IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

46 minutes ago, tims said:

Mind if I ask where you're getting them from?

Thanks

I live in the Netherlands so it is a Dutch firm, I can give you name?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

17 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

On the  NUC7PJYH  is it possible to deactivate the wifi and bluetooth either through the bios or physically ?

Not sure on the PJYH, but on the CJYH it seems like the Bios is a bit buggy (and I am running the latest, I guess its 0051). Even after you disable the wifi integrated controller (WLAN checkbox), the pci device is still active. On AL, you can issue "ip addr show" or "ifconfig" to see if they show up after disabling it in the Bios.

You can't physically pull out the wifi controller or bluetooth as its integrated into the board.

4 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Is there a sq advantage to removing the wifi card over disabling it in the bios? I have disabled wlan and Bluetooth is it worthwhile removing it altogether? 

Less devices means less noise, so there is definitely a slight advantage to it.

Which NUC you have and can you paste the output of "ip addr show" from AL ?

2 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Is there a sq advantage to removing the wifi card over disabling it in the bios? I have disabled wlan and Bluetooth is it worthwhile removing it altogether? 

Neither  the Pentium or Celeron have removable cards because the logic is on the SOC. The best you can do is to disable in bios.

The i7 quad core NUC has a card in a m.2 slot and is removable. I don't know about the others.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

16 hours ago, austinpop said:

Peter, I think you've got that backward. Our nomenclature is:

• Endpoint that you call the Audio Playing PC
    • Runs the music player like Roon Bridge or squeezelite that:
      • connects to the DAC or DDC via USB
      • connects to the music server via Ethernet
  • Server, is that a Control PC in your world?
    • runs the music server (like Roon or LMS) that does
      • library management
      • serves music files from local storage or network storage
      • connects to endpoint over network.

For the server  -- 'connects to endpoint over network.' -- is this a bridged ?

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

9 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Neither  the Pentium or Celeron have removable cards because the logic is on the SOC. The best you can do is to disable in bios.

The i7 quad core NUC has a card in a m.2 slot and is removable. I don't know about the others.

Ah ok! I guess that shows that I didn't look very closely at anything when I opened it up to put the ram in ?. I am still patiently waiting for my akasa case to arrive (seemingly via snail) from Italy. 

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

Less devices means less noise, so there is definitely a slight advantage to it.

Which NUC you have and can you paste the output of "ip addr show" from AL ?

I have the NUC7CJYH. I haven't updated the bios from whatever version it shipped with. I'll have to have a look at it tonight after work to see if the wifi/Bluetooth truly is disabled

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

*LOL* It’s complicated! It might be a good idea for @austinpop to update the facts on the index with universial names when these terms are crystal clear.

In my world you have these:

1. Control point= The control device that is controling the music and telling the server what to play.

2. Server= The manager that is receiving the info from the control point and distribute the music to the render. This can either contain or be connected to a harddrive of any kind (local files) or a router (Tidal/Qubuz/NAS etc) both through wires or wifi.

3. Render= The endpoint where the upnp/dnla data is translated into music and forward to DAC in digital format.

There is upnp/dnla and Openhome streaming. With Openhome (wich us upnp/dnla compliant) the playlist is stored at the control point. With upnp/dnla the playlist is stored at the server. IMO Openhome sounds better! ?

Thank you Guys. I am afraid I can't follow you ?

I guess someone will propose soon a device already set for dummies...

uR MkII? ?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

8 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

.....is it really happening?   ...companies starting to steal the NUC thunder?   ...and what is the price? It doesn't say?    ...e.g. 10 times the cost of a NUC perhaps?

I may be mistaken, but as I understand it, a prototype of this product was revealed prior to the NUC craze taking hold of this thread.  People here picked up the ball and ran with it.

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I may be mistaken, but as I understand it, a prototype of this product was revealed prior to the NUC craze taking hold of this thread.  People here picked up the ball and ran with it.

oh! ~ prior to the NUC craze? Does it have a retail price? Has it gone to market yet?

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

oh! ~ prior to the NUC craze? Does it have a retail price? Has it gone to market yet?

Cheers!

Adrian told me he has shipped a few in the past week or two.  There may also be special introductory price for early adopters, but you'd have to confirm with him directly.  Here is the price list:  http://thelinearsolution.com/assets/files/2018%20TLS%20Price%20List-12-1.pdf

TLS certainly has the best product names.  DreamOS and THE ONE server.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's