IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Vote with your dollars (as in, the absence of them from MQA).  It's a language that gets listened to.

Exactly! In our eagerness for what is new and surrounded by hype, we often forget this 'golden' rule...

5 hours ago, Jud said:

They could.  Currently, they seem to be taking a long time to succeed.

Vote with your dollars (as in, the absence of them from MQA).  It's a language that gets listened to.

The MQA folks are certainly making it easy to vote with your pocketbook. I can only stream TIDAL something Sprint is finding hard to give away.

2 minutes ago, fung0 said:

Instead, MQA chose to limit expert testing of its new technology, and surround the specs with patent barriers, non-disclosure agreements and bafllegab. Worse, it tailored its proposed new format to appeal not to consumers, but to the basest short-term instincts of large publishers and distributors. The 'authenticated' part, in particular, has been shown to have no connection whatsoever to the claimed benefits of 'audio origami.' It's an anti-feature which has no obvious purpose other than to encourage corporate buy-in and maximize licensing revenue.

From a consumer standpoint I am eagerly awaiting the many filters that will no doubt be offered to the marketplace as "MQA like".  I have no issue with furthering the pursuit of perfecting digital playback, but MQA seems to be intent on alienating what may be a good portion of their potential customer base with their practices.

clown car.jpg

Jim

On 17/07/2017 at 1:34 PM, Shadders said:

Hi,

Thanks - yes - just looked up the book i have - constant time delay, but varying phase delay. The group delay graphs for the various orders are constant. I need to examine more closely.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I have worked out my mistake, group delay is the differential of phase change across the frequency band. So constant group delay is linear phase change.

The time differences between a 100Hz and 20kHz signal for a 4th order bessel filter with cut off frequency of 22.05kHz is approximately 3.5uS - so not very much.

I have yet to simulate an 8th order elliptical filter - so i assume that this is what MQA is supposed to address - the temporal smearing of the signal due to the phase changes across the frequency band ?

Given the higher sample rates used today - i assume that temporal smearing is not an issue so we don't need MQA ?

Regards,

Shadders.

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I have worked out my mistake, group delay is the differential of phase change across the frequency band. So constant group delay is linear phase change.

The time differences between a 100Hz and 20kHz signal for a 4th order bessel filter with cut off frequency of 22.05kHz is approximately 3.5uS - so not very much.

I have yet to simulate an 8th order elliptical filter - so i assume that this is what MQA is supposed to address - the temporal smearing of the signal due to the phase changes across the frequency band ?

Given the higher sample rates used today - i assume that temporal smearing is not an issue so we don't need MQA ?

Regards,

Shadders.

An experiment:  Set up a free test installation of Audirvana Plus.  Set upsampling preferences as you like, but leave the “pre-ringing” setting at 1.0 (linear phase).  Listen to whatever you like.  Then adjust pre-ringing to 0.0 (minimum phase) and see if you hear a difference.  (You may wish to upsample to the maximum input your DAC will accept, so as much of the upsampling as possible is performed by iZotope 64-bit SRC bundled with Audirvana Plus.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

What are you using for simulation? I've simmed some elliptic filters (7th order) in LTspice, one or two examples are shown in this thread - http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8858-Digital-that-sounds-like-analog&p=154399&viewfull=1#post154399

16 minutes ago, Fokus said:

No.

MQA's nemesis is the ringing visible before and after the main lobe in the impulse response of a linear phase filter.

They solve this by starting from a linear phase high sample rate recording, preferably 4x or higher, and then reduce this to 2x with an extremely leaky downsampling (anti-aliasing) filter, a filter with a very narrow impulse, but, obviously, with a lot of aliasing. They claim they analyse the source signal and then pick a downsampling filter so that the amount of aliasing that effectively hits the audible band does not exceed the natural noise already present in the audible band (i.o.w. the noise is to mask the aliasing). The 2x signal is then folded into 1x with the origami trick, for distribution (streaming, download, MQA-CD).

Upon replay the 1x signal is first unfolded to 2x (inverse origami), and then upsampled to the original rate with the leaky filters documented by Mansr here on CA. These filters obviously cause a lot of imaging, as can be seen here for a '192kHz' example:

ZkMCGbE.jpg

====

As for the audibility of pre-ringing. You can follow Jud's advice. But even more telling would be this:

-reverse the file (i.e. front becomes back)

-convert with a minimum phase filter (see Jud's post)

-reverse the file again

Now you have a maximum phase file: all pre-ringing, no post-ringing. Have a listen.

Funny is it not.  The solution to ringing that is at an inaudible frequency is all this rigmarole which creates audible band aliasing which we can cover with noise masking, and feel completely okay about as being higher fidelity when played back with leaky imaging filters that might also intermodulate into the audible band. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Funny is it not.  The solution to ringing that is at an inaudible frequency is all this rigmarole which creates audible band aliasing which we can cover with noise masking, and feel completely okay about as being higher fidelity when played back with leaky imaging filters that might also intermodulate into the audible band. 

That is too stern.

The original MQA papers make clear that it is the intention, at all stages, to assess signal levels and ensure that aliasing and imaging remain within acceptable bounds.

It really is rather clever.

But it does not solve a real problem.

(But then, is a clever solution to an imagined problem really clever?)

8 hours ago, Jud said:

An experiment:  Set up a free test installation of Audirvana Plus.  Set upsampling preferences as you like, but leave the “pre-ringing” setting at 1.0 (linear phase).  Listen to whatever you like.  Then adjust pre-ringing to 0.0 (minimum phase) and see if you hear a difference.  (You may wish to upsample to the maximum input your DAC will accept, so as much of the upsampling as possible is performed by iZotope 64-bit SRC bundled with Audirvana Plus.)

Hi,

Thanks. Seems to be a Mac only program. Also, do not have a DAC, but do have a surround sound processor - so testing is limited.

Regards,

Shadders.

7 hours ago, opus101 said:

What are you using for simulation? I've simmed some elliptic filters (7th order) in LTspice, one or two examples are shown in this thread - http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8858-Digital-that-sounds-like-analog&p=154399&viewfull=1#post154399

Hi,

After not being involved in this area of design for over a decade - just starting to get back into the area. I want to become more familiar with the subject, in the analogue domain using op-amp filters, then later in the digital domain to gain experience in DSP techniques.

Simulation will allow me to remember the theory and build the templates for filters etc.

I am interested in what the problem is that MQA is stated to solve - seems to be temporal blur as per many "pseudo technical marketing" texts - so just want to understand rather than repeat others verbatim.

Regards,

Shadders.

2 hours ago, Fokus said:

No.

MQA's nemesis is the ringing visible before and after the main lobe in the impulse response of a linear phase filter.

They solve this by starting from a linear phase high sample rate recording, preferably 4x or higher, and then reduce this to 2x with an extremely leaky downsampling (anti-aliasing) filter, a filter with a very narrow impulse, but, obviously, with a lot of aliasing. They claim they analyse the source signal and then pick a downsampling filter so that the amount of aliasing that effectively hits the audible band does not exceed the natural noise already present in the audible band (i.o.w. the noise is to mask the aliasing). The 2x signal is then folded into 1x with the origami trick, for distribution (streaming, download, MQA-CD).

Upon replay the 1x signal is first unfolded to 2x (inverse origami), and then upsampled to the original rate with the leaky filters documented by Mansr here on CA. These filters obviously cause a lot of imaging, as can be seen here for a '192kHz' example:

ZkMCGbE.jpg

====

As for the audibility of pre-ringing. You can follow Jud's advice. But even more telling would be this:

-reverse the file (i.e. front becomes back)

-convert with a minimum phase filter (see Jud's post)

-reverse the file again

Now you have a maximum phase file: all pre-ringing, no post-ringing. Have a listen.

HI,

Thanks - still progressing through the basics - so will examine in more detail later. Thanks.

Regards,

Shadders.

57 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Thanks. Seems to be a Mac only program. Also, do not have a DAC, but do have a surround sound processor - so testing is limited.

Regards,

Shadders.

You can also use a free test version of iZotope Rx itself and do the upsampling offline, then use mansr’s SoX fork if you wish to sigma-delta modulate to DSD format; or just use the SoX fork for the whole shebang.

You sure you don’t have a DAC, like reasonable sound card and headphones?  The point is to have not only something you can see, but something you can hear (or can’t).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Has anyone looked at the filter used in the core decoder to join the 0-24 KHz band with the 24-48 KHz band? It'll be the complement of the filter used to split them when encoding. I'll bet they're quite sharp and will ring. (Although, if you split with a ringing filter and rejoin with the complement of that filter, I suspect it cancels the ringing.)

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

3 hours ago, esldude said:

At least if you manage to have a filter that leaks *and* rings, it can be quite audible.  With A+ I’ve managed to make myself oversampling filters that made music sound like someone had turned up the reverb way too high.  I haven’t gone back to do the experiment I recommended, otherwise using the default A+ settings, which should be non-leaky, and just play with phase (called pre-ringing in the A+ settings).  And I don’t have a free trial of iZotope Rx, though that route is open to others.  Or there’s the SoX fork.

Using A+ just makes it more convenient to adjust phase nearly “on the fly” with the very good iZotope resampling software, though it is (currently) Mac-only.

52 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Has anyone looked at the filter used in the core decoder to join the 0-24 KHz band with the 24-48 KHz band? It'll be the complement of the filter used to split them when encoding.

I asked for this before.

They need two quadrature mirror filter pairs for the split and the join.

The following (pretty dire)  filter response always surfaces when an MQA DAC is tested with non-MQA signals:

616Meex2fig4.jpg

616Meex2fig2.jpg

I would like to know if this filter is one in the two QMF pairs.

If it is, then the recording side downsampling filter has to pass on a lot of aliasing into the 1x band. This aliasing then invariably corrupts the signal when it is not replayed by an MQA decoder. This would make non-decoded MQA files markedly inferior to their CD-rate equivalents, contrary to MQA's claims.

27 minutes ago, Fokus said:

I asked for this before.

They need two quadrature mirror filter pairs for the split and the join.

The following (pretty dire)  filter response always surfaces when an MQA DAC is tested with non-MQA signals:

I recently asked Mytek if they always enforce the minimum phase upsampler MQA is using.
Mytek was against it, but MQA tried to force it anyway.

So I believe MQA is making sure redbook will sound worse than MQA because of those crappy filters being active.

But Mytek refused, and you can turn off the MQA decoder and turn off the crappy minimum phase upsampler.

It's crappy because it's limited in #taps and cannot be compared to minimum phase resampling such as in libsox (which auralic is using, just dump their firmware and run ldd on lightningserver and it will reveal libsox) or the soxr library, which is the resampling-ony part of libsox.