IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

36 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Colorful word choices. Not as colorful as last week's anal rape metaphor (which I personally found offputting), but still another post that seems just a touch histrionic. coupled with a few of your more hyperbolic and vitriolic posts (examples can easily be supplied) , I wonder if you are undermining your credibility a little?

While it is an unfair characterization of CA as a whole, it doesn't take too many heavy-handed posts in a thread to leave some with the impression of a "snake pit". IMO.

Nothing wrong with a snake pit. Serves a very important purpose..it is where the MQA rodents get tossed so they can be be eviscerated. I especially like when the snakes lick their chops in satisfaction and spit out the bones they can't digest. :D

39 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Colorful word choices. Not as colorful as last week's anal rape metaphor (which I personally found offputting), but still another post that seems just a touch histrionic. coupled with a few of your more hyperbolic and vitriolic posts (examples can easily be supplied) , I wonder if you are undermining your credibility a little?

While it is an unfair characterization of CA as a whole, it doesn't take too many heavy-handed posts in a thread to leave some with the impression of a "snake pit". IMO.

3x03_Forget-Me-Now_(12).png

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Just now, kumakuma said:

3x03_Forget-Me-Now_(12).png

Hi,

Here in the UK we have a program called University Challenge.

Each team states their name and where they are from and their area of study.

There was a team of four women from a medical university.

One of the contestants said she was "studying for a doctorate in sphincter preservation".

There were a few titters from the audience, and i gather a surge in the search on Google.

Regards,

Shadders.

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

Heartbreaking.

It was the only example I could think of at the moment. Despite ones musical preferences, he is a major artist and it was a wake up call for me in that MQA might just replace RB. It will be a shame as Tidal integrates well into my set up with HQPlayer.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Do I really have to explain the joke?

Of course not. I probably just read too far into it. All of this MQA conspiracy stuff has me on edge! LOL I have to wonder if this isn't happening to other mainstream artists there. I listen to mostly less popular stuff.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

23 minutes ago, Norton said:

Alternatively, it's a place where snakes can wriggle around and chase their tails without bothering anyone else.  I think you also misunderstand serpentine digestion, they tend to swallow things whole...

Yes, snakes digest their prey whole. But I could not resist, for dramatic effect...throwing in the spitting out the bones scenario..:P.i

2 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

I understand, but those are your pain points and concerns with the format based on your personal preferences and personal investment in equipment, knowledge, content, etc. For me, MQA has been nothing but a "free" Tidal upgrade and a welcome improvement to my personal music playback enjoyment. I think the jury is still very much out with respect to how much, if any, of a "tax" will be imposed by MQA as well as who's going to end up paying that tax.

Part of the tax may get paid by mastering costs going down too.

1 hour ago, 4est said:

More choices? The other day upon his death I was trying to listen to Tom Petty and the Redbook files wouldn't play. I was stuck with MQA versions. I just tried again, and his first album is still that way on Tidal. I fear this is the beginning...

Well, the CD versions are working now (at least for me). I'm not sure it's quite time to panic yet. Most of the Petty/Heartbreakers albums are available in both versions. A few are CD only and a few are MQA only (including the first). I don't see any particular pattern there and I haven't personally noticed CD versions disappearing as soon as MQA versions are released but I must confess that I haven't paid attention either. 

Out of curiosity, have you done any blinded A/B testing of MQA vs CD playback run through a non-MQA dac? I couldn't detect anything sighted and the couple of tracks I tried blinded yielded nothing either. If you've successfully identified an audible difference, I'd love to hear more. What album? What was it that you were hearing that allowed you to differentiate? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

Well, the CD versions are working now (at least for me). I'm not sure it's quite time to panic yet. Most of the Petty/Heartbreakers albums are available in both versions. A few are CD only and a few are MQA only (including the first). I don't see any particular pattern there and I haven't personally noticed CD versions disappearing as soon as MQA versions are released but I must confess that I haven't paid attention either. 

Out of curiosity, have you done any blinded A/B testing of MQA vs CD playback run through a non-MQA dac? I couldn't detect anything sighted and the couple of tracks I tried blinded yielded nothing either. If you've successfully identified an audible difference, I'd love to hear more. What album? What was it that you were hearing that allowed you to differentiate? Thanks.

Not only that, much of the Petty catalog is available in hirez so so much for concerns about master tape quality getting out.