IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Just now, Cornan said:

You´ve got to know that I use the MS-HPULN>LPS-1.2 feeding the output of the BluWave board as well. ISO Regen is just supplying USB power to the BluWave board required by Brooklyn DAC (which needs the USB power even when used at the Spdif input).

ohh,ok, clear!!!!

Just now, hurka said:

ok,i can  tell you, powerstore cap(powerful but worse) and nesscap (small but better)combined together become very good sound

?

I am still trying to work out how to build a supercap supply charged by a battery pack. It is a bit over my head due to the use of Farads and the energy capacity is frankly a bit scary looking at videos like this! ? 

Do you know of any ready made ones out there that would work as a feeder supply to the LPS-1.2 or an idea how to build something like this (detail about specific parts appreciated)?

🎛️  Audio System  

5 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I am still trying to work out how to build a supercap supply charged by a battery pack. It is a bit over my head due to the use of Farads and the energy capacity is frankly a bit scary looking at videos like this! ? 

Do you know of any ready made ones out there that would work as a feeder supply to the LPS-1.2 or an idea how to build something like this (detail about specific parts appreciated)?

sorry, in china no youtube and redtube.my vpn expired alredy.but independent ucap power no need battery for charge.cheap smps are great. I hope power regenerator-iso trafo-r core-Sigma11-lt3045 get better than any u caps.

29 minutes ago, hurka said:

sorry, in china no youtube and redtube.my vpn expired alredy.but independent ucap power no need battery for charge.cheap smps are great. I hope power regenerator-iso trafo-r core-Sigma11-lt3045 get better than any u caps.

OK, no problem! Keep me posted how they compares though. I pretty much know how the Sigma 11>LT3045 route sounds like, allthough I use DC blocker trap filter>Balanced IT>Balanced toroidal AC-AC ps in front of it.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 hours ago, hurka said:

iso regen feeding bluwave think not so good.better you use independent power both(I tested with singxer).  Sigma 11 arrive soon,i hope  better than lt1084 board. If Sparky usb and auralic mini similar sq(don't know),then x10sba mobo big jump in SQ.

ucaps powering lps1.2 insane category.....

Hi hurka 

you can power the 12v and the 5v from two s11's. The s11 can't do 3,3v so use //lt3045 from 5v to 3,3v. 

I am planning to do the same but with 3045's for the 12v and 5v too.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

I did one cable ve+, second ve- all four conductors on one or the other. You could be right about alternating them, I don't know.

This configuration would seem to cancel any benefit of the special noise cancelling properties of the Star Quad design. Any perceived benefit may be due to reduced impedance. If you want to reduce impedance properly with a star quad design, you may need to find a thicker gauge cable. I use Canare 4S8. 

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

46 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Hi hurka 

you can power the 12v and the 5v from two s11's. The s11 can't do 3,3v so use //lt3045 from 5v to 3,3v. 

I am planning to do the same but with 3045's for the 12v and 5v too.

first ordered only one s11,if good then buy others.can I test with dac,think more sensitive vs mobo.

lt3045's arrived 

31 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

This configuration would seem to cancel any benefit of the special noise cancelling properties of the Star Quad design. Any perceived benefit may be due to reduced impedance. If you want to reduce impedance properly with a star quad design, you may need to find a thicker gauge cable. I use Canare 4S8. 

Yes, you are right. The idea was to emulate what Cornan had done with JSSG 360 on two separate cables. Sq has taken a big jump and I am hearing details never heard before. The impact is stunning.

I may create a second cable with mixed polarity on each cable and compare the two. Right now, it ain’t broken so I’m going to leave things alone.

Throughout the system replacing Canare 4S8 with JSSG 360 treatment with the Gotham has increased SQ.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

13 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, you are right. The idea was to emulate what Cornan had done with JSSG 360 on two separate cables. Sq has taken a big jump and I am hearing details never heard before. The impact is stunning.

I may create a second cable with mixed polarity on each cable and compare the two. Right now, it ain’t broken so I’m going to leave things alone.

Throughout the system replacing Canare 4S8 with JSSG 360 treatment with the Gotham has increased SQ.

Yes, as Cornan has discovered there seems to be some sq gains by having the positive and negative wires in separate cables (with some distance between) IMAG0268.thumb.jpg.7c8165f49dc7393ecc885e48195bcc36.jpg

I made this cable several weeks ago as a test and I can't bring myself to take it out. It's 10awg trimmed at each end to fit in the screw terminals with separate jssg 360 for positive and negative. I first tried jssg 360 just on the positive but there were improvements again with the JSSG 360 for the negative as well. Even with such a short cable JSSG 360 still has a very nice impact on both positive and negative wires ?

49 minutes ago, lmitche said:

When I did my first trial with two separate cables I used them with mixed polarity. It was´nt until I decided to use them with separate polarity the real magic appeared. 

Another thing that I also noticed when using screw terminal DC plugs is that solid wire ends sounds considerably better than stranded. This is still very much a hunch that I intend to evaluate more soon by simply solder a solid wire end to the tip of the stranded wires. Furthermore this solid wire can be very thin and still make a difference for the better on a thick gauge wire.

🎛️  Audio System  

58 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Well, my apologies. Seems that DC cable experimentation has advanced somewhat since StarQuad!?

I missed Cornan's post. Intriguing!

@JohnSwenson any thoughts on this?

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

16 hours ago, lmitche said:

Finally done with this "mother of all DC cables" mod. Two hours in, sq has taken another leap. More then worth the purchase of $60 of Molex tooling. It will curious to hear what the next 48 hours brings.

Thanks to Rajiv for the idea!

20180715_171957.jpg

Just wondering how you got those wires to fit the Molex pins - are they special pins or did you thin out the wires before soldering?

I made a single Canare quadstar cable with 2 Pin Molex and had to thin out the wire pairs to get them crimped in the pin. Cant imagine attaching 2 pairs to 1 pin.

TIA!

5 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

Just wondering how you got those wires to fit the Molex pins - are they special pins or did you thin out the wires before soldering?

I made a single Canare quadstar cable with 2 Pin Molex and had to thin out the wire pairs to get them crimped in the pin. Cant imagine attaching 2 pairs to 1 pin.

TIA!

That's an 8 pin molex connector so it is a one to one wire to pin ratio with the Gotham cable.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

He bought a special tool to do those molex terminations.

So great to hear the Gotham worked fantastic on the PCs power cable Larry!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

5 minutes ago, lmitche said:

That's an 8 pin molex connector so it is a one to one wire to pin ratio with the Gotham cable

Ok thanks, that makes sense. A quick look at the pic made me think it was 2 pin. Is there another way or an adapter to use 4 wires to a 2 pin Molex male plug or just thin out the wire?

6 hours ago, Cornan said:

Vinnie Rossi is using ultracaps in his power supply...

https://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

Talking about the LPS-1.2. Today I decided to move my LPS-1.2 around a bit. Letting it power the Aqvox switch-8 instead of BluWave Spdif output which instead got the LT3045 1A>MS-HPULN. I thought I ones more give the LPS-1.2 a go without MS-HPULN as feeder regulator. Sounded really dull, but overall the bass improved a lot. Intrigued I added the MS-HPULN again with a simple Canare 4S6. Aaah, better and more alive! Took it one step further and changed out the short lenght Canare 4S6 to dual Supra DAC with a Kemet A750 cap at the input of the MS-HPULN feeding the LPS-1.2. Here is some pictures, but do remember that this is soley a TEMPERARILY setup for evaluation purposes ONLY. Notice that the Ghent JSSG is still the longest cable.

E2A83982-958D-4C09-9266-D336E969AD63.thumb.jpeg.f1587f31765cc00a707e4b5cf7a60f98.jpeg1D9CAA91-458A-41D6-B297-FA1B8FE04589.thumb.jpeg.d8733818bed30108feae927509147043.jpegA1D0FCB7-79B6-4B4D-9741-05BFA64151AD.thumb.jpeg.60d5fdfdf3742cc980ef6057e6acb7e9.jpeg

Holy cow! Improved a lot with that short cable plus Kemet. Much more air pumped into the music. A more pronounced bass. More fibers.

Well, next I will use this to see what a simple JSSG360 type of solution will bring to the table on this short cable. If it improves further I will make everything nicer looking (but maybe not RickyV type of nice. His cable looks stunning to these eyes). Promise! ?

1C40036E-59FA-415B-8F6B-F494ADDA46CF.thumb.jpeg.a6e040c201ca89ed895226af33476ab3.jpeg

🎛️  Audio System  

Maybe a silly or previously discussed topic but has anyone compared a JSSG360 construction with just multiple layers of braid/foil/etc that have no insulating layer?

Not having experimented myself to the extent of many posters here, I am wondering if it is the 360 construction or a case of building a thick enough wall?!  E.g., doing JSSG360 on the Gotham with its own multiple layers of shield seems to be a winner.

IIRC, someone commented that several layers of shielding tightly in contact with each other without a ground or insulation would constitute a Faraday cage.