IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

6 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

With all due respect, you failed to understand what I wrote. MQA-encoded files only have 2 sample rates, 44.1kHz or 48kHz. I was referring to what happened spectrally when those files are unfolded.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Forget sample rates for now.  You said lossy "Above 44.1kHz or 48kHz".  Implying that it is lossless below this.

15 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

You have continued to claim that MQA'd albums sound BETTER than the masters. You can't have it both ways.

Well of course he can. That's the whole claim of MQA: that their altered files/sound superior, because they correct errors in the original recording/conventional playback chain. 

Whether that is true or not is a different question. I don't think JA has ever been one of those claiming that MQA isn't lossy. The question is whether they are losing something audible and/or adding something actually improving the SQ of the result. 
It is not logically impossible for the MQA claim to be true. There are psycho acoustics involved which could theoretically make such a claim possible. 

One of the issues with MQA and some of their supporters is that instead of clearly stating their claim that MQA is "perceptually lossless" they repeatedly say - or strongly imply - that it is lossless. That's a demonstrably false claim. The quality of the resulting SQ is something else entirely, and a different debate. As are all the other aspects about MQA being a "market control" tool for the labels, sleth DRM, etc.

In any case, MQA doesn't seem to have gotten any traction in the marketplace at all. In most of the world it is basically non-existent. It's only success has been Tidal hi-fi streaming, and that is a fraction of a percent of the market. Barring a major shift, it will probably cease to exist in practical terms in a year or two. I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers stop supporting it, or only supporting  the "first unfold", which frees them from all the bother of dealing with MQA filterings and the resulting problems of implementation. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

13 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I was referring to the fact that any time someone posts a positive comment on the sound of MQA files to CA, people like you swarm like a host of white blood cells to repel the intruder. You seem incapable of comprehending that your opinions on MQA may not be shared by others. Like I said, groupthink,

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Not accurate. There's an entire thread here for giving recommendations of good sounding MQA classical files.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

58 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

So if you can exploit the fact that random noise is random noise, ie, if, when decoded, it has the same level and spectral content as that on the original signal to be encoded, you can exploit that fact to create a pseudo-random noise signal that includes a buried data channel. This is not new - Alan Turing did this in the 1940s and Peter Craven and the late Michael Gerzon did something very similar in the 1990s.

Hi,

If dither was applied to recordings for 16bit encodings, which was to remove the correlated noise which could be heard at the lowest level possible, where is the study that every recording in the world can give up 4bit or 3 bits from the 16bits to be used for MQA ?

58 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

But again you don't get something for nothing: that time-domain optimization of the digital transmission chain allows for there to be aliased energy in the reconstructed signal. This was discussed both by Paul Miller and by Jim Austin in Stereophile. But in my point 4 above, as the energy above Nyquist with music in the original analog signal is low, so will be the level of any aliased signals in the baseband.

So what is the point of MQA or any other high resolution offering ?

Full 16bit 44.1kHz is sufficient. There are no time domain issues with a linear filter, as long as it has sufficient order and stop band attenuation.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

Thank you for posting the link to my original article . Note that I wrote "musical information." LPCM encodes both music and the original analog background noise with the same precision up to Nyquist. From the article:

If you look closely at the red and blue traces [in fig.1 at https://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa ], four things become apparent:

1) That a sample rate of >96kHz is required to encode all of the music information in this recording.
2) That the information present above around about 55kHz is noise.
3) That within the baseband (<24kHz), the noisefloor is above the 16-bit quantization limit.
4) That the musical information only occupies a fraction of the information space, generally a triangle-shaped area with the greatest dynamic range at low frequencies and the smallest dynamic range at ultrasonic frequencies. This is because of the fundamentally self-similar nature of music with respect to its spectral content.

So if you can exploit the fact that random noise is random noise, ie, if, when decoded, it has the same level and spectral content as that on the original signal to be encoded, you can exploit that fact to create a pseudo-random noise signal that includes a buried data channel. This is not new - Alan Turing did this in the 1940s and Peter Craven and the late Michael Gerzon did something very similar in the 1990s.

So yes, while the output of the decoded MQA file does not have the same bits as the original PCM-encoded analog signal, and is, in that  sense lossy, as I wrote, you don't get something for nothing -  the musical information is preserved, up to Nyquist with 2Fs sample rates and up to the limit of the musical spectrum at 4Fs rates.

You then get the advantage, as I described in my September 2018 article on A/D conversion - https://www.stereophile.com/content/zen-art-ad-conversion and was also touched on by Paul Miller in the July 2017 issue of Hi-Fi News - of more accurately preserving the time-domain aspect of the original signal. But again you don't get something for nothing: that time-domain optimization of the digital transmission chain allows for there to be aliased energy in the reconstructed signal. This was discussed both by Paul Miller and by Jim Austin in Stereophile. But in my point 4 above, as the energy above Nyquist with music in the original analog signal is low, so will be the level of any aliased signals in the baseband.

The question then becomes: is this tradeoff worthwhile when it comes to sound quality? My experience has been that it is; others, particularly on this forum, say that it isn't. Recording engineer Tony Faulkner, in a letter I published in Stereophile, also says that he is bothered by the presence of the aliased image energy in the baseband. This surprised me, as Tony pioneered the use of a moving average anti-aliasing filter that doesn't have much rejection of energy above Nyquist - see https://www.stereophile.com/reference/104law/index.html .

So it goes ?

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

.."you don't get something for nothing.."

No you don't..

-so EVERY MQA file does not have the same bits as the original..LOSSY..or as you say in your typical passive

aggressive manner, "in that sense lossy"

-there is aliasing, in other words, distortion.

Let's add to that, required hardware upgrades or purchases, fees paid, and a closed proprietary DRM's system..

So tell us again, please why we need MQA?????

You are Cinderella, and the clock is approaching midnight.

The fact that believe the trade off is worth it makes your judgement and hearing highly suspect.

33 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Hi Chris. Do you also affirm Sal's repeated "Shame on you John"? To me, this implies a moral judgement of J.A.'s behavior, which has to include a determination of JA's intent. This involves some mind reading that, in my view, several members have engaged in liberally when it comes to addressing JA. This strikes me as unhelpful, unwarranted, hostile, and inappropriate. In my opinion John's conscience  is better equipped to guide him in discerning an ethical issue here. Shaming him regarding this issue is not much better than stating that he is taking bribes from MQA without any factual information that indicates this. He has taken great pains to deny this several times.I'm not surprised that he would find some of the things said to and about him offensive.

Where do you stand on this? What do you see as your responsibility as moderator in this regard?

I’m not into shaming people for whatever that means. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The media business ... whether TV, print, internet ... has always been about effective delivery of advertising.  The content is tailored to attract the target audience.  Since when were audio publications any different?  I think what gets people upset with MQA is that the content itself (reviews) has become an advertising message.

It's like a sportscast focused on what brand of shoes the athletes wear rather than their game performance.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 9/22/2018 at 9:24 AM, Brinkman Ship said:

"As for MQA's ability to "fold" and "unfold" very large files for streaming and playback, hearing 24/96 and 24/192 files streamed through the Nyquist via Tidal was an ear-opener. Had this been CD sound in 1983, I'd still be an LP guy—but I'd also be all in with digital."
https://www.stereophile.com/content/brinkmann-audio-nyquist-da-processor-page-2#jLhDX4J4LcdghJcP.99

@christopher3393, think about this quote for just a second.  It is so meaningless, so subjectivised - and on top of that technically wrong - what is the real reason for Stereophile to publish it?

It is this industry insider commitment to make MQA plausible even though it is against your interests in every significant way.  Why would ANYONE trust Fremer & John Atkinson and their ilk even when there was no apparent and obvious conflict of interest between your needs as a consumer/music lover and the industries (as there is with MQA)?  When they are not trying to sell you something, what are they trying to sell you?!? These guys are no more and no less than sophisticated (well, in Fremer's case not very) embodiments of the carney game host.  Stop reading them people!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

6 hours ago, rickca said:

Since when were audio publications any different? 

Back in the "golden days" of audio and the first beginnings of high end audio. Stereophile, TAS, Audio Critic, IAR, and more were all advertisement free and based on the promise that they would be free of outside influence in their reviews.

We all know how long that lasted.  :(

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I think MQA will be DOA in a couple more years. Hopefully sooner. They shot themselves in the foot by using lossy compression. What were they thinking! Audiophiles were going to go for this? And the average Joe could care less abut audio quality. So it's a lose-lose-lose situation. The third lose is for the financial loss to the fools who invested in this nonsense.

18 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

What does Stereophile now stand for in today's world, what's good for the consumer or what's good for the record companies?

I wrote earlier this year: "as long as audiophiles can download or stream original, non-MQA, hi-rez PCM files, why should MQA be an issue? However, what if they no longer have such access to the originals, but only to their MQA versions? . . . Regardless of MQA's technical elegance and promised increase in sound quality, the removal of consumer choice in recorded music is indeed a relevant issue."

See https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-mqa

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

10 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

"as long as audiophiles can download or stream original, non-MQA, hi-rez PCM files, why should MQA be an issue? However, what if they no longer have such access to the originals, but only to their MQA versions?"

See https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-mqa

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

So what's your point John, that you printed Hanson's concerns, or that

Chrislu's response was blunt: "Well, that's the goal!"? (to bury bit perfect distribution of the master recording) ?
While all along you, Austin and the others at Stereophile continue to write full article after article in glowing praise and support of MQA and selling music buyers down the river.
Who's best interests does Stereophile support,  the consumer or the recording industry?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.