IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

6 hours ago, tapatrick said:

@ElviaCaprice I'm curious how you drive your Omegas with the 2Qute and how the volume works? I didn't think the 2Qute was a headphone amp.

Per Rob Watts, the 2Qute has one op amp that can achieve slightly better than 3V line level output, since there is no volume control on the 2Qute.  Which comes out to around 1 Watt.   Volume can be digitally controlled with a server media program, except for DOP.  Which I am happy to say sounds great at line level.  Also you could change the DSD on the fly to PCM, but I prefer not to do this.

Thats it, with the 98dB 8 ohm Omegas I get fantastic SQ with volume to spare.  As a nearfield listener this is perfect.  I DIYed a speaker/interconnect cable with RCA and banana plugs using Canare star quad 4S8.

Yes, the 2Qute does not have a headphone jack. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

16 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Per Rob Watts, the 2Qute has one op amp that can achieve slightly better than 3V line level output, since there is no volume control on the 2Qute.  Which comes out to around 1 Watt.   Volume can be digitally controlled with a server media program, except for DOP.  Which I am happy to say sounds great at line level.  Also you could change the DSD on the fly to PCM, but I prefer not to do this.

Thats it, with the 98dB 8 ohm Omegas I get fantastic SQ with volume to spare.  As a nearfield listener this is perfect.  I DIYed a speaker/interconnect cable with RCA and banana plugs using Canare star quad 4S8.

Yes, the 2Qute does not have a headphone jack. 

Nice! thanks EC. Good info for potential experiments with my Omegas. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

8 hours ago, Johnseye said:

So you both are abandoning the ethernet endpoint sms-200 or mR solution to go straight from your PCs via USB to a reclocker like the IR or tX?  Just to be clear, you're finding that once a high quality power source is feeding your devices, filtration through copper or fiber ethernet has no meaningful impact?

Just to clarify, I have always been a USB only guy and I can't imagine how ethernet may sound better. 

I have had similar experience. Tried the IR alone, with mR in front or with an amberR in front and prefer the IR alone. Have only one USPCB and found biggest improvement when used in front of the IR instead of after. I will try an additional USPCB to add after and see if it makes any improvements.

11 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Yeah, I was surprised at the difference, changing out for the USPCB.  Like night and day.  Not to take away from the importance of the USPCB between the DAC and ISO Regen.  I didn't test it's differences.  Put it this way, I think the USPCB is just as important as the ISO Regen and I would replace all USB connectors with it.  If not possible, I would get rid of those components.  I think it's that good, thus important.

I don't think there is any compromise having a low power server close to other audio components.

In my case my 12V low powerd Jetway NUC is ideal, turned it on it's side, I'm also powering a 5V 2.5" drive with a LPS-1 connected by SATA II, short PPA sata chord.  Just waiting on a Paul Hynes SR7 to replace the current 12V led battery feeding the mobo.  But damn it sure sounds good. 

I have used hard adapters to connect to DAC/SU-1/Intona/Regens/IsoRegen, etc. I always found the hard adapters to sound better than any USB cable. I think we should also try to use hard adapters and see if USPCB provide any improvements over the cheap hard adapter. It is one of the item on my to-do list, but before we conclude USPCB is the best solution, we should try the hard adapters as well. The switch in the USPCB might not be the best thing to have, if your DAC used 5v from the USB, let's not ignore that,

I have never been able to use a hard adapter to connect to USB out from my PC due to physical constraints.

38 minutes ago, sig8 said:

I have used hard adapters to connect to DAC/SU-1/Intona/Regens/IsoRegen, etc. I always found the hard adapters to sound better than any USB cable. I think we should also try to use hard adapters and see if USPCB provide any improvements over the cheap hard adapter. It is one of the item on my to-do list, but before we conclude USPCB is the best solution, we should try the hard adapters as well. The switch in the USPCB might not be the best thing to have, if your DAC used 5v from the USB, let's not ignore that,

I have never been able to use a hard adapter to connect to USB out from my PC due to physical constraints.

I have both chords and cheap USB adapters.  The USPCB is superior (an understatement) to both in my testing.  The 5V switch is a non concern, if anything it's a bonus.  If your DAC doesn't need the 5V VBUS just turn it off from the ISO Regen, otherwise keep it on.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

21 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I have both chords and cheap USB adapters.  The USPCB is superior (an understatement) to both in my testing.  The 5V switch is a non concern, if anything it's a bonus.  If your DAC doesn't need the 5V VBUS just turn it off from the ISO Regen, otherwise keep it on.

Has someone tested the USPCBs with Icron?

USPCB > Icron 2304GE-LAN > USPCB

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Now I know what IR #2 could be useful for, just wait until it's dropped to $99 again

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Lexar-512GB-Portable-SSD-LRWSSD512TBNA/product/B012PSHRY6

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=42196&PageId=1

wwXlNE0.jpg

Not exactly easy to find something that's small enough to sit right behind the computer with full-size USB Type B input and 512GB to boot. Pretty much all USB adapters for mSATA / M.2 NGFF etc. should be built for portability, therefore most of them should have either micro USB or USB Type C these days.

Maybe that's even bootable and it's gonna be fun to try Windows To Go.

23 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I have to say, my current digital frontend is the best I've ever heard.  The detail and stage presence is fantastic.  Not a hint of glimmer from the mobo or any stray AC corruption.

I place the improvement on a few factors.  One, get off the direct AC grid, all components server to speakers.  I can't stress enough that I think it's mostly about power, low power, low impedance, especially the mobo.  I don't think the clocks are as important as we think, other than they need clean stream and power to work at their optimum or better (do no harm). 

Another factor is the ISO Regen, just a fantastic component which I will say is all you need between the server and DAC.  So far an additional ISO Regen and/or SOTM USB BEXP audio card added nothing, but to be fair, I only have 4 LPS-1's and not enough PS's to give them a proper testing.

Thirdly, and most important, the adapter/chord between the USB components.  Adding the USPCB from Uptone between the server and ISO Regen was huge (my last update, replacing a Supra USB chord), along with between the ISO Regen and DAC.

If I stopped today and remained with my system as is in the signature below I would be happy.

Thanks for your continuing updates on the IR.  

If I've understood correctly you are now using two USPCB's; one between your ISO Rendu and DAC and the other between your server and ISO Rendu.

What I don't quite get is how the DAC/IR/Server combo is now physically set up using the two USPBC's.  Are the Server and DAC now sitting back to back with the ISO Rendu and USBPC's in-between them?  

Any chance of a photo of your setup?

Thanks

I received my second USPCB tonight.  So I am now listening with no USB cable in the USB path.  In other words:  microRendu > USPCB > ISO REGEN > USPCB > Hugo TT.

It's hot tonight - 81 degrees in the listening room - so two fans are blowing.  I will offer initial impressions nonetheless:  knowing what I know now, there's no chance I'll ever want to throw the Audience Au24 USB cable back in.  I've been floored - particularly in light of the cost of the USPCB ($35).  Ridiculous.  

I'll share additional findings later tonight after it cools down.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

44 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I received my second USPCB tonight.  So I am now listening with no USB cable in the USB path.  In other words:  microRendu > USPCB > ISO REGEN > USPCB > Hugo TT.

It's hot tonight - 81 degrees in the listening room - so two fans are blowing.  I will offer initial impressions nonetheless:  knowing what I know now, there's no chance I'll ever want to throw the Audience Au24 USB cable back in.  I've been floored - particularly in light of the cost of the USPCB ($35).  Ridiculous.  

Great to know, I need to find a way to fit USPCBs in the full chain. 

I hope you don't have a tube amp :) 

This is the closest thing I could find online, of course we're talking about only a single USPCB between two components instead of "combining" two USB couplers/adapters together

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/holo-audio-spring-level-3-kitsune-tuned-edition-r2r-dac-review/?page=5#comment-613247

hyIP44Y.jpg

Maybe the longevity of USB jacks could be challenged with USPCB? Better provide proper support under IR or else we might regret it later

q5mB1CC.jpgK9yr4FG.jpgIv9ZLJe.jpgYiJYAkr.jpgsSmjlM8.jpgfdc3hl8.jpg

56 minutes ago, mozes said:

Great to know, I need to find a way to fit USPCBs in the full chain. 

I think you should get another USPCB, straight or 90degree, and test it against the TX USB Ultra, with the ISO Regen.  I'm willing to bet the added USPCB added between the server and ISO Regen then USPCB to the DAC beats your current system configuration.  Wouldn't that be crazy?  Would be nice, save you $900 on resale of the TX, let alone the power supply.

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

That's a great endorsement for the USPCB and makes me want to get one right away. The Audience AU24 USB is an excellent cable which I also use out of trying at least 5 or 6 high priced ones. I am trying to figure if I need a straight or right angled one. Please share more info when you have some time (and off coarse after it cools down :-)).

2 hours ago, tims said:

Thanks for your continuing updates on the IR.  

If I've understood correctly you are now using two USPCB's; one between your ISO Rendu and DAC and the other between your server and ISO Rendu.

What I don't quite get is how the DAC/IR/Server combo is now physically set up using the two USPBC's.  Are the Server and DAC now sitting back to back with the ISO Rendu and USBPC's in-between them?  

Any chance of a photo of your setup?

Thanks

Here's a few shots of my system.  It's a bit messy away from my primary home, temporary.

2017-07-02 19.54.15.jpg

2017-07-05 22.08.41.jpg

2017-07-05 22.15.13.jpg

2017-07-02 19.55.59.jpg

2017-07-02 19.56.10.jpg

http://www.forum-hifi.fr/thread-4505.html

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1964

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/usb-audio-output-pi-hat/25479

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/allo-usbridge-board/27487

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/interfaces/allo-usbridge-usb-interface-sparky-emmc-16gb-acrylic-case-p-12073.html

Sparky Basic Linux Images

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images

LPS-1 should be fine with 5 W of power when it's gonna consume 5V @ 1A or less, this one looks like a winner for $189

https://www.allo.com/marketing/brochures/allo-sparky-brochure.pdf#page=3

Power: The board uses up to 5 W of power and can be powered from the USB connector, or a separate 3.7 V battery power supply

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

Sparky has 2 independent USB controllers (2 highways), and we connect to the second one. Then we use a new USB IC that recloaks the stream using hi quality NDK Oscillators, and everything is powered by independent LDOs and hi frequency filters. The final noise of the USBridge is lower than the noise of a battery

13 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

LPS-1 should be fine with 5 W of power when it's gonna consume 5V @ 1A or less, this one looks like a winner for $189

I have done this configuration, and no doubt the $189 is a winner price. But I suspect (haven't done this yet) that to get it closer to anywhere near another 'winner', microRendu (with 1.4 board swap), then the USBridge should be powered by LPS-1 and Sparky separately powered with another (or iPower/battery).

8 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I think you should get another USPCB, straight or 90degree, and test it against the TX USB Ultra, with the ISO Regen.  I'm willing to bet the added USPCB added between the server and ISO Regen then USPCB to the DAC beats your current system configuration.  Wouldn't that be crazy?  Would be nice, save you $900 on resale of the TX, let alone the power supply.

Yes it will be really crazy. I will do it!

1 minute ago, mozes said:

These are the kinds of systems I like, crazy unconventional but with a purpose!

Looking good to me @ElviaCaprice :) 

Thanks, it will look much better when I get it back to my main home and make permanent DC cables to fit.  Now that I have determined the best configuration.  I will do some more testing after the Paul Hynes SR7 arrives freeing up some LPS-1's.  For now, the mobo usb port is sounding just as good as the mini pcie w/adapter pcie 1X used for a USB audio card, like the SOTM Txusbexp card pictured above.