IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Anyone else here tried overclocked RPI3B+ with AL using LPS 1.2 as Roon endpoint? I'm not finding NUC7PJYH to be a winner vs RPI3.

NUC7PJYH is better in high frequencies  but not as life like in midrange/bass/dynamics as the RPI3 is.

I have been able to run NUC7PJYH off LPS 1.2 after tweaking peripheral hardware support, fan kick in speed, etc.

Still looking for a next step that gets the highs right but doesn't lose what RPI3 provides.

Very much enjoying the life that has been breathed back into a lot of 60's and early 70's recordings

Have you tried Tinkerboard S as well vs. RPI?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hi,

did anyone tried daphile in a client/server setup and compare it to audiolinux? for the last nearly 4 years i am using daphile an the futro 900 thinclient with realy good results. i use it in an Server/Client Setup. its only a 5 Minute thing to prepare 2 usb sticks or sd-cards to make it run. anyone here who tried that too? you can buy it for 20-30 euro on eBay - and even when labled Fujitsu its still made in Germany! Ist perfect for the daphile 64-bit rt kernel. 4GB ram is highly recommended. Throw the 20v smps and use a good and clean min. 2A rated LPS for optimal results.

regards

sunny

13 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

I reduced the power settings and increased the temperature the fan kicks in and finally the WOW! moment most have been talking about arrived.

Can you please explain this. I don't understand "reduce power settings" and "increased temperature" part. I know Rajiv does not want this tweaking discussed here, but it came up here and I am curious. Sorry.

13 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Can you please explain this. I don't understand "reduce power settings" and "increased temperature" part. I know Rajiv does not want this tweaking discussed here, but it came up here and I am curious. Sorry.

I thought that this was the right forum for tweaking, just not initial setup. I have to admit though that I find the line a bit confusing. Like many things in life you may not know that you have crossed it until it is too late ?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

11 minutes ago, sig8 said:

I believe ltg2010 means that he set the NUC i7 in it's low power mode and placed the fan control not to start the fan until the temperature was much higher then the prior setting. This combination will make it less likely that the fan will start running during playback.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

18 minutes ago, sig8 said:

3 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I believe ltg2010 means that he set the NUC i7 in it's low power mode and placed the fan control not to start the fan until the temperature was much higher then the prior setting. This combination will make it less likely that the fan will start running during playback.

Yes as Larry states, look for the power management settings , where the intel speedstep is located there are a couple of settings which you can lower especially the turbo boost, if not booting. Over where the fan controls are you can move the sliders for the fan to kick in at 60 degrees rather than 35.

Ideally you would want intel speedstep off as throttling the CPU can introduce negative impact to sound quality and remove the fan ( put the NUC in an AKASA case) as the last thing you want is your PS running a fan at the same time as playback.

Ok, got it guys. Another thought for DIYer's; instead of increasing the temp setting for the fan that high, it might be possible to power the internal fan from its own independent power supply, that way you are not running the CPU that hot and the fan is powered from a separate PS avoiding electrical noise from it being introduced on the board. I haven't tried it, but this strategy is on my mind to explore once I have my NUC. It would just take to fish a small gage wire in the box and connect a male/female connector.

Not only noise(electrical) is problem. Another issue is vibration. And fan would create additional EMF anyway.

I would buy better case, than add fans.

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It’s hard to define a line. Im just trying to keep the thread focused on SQ. 

If it relates to SQ it belongs here. If it’s just setup or troubleshooting, then the other thread.

I know there’s overlap. Just use your judgement!

Thanks for the clarification. It is helpful.

This is probably one of the best threads ib CA for quite a while. True progress.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, Cooler said:

Not only noise(electrical) is problem. Another issue is vibration. And fan would create additional EMF anyway.

Good point. So far the way I do is where I have a passive HDPlex case for my i7-6700, and I blow air with an external fan on the case to enhance cooling, because passive cases are....passive, but it is not always possible in everyone's setup I know. My rig is below my speakers in the basement, only two speaker wires come up through the floor so I can have noisy fans and have lot of space to play around.

Just now, Dutch said:

Audiolinux 0.6 is released today!

Do you have to start customization from scratch, or is there a way to upgrade AL headless 0.5 to 0.6?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 minute ago, tims said:

Been looking for an actual list of hardware suited for Audiolinux  but can't find one.  If you have, please supply a link if you have it.

Thanks

Its a platform question, not specific hardware. AL lists on their site images for PC, BBB, Raspberry Pi3.  I suspect anything else won't boot/have proper driver support.

www.audio-linux.com

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

12 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Yes it's a custom multi rail build based on DC3. 

I also own a custom  2x12v (up to 5A on each rail )custom DC3 Sean Jacobs psu .

Have you had any chance to compare it to a Paul Hynes ?

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

5 hours ago, Cooler said:

There are a lot more problems. The easiest way is to use a pc hardware that doesn't need a fan like the fujitsu futro ones. Its a computer with a  high audio performance.

Best regards

Sunny

17 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I also own a custom  2x12v (up to 5A on each rail )custom DC3 Sean Jacobs psu .

Have you had any chance to compare it to a Paul Hynes ?

No, the only other good supplies I have are an LPS1 and sPS 500.

Looks like your well set up for dual NUC /AL  my 12V rails are 1.5amp I'll need to go back to Sean to see if they can be bumped up.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Today I received a new NUC7PJYH after I (like @afrancois) bricked the first when changing the graphics settings mentioned in my quote above.

I can now confirm it was indeed those settings that killed the NUC as I’ve made all the exact same changes in the BiOS as before except those. I saved and rebooted each time after making changes per category (Main, Devices and Peripherals, Cooling, Security etc.). I also made pictures of each settings screen and subscreens when done. After I made all the changes it still worked. pheww :)

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Today I received a new NUC7PJYH after I (like @afrancois) bricked the first when changing the graphics settings mentioned in my quote above.

I can now confirm it was indeed those settings that killed the NUC as I’ve made all the exact same changes in the BiOS as before except those. I saved and rebooted each time after making changes per category (Main, Devices and Peripherals, Cooling, Security etc.). I also made pictures of each settings screen and subscreens when done. After I made all the changes it still worked. pheww :)

So you have a replacement unit. I’ve sent mine back and since then, radio silence. They don’t even bother to reply to my emails. Did you get the unit directly from Intel or from where you bought it?