IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, Indydan said:

Thanks! So Ralf11 was the one honored with Lavorgna's vulgarity. I had heard about what Lavorgna had written, but did not know who received the message. 

Yes, he took one for the team. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

5 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Yes, he took one for the team. :)

I doubt it bothered him.

As far as I am concerned Lavorgna can make a fool of himself anywhere he wants. He'd got a friend on Stereophile who does it too.

He wants the laws of physics changed to make MQA work better  (or at all)  and says so.

On 22/02/2018 at 6:17 PM, FredericV said:

Today I was reading this page:

http://thehbproject.com/en/articles/37/6/MQA---Quality-assured

There are some ridiculous claims:

In this CA reply, I basically proved Hans wrong:

MQA files can be tampered with, and the the indicator will still light up.

But what bothers me even more is the incorrect representation:

Meridian%20MQA%20principe.005.jpg

Here it is suggested there are 3 unfolds. In reality, there is no third unfold. MQA uses 24 bit files.

Bits 0..7 are used to store the first unfold. These are 8 bits which are below redbook, and when truncating 24 bit MQA files to 16 bits redbook, these bits will be lost. The MQA decoder will still fool it's users believing it can achieve 24/352.8K from these truncated 16 bit files.

Bit 8 stores the MQA control channel and should never be stripped. Bit 9..23 store the baseband part.
Bit 8..23 should never be tampered with, or the MQA light won't shine.

But you can tamper with the data that represents the first unfold, and the MQA decoder will still fool the user this could be 24/352.8

As MQA can only store 24 bits, it can't hide information below -144dB, as 24 bits is not enough to encode the part between -144 and -168. To do that, MQA would need a 32 bit PCM format. But MQA only works with 24 bit files.

Hans seems to have no clue what he is talking about. He tried to dismiss my research where I blanked 8 bits in an MQA file as gossip / fake, while I still managed to light up the blue MQA dot on my dac. I even managed to alter 1/3 of the file with garbage, and the MQA light still shined.

So it's all backwards. Hans is publishing (fake) copy paste news, which after research by people such as Mansr, Archimago and myself, is being debunked layer by layer, just like we research and debunk the claims of other MQA repeaters.

The owner of the Facebook group where we posted this is a Meridian dealer, and he even threatened to delete the post as he believed it is fake news.

So all our debunking must cause some serious cognitive dissonance in the pro-MQA camp. We basically debunk a lot of their belief systems. As someone suggested, maybe we should send flowers to MQA.

Nice work!

Regarding Beekhuyzen, I never took him seriously. He sounds like an ad company representative reading marketing brochures. 

3 minutes ago, Indydan said:

A person can't be more full of shit than that. Yet, he is one of the leading MQA salesman! When the people delivering the message hide behind fake names and lie, how can any sane person trust the product they sell? 

I think he's a volunteer salesman. Not sure if this makes it better or worse. Certainly sadder.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 2/21/2018 at 4:50 PM, Indydan said:

MQA "enthusiast"                        Reason for no longer posting on CA

Peter Veth                                                          BANNED

WitchDoctor                                                      BANNED

Lee Scoggins                             SCARED of his BS being called             

out

Michael Lavorgna                    BANNED for telling someone to go fuck his mother

Peter Veth (as Peter Markus)  BANNED for acting like a dick and being an MQA shill

Ah!  A CA twit list.  Shouldn't this be a sticky?

mQa is dead!

I visited the 'Sound and Vision' show in Bristol, UK yesterday.  This show is organised by Audio-T, who run a chain of UK hifi shops and sponsored by the UK's best-selling hifi rag 'What Hi-Fi'.  I think it is fair to say that this is the UK's most mainstream show, there is a wide range of kit there with a smattering of 'high end', but the majority of demonstrations are at the more affordable to mildly aspirational end of the scale.  One thing is for sure, of all the UK shows, this one is by far the best attended, I was there on a Friday and it was jam-packed with people, a little too busy to be fun to be honest.

So what of MQA?  Not that I was checking every stand and display for MQA logos, I did wander around the whole show and visited about 90% of the demo rooms, and not one MQA logo or demo did I see.  Curiously, this was not the case a couple of years ago, when Pioneer had a big room playing MQA demo's and in the 'What Hi-Fi' area they had a guy with a laptop and headphones who was running demonstrations where you could listen to a track of your choice to via MP3 then MQA.  

This year the only mention of MQA was in a demonstration of the new Cyrus signature streaming system, DAC and amps.  The guy from Cyrus was introducing each track played with a few words about the music and also stating that they were streaming hi-res via Qobuz.  During each introduction he mentioned that there are alternative ways to stream hi-res such as MQA but why bother with file compression methods when bandwidth is no longer a restriction and increasing all the time anyway.  He made this mini-speech three times when I was in the room, I guess he was doing this all day, and will be doing so all weekend too. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, FredericV said:

Real highres being replaced by fake highres with DRM, and no more access to the PCM.

And this very reason is why I continue to purchase as much music as possible in LP, CD or hi-rez downloads and/or needle drop or rip my own.  At least MQA and the labels can't take away what I own or change the way I hear my music today. .

The Truth Is Out There

8 hours ago, Confused said:

I visited the 'Sound and Vision' show in Bristol, UK yesterday.....So what of MQA?  Not that I was checking every stand and display for MQA logos, I did wander around the whole show and visited about 90% of the demo rooms, and not one MQA logo or demo did I see.  Curiously, this was not the case a couple of years ago, when Pioneer had a big room playing MQA demo's and in the 'What Hi-Fi' area they had a guy with a laptop and headphones who was running demonstrations where you could listen to a track of your choice to via MP3 then MQA....During each introduction he mentioned that there are alternative ways to stream hi-res such as MQA but why bother with file compression methods when bandwidth is no longer a restriction and increasing all the time anyway.  He made this mini-speech three times when I was in the room, I guess he was doing this all day, and will be doing so all weekend too. 

Tis very interesting.  This indicates something important in all of this - both consumers and manufacturers of gear are not finding the value in MQA.  It will only succeed in a top down manner  - a supply side fiat from the labels.

"MQA has been targeting the weakest players in our world, the audiophiles.  And they’re targeting those most dependent on pimping new tech, the audiophile press."  Brian Lucey 

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

23 minutes ago, crenca said:

Tis very interesting.  This indicates something important in all of this - both consumers and manufacturers of gear are not finding the value in MQA.  It will only succeed in a top down manner  - a supply side fiat from the labels.

"MQA has been targeting the weakest players in our world, the audiophiles.  And they’re targeting those most dependent on pimping new tech, the audiophile press."  Brian Lucey 

If there ever was a boat I suspect MQA has missed it.

As for the labels, some said they had 'converted'  (so disappears 'authentication') their entire catalogues  6-9 months ago.

But very little has been released and almost all of that via Tidal, which is a very small player.

I suggest  the labels, traditionally tight-fisted,   have not actually paid  MQA Ltd.  any fees and are just 'testing the waters'  before even thinking about doing so. MQA Ltd. is the 'dependent' party. not the labels.