are about as credible as MQA marketing fluff.   There's no solid evidence I know of that indicates MQA will either impart or remove 'warmth' or 'density'...or any clearly audible difference at all, for that matter.   (Same for 'oversampling done with software', a pretty broad brush category)  

For Absolute Sound and J. Valin's review of the MSB Reference DAC

"...as we’re talking about streaming and MQA, let me take a moment to voice an amateur opinion. A lot of folks (including some who make DACs) seem to think that MQA is a bamboozle of sorts—a new compression scheme in sheep’s clothing. All I can say is that if it is a compression scheme, it’s the best one of all time..."

43 minutes ago, sullis02 said:

*Negative* audiophile fluff about MQA like that Audiobacon piece are about as credible as MQA marketing fluff.   There's no solid evidence I know of that indicates MQA will either impart or remove 'warmth' or 'density'...or any clearly audible difference at all, for that matter.   (Same for 'oversampling done with software', a pretty broad brush category)  

I agree though it is entirely possible a different master was used for the MQA version,  and that could be responsible for the apparent differences.   I remember playing Gorf at the local arcade and "Highway to Hell" from AC/DC started up and the sound nearly immobilized me as I was just mesmerized by the beat.  I have not heard any recent mastering of AC/DC from streaming services or a CD that match the album's outstanding intensity from back then.   There may have been drugs and/or alcohol involved.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:30 PM, Sonicularity said:

I  I have not heard any recent mastering of AC/DC from streaming services or a CD that match the album's outstanding intensity from back then.   There may have been drugs and/or alcohol involved.

Better hearing thru chemistry is what Dupont used to tell us.

Or something close to that. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FredericV said:

Today an android based player was updated, and this part of the message is interesting:

image.thumb.png.bb60d19a575cc7c6b48c65a12bcfd8d9.png

So the MQA decoder retails for € 3.49 while other companies are asking 50$ to enable MQA.
I would not be surprised that the MQA licensing cost is probably 1 or 2 euro per node.

Fascinating thanks. 

On 12/19/2018 at 1:27 AM, mansr said:

If? Nobody ever said it wasn't a compression scheme.

I think Valin was just being sloppy and meant to say "lossy" compression scheme. And of course, MQA marketing material did falsely call it "lossless" at first.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, FredericV said:

Today an android based player was updated, and this part of the message is interesting:

image.thumb.png.bb60d19a575cc7c6b48c65a12bcfd8d9.png

So the MQA decoder retails for € 3.49 while other companies are asking 50$ to enable MQA.
I would not be surprised that the MQA licensing cost is probably 1 or 2 euro per node.

I think you need to differentiate between the licensing cost and implementing unfolding (prob around a few EUR) and the cost of implementation of rendering - which requires actual work on the filter selection side, and might have additional licensing costs as well. Given for example the amount of work dCS has invested in getting MQA implemented properly in their DACs, $50 seems a bargain! :)

BTW... dCS implemented this without an additional charge.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

I think you need to differentiate between the licensing cost and implementing unfolding (prob around a few EUR) and the cost of implementation of rendering - which requires actual work on the filter selection side, and might have additional licensing costs as well.

The renderer is quite simple. In terms of code size, it is less than 10% of the "core" decoder.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

The renderer is quite simple. In terms of code size, it is less than 10% of the "core" decoder.

Understood, but the core decoder (if I understand correctly) is a binary provided by MQA for the appropriate platform, whereas you’re on your own coding the rendering. Is this not the case?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

16 hours ago, miguelito said:

Understood, but the core decoder (if I understand correctly) is a binary provided by MQA for the appropriate platform, whereas you’re on your own coding the rendering. Is this not the case?

I'm pretty sure they provide both for common platforms. If you're using something exotic, you may need to do some more work.

20 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Folks, this might be interesting for you. This MQA + Pro iDSD setup guide in Tidal is actually valid for all MQA decoding DACs. Enjoy!

I did not play the video, but the still image showing "MQA" and "352kHz" is interesting because MQA does not actually sample that high (topping out at 96kHz), it rather upsamples to it...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!