IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

My NUC Impressions - Part 2

Shortly after I posted my initial NUC impressions yesterday, FedEx and DHL dropped off the last of the parts for my own NUC. Let me back up. The day after I received Roy's loaner NUC, which happened to be Cyber Monday, and having heard it in my system, I decided to go ahead and order my own. Since the NUC7CJYH was sold out everywhere, and since Roy (and then Larry) has mentioned how they found the NUC7i7DNBE to sound even better, I went ahead and ordered the NUC7i7DNBE with the classy looking Akasa Plato X7D case. I'm glad I did, as it seems to be backordered now.

First - I must tell you the Plato X7D case is stunning in its look and feel. I have to admit I had some trepidation about how the build would go. I'm not a system builder, and although I was comfortable about the general process, having seen the video @Middy posted a few days ago on this thread, I was paranoid I'd get the thermal paste application wrong. Larry and Roy were helpful in their advice, and in the end, the build was fairly easy, even for a first timer. Even after a whole day of running AL Extreme, CPU temp is stable around 40ºC, so I guess the paste went on properly! Plus, I think this case is outstanding for heat dissipation. I suppose it helps that I have absolutely no additional devices other than what's on the original mobo. I tuned the BIOS as described in the tuning thread.

So how does it sound? Wow, this i7 NUC is quite a nice step up in SQ! Roy and Larry were spot on, as usual. Even cold - I'm sure even NUCs need some breaking in - it sounds stunning.

Holding everything else constant, and powering both NUCs (CJYH and i7DNBE) with a 12V SR7 DR rail, I was not expecting as big a difference as I heard. These are just initial impressions, but here's what I'm hearing on the i7 compared to the Celeron:

• A hint more dynamic, but dynamics are not the biggest difference
  • Richer, creamier sound
  • More coherent, better texture and timbre
  • fuller and denser
  • a bit more authority on the low end
  • double bass lines better articulated
  • a larger image.

In short, even more of the good stuff. I am so pleased with this purchase! My Zenith SE is on its way to its proud new owner, and now this handsome Plato X7D-encased NUC is a worthy replacement and improvement, at a fraction of the cost.

At this point, I just can't stop listening to the music, and so will take a break from all the tweaking and tuning. Eventually, I will dabble with a different/better server than my generic Dell desktop, and of course, I look forward to the "clash of the switches!" 

But until then, this truly is approaching endgame for the digital transport chain. And I don't say that lightly.

The 12v rail is powering it with no issue?  I know you listen to a lot of DSD so assuming no issues there.  I'm going to have to give this a shot.

I finally got a 2.5mm lead for my sPS-500 from Ghent.  Those sPS connectors are a pain to find and shipping from China takes weeks.  At 19v my mITX board will power up but it ends up failing during ramroot.  Not enough amps it seems.  I tried at 12v as well and no dice.  If I move my 19v SR7 rail back to the mITX board I can use the SR7's 12v DR rail for the NUC.  I just need to find another 2.5mm lead for the SR7 with the Jager connector.

4 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

The 12v rail is powering it with no issue?  I know you listen to a lot of DSD so assuming no issues there.  I'm going to have to give this a shot.

I finally got a 2.5mm lead for my sPS-500 from Ghent.  Those sPS connectors are a pain to find and shipping from China takes weeks.  At 19v my mITX board will power up but it ends up failing during ramroot.  Not enough amps it seems.  I tried at 12v as well and no dice.  If I move my 19v SR7 rail back to the mITX board I can use the SR7's 12v DR rail for the NUC.  I just need to find another 2.5mm lead for the SR7 with the Jager connector.

No issues at all. Roy has said 19V sounds even better, so that would be the only rationale to try it.

Yeah I listen to DSD too, but it's not transcoded in any way, just transported as DoP, which is minimal processing.

11 hours ago, greenleo said:

Suppose the best SQ is 10, what is the score for the 7CJYH?  It would be great if the SQ of the NUCs using the stock PSU are described as well.  SR7 is an unobtainaium and the queue takes at least a year Hence the SQ of the NUCs being powered by a lesser PSU would be very useful.

Great point! That's why I decided to go with the 7CJYH because I intend to power it with a LPS-1.2.

If I went with the i7 based powerful NUCs then I would be forced to use a lesser quality PSU.  

17 hours ago, austinpop said:

My NUC Impressions - Part 2

Shortly after I posted my initial NUC impressions yesterday, FedEx and DHL dropped off the last of the parts for my own NUC. Let me back up. The day after I received Roy's loaner NUC, which happened to be Cyber Monday, and having heard it in my system, I decided to go ahead and order my own. Since the NUC7CJYH was sold out everywhere, and since Roy (and then Larry) has mentioned how they found the NUC7i7DNBE to sound even better, I went ahead and ordered the NUC7i7DNBE with the classy looking Akasa Plato X7D case. I'm glad I did, as it seems to be backordered now.

First - I must tell you the Plato X7D case is stunning in its look and feel. I have to admit I had some trepidation about how the build would go. I'm not a system builder, and although I was comfortable about the general process, having seen the video @Middy posted a few days ago on this thread, I was paranoid I'd get the thermal paste application wrong. Larry and Roy were helpful in their advice, and in the end, the build was fairly easy, even for a first timer. Even after a whole day of running AL Extreme, CPU temp is stable around 40ºC, so I guess the paste went on properly! Plus, I think this case is outstanding for heat dissipation. I suppose it helps that I have absolutely no additional devices other than what's on the original mobo. I tuned the BIOS as described in the tuning thread.

So how does it sound? Wow, this i7 NUC is quite a nice step up in SQ! Roy and Larry were spot on, as usual. Even cold - I'm sure even NUCs need some breaking in - it sounds stunning.

Holding everything else constant, and powering both NUCs (CJYH and i7DNBE) with a 12V SR7 DR rail, I was not expecting as big a difference as I heard. These are just initial impressions, but here's what I'm hearing on the i7 compared to the Celeron:

• A hint more dynamic, but dynamics are not the biggest difference
  • Richer, creamier sound
  • More coherent, better texture and timbre
  • fuller and denser
  • a bit more authority on the low end
  • double bass lines better articulated
  • a larger image.

In short, even more of the good stuff. I am so pleased with this purchase! My Zenith SE is on its way to its proud new owner, and now this handsome Plato X7D-encased NUC is a worthy replacement and improvement, at a fraction of the cost.

At this point, I just can't stop listening to the music, and so will take a break from all the tweaking and tuning. Eventually, I will dabble with a different/better server than my generic Dell desktop, and of course, I look forward to the "clash of the switches!" 

But until then, this truly is approaching endgame for the digital transport chain. And I don't say that lightly.

I did see that you have order 8GB ram for your intel nuc as endpoint .

Does the possibility to have a larger buffer in squeezelite when compared to a 4GB ram  has a noticable increase of SQ or does 4GB will be sufficient for endpoint .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

1 hour ago, mozes said:

I actually went with NUC7PJYH because it was available.

Am powering mine with a Sean Jacobs 12V 1.5amp rail sound is sublime, all the usual audiophile phrases and more.

Was struggling to get the tonality of my server back, thinking 1.5 amps would not be enough as I have a single 8gb RAM, had initially powered it with my sPS500, the sound was good but missing warmth and bass punch.

I reduced the power settings and increased the temperature the fan kicks in and finally the WOW! moment most have been talking about arrived.

2 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

I did see that you have order 8GB ram for your intel nuc as endpoint .

Does the possibility to have a larger buffer in squeezelite when compared to a 4GB ram  has a noticable increase of SQ or does 4GB will be sufficient for endpoint .

If you want to play with squeezelite buffers, then 8GB will give you more flexibility. 4GB will not leave you much space in RAM.

When I did the buffer size experiment (check back in this thread) the larger sizes did make a difference. On the other hand, if you need to stick to 4GB enable powering with an LPS-1.2, it's a different equation. You just have to pick the best compromise.

I will say that on Roy's 4GB NUC, I was able to trim down the size of the root partition (see my Tips and Tricks post on the other thread) on my USB stick to where I could try a 1GB buffer (-b 524288:524288), and it is still an improvement over the default.

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

Didn't, I have both, actually all three models, i7 quad too, here.

Great, better and best!

Since you have all three , a tricky question :)

It is fun to experiment in this hobby but at the end it is costly .

I am hesitating between the pentium and the i7. Cost wise the gap is very significant. But sq wise how you will qualify the gap between Celeron, pentium an then i7 ?

I told you it was a tricky question :)

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

Just now, jean-michel6 said:

Since you have all three , a tricky question :)

It is fun to experiment in this hobby but at the end it is costly .

I am hesitating between the pentium and the i7. Cost wise the gap is very significant. But sq wise how you will qualify the gap between Celeron, pentium an then i7 ?

I told you it was a tricky question :)

I've said too much already. 

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Am powering mine with a Sean Jacobs 12V 1.5amp rail sound is sublime, all the usual audiophile phrases and more.

Was struggling to get the tonality of my server back, thinking 1.5 amps would not be enough as I have a single 8gb RAM, had initially powered it with my sPS500, the sound was good but missing warmth and bass punch.

I reduced the power settings and increased the temperature the fan kicks in and finally the WOW! moment most have been talking about arrived.

Thanks for the info, very useful. I will see when I set it up what PSU works the best.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:50 AM, austinpop said:

I commend your zeal, but honestly, you are tilting at the wrong windmill here.

The Linear Solution are a small company and hardly the Big Bad Corporation, and their products are quite fairly priced for what they deliver. As others have already pointed out, many people are not up for DIY solutions, and are willing to pay for a polished product with full support. And if you look at the DS-1, Adrian tells me they have managed to get OCXO clocking on all the clocks - system, USB, and Ethernet.

Of course, claims are one thing, and the proof of the pudding will be in the hearing. I spent nearly $800 for my i7 NUC, and I had to assemble it myself, futz with AL, the BIOS and all that. I am fine doing it. But if a $1599 product comes along that delivers it turnkey AND potentially delivers more SQ - TBD, I hasten to add - then I am perfectly cool with that.

@austinpop

If this was marginly 'better' than the NUC/AL, would I pay $1599 ? No! I always prefer the biggest bang for the buck and at the moment it looks like that would be a NUC. Expensive "diminishing returns" items like the DS-1 don't really float my boat. Paying more and more and more for devices that give less and less and less 'improvement'   ....well, I can't justify that expenditure. Once the massive leap has been had for a more than reasonable price, my interest starts to wane. Not really interested in the bleeding edge because for one reason alone, next year it will be old news and DOWN in price as the next small step arrives. Case in point: already we see the DS-1 "at a price!" superseding the cheapo NUC/AL even though the NUC/AL has still to reach the pinnacle of sales. I am only a small tweaker at heart and tire easily of the process and I think conclusions could be drawn already from the extensive discussion here? I don't need POLISHED products with all the so called back up, warranty, fancy looks etc; just as long as it is fairly turnkey friendly I am happy. I quite like military/functional looks, robust, aggressive, plain and ugly gear. Stuff that looks like it belongs on tour, in a rack, on stage, in a studio, ratrod. My friend john wood builds great valve amps (IMHO) and he always says: "I'm only interested on what's on the inside, how it works, how it performs, who gives a stuff what it looks like, you can have any colour you want as long as it's black". Suits me fine! That is of course just my preference, as you say "some simply want the turnkey, one button press, polished end products, without the tinkering". I have nothing against anyone who likes these finished products in terms of digital age technology. All my different speakers and amps are finished products but again I'm not bothered about a finished appearance, they can be scratched, chipped, dented - who cares? - just makes them more affordable (£). Cheers! I think I will mark it as off topic, just in case it is getting away from the main topic of discussion.

6 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

Do you mean this Sean Jacobs or someone else?

sean jacobs (click link).

Cheers!

14 hours ago, Forehaven said:

It just takes a bit of tweaking to get the side case off.  Not hard at all.

just slightly pull out the sides with the ports so that they can slip free, up and out.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Anyone else here tried overclocked RPI3B+ with AL using LPS 1.2 as Roon endpoint? I'm not finding NUC7PJYH to be a winner vs RPI3.

NUC7PJYH is better in high frequencies  but not as life like in midrange/bass/dynamics as the RPI3 is.

I have been able to run NUC7PJYH off LPS 1.2 after tweaking peripheral hardware support, fan kick in speed, etc.

Still looking for a next step that gets the highs right but doesn't lose what RPI3 provides.

Very much enjoying the life that has been breathed back into a lot of 60's and early 70's recordings

Regards,

Dave

Audio system