IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, Cooler said:

Guys, did you test how ECC/non ECC memory impacts SQ?

I am thinking to change motherboard and heard somewhere, that ECC memory is better for SQ, but i found only server big motherboards, which support that, and i prefer to have low power mb, like Supermicro X10SBA suggested above.

Some AMD based motherboards support  ECC memory.  Not sure if that helps.

Does anybody know if it is possible to passievely split the pci bus of the supermicro X10Sba, support bifurcation? 

I may what buy one but it needs to support my jcat usb card and i would like to use a optane ssd for the os. Is that possible? 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Does anybody know if it is possible to passievely split the pci bus of the supermicro X10Sba, support bifurcation? 

I may what buy one but it needs to support my jcat usb card and i would like to use a optane ssd for the os. Is that possible?

That would not be possible, it will not recognize any type of optane / NVME based SSD - the BIOS is very basic.

Thanks @LTG2010, pitty. The next best thing would be to replace the clock on a normal ssd. But i can’t do that myself.

How is your powersupply comming allong? Do you have some pics?

Would you buy the x10sba again or would buy something different today.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

47 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Would you buy the x10sba again or would buy something different today.

It's taken a bit of a back seat recently due to other commitments, etc. I had planned to re wire internally with Neotech OCC copper including the umbilical chord but have not had the time, its next on my list. Also I'm waiting for Rubycon to release their new 'black gate'

capacitor replacements, I might switch them for the Elna's on my SOTM cards.

The processor has limited power so really you can only upsample PCM or DSD 128. Recently I've just been playing at original resolution and seem to prefer that, it seems to sound more natural.

I am interested in optane SSD and would like to see a test of that against the intel SLC  I think @ johnseye was going to test that ?

I'd like to see what the new custom motherboards from the like of Innuos, etc. have to offer technically before I move on to a new board.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:58 PM, str-1 said:

Can reflections be an issue with USB cables 

https://www.intona.eu/en/stories/cable

It seems that there are measurable parameters for the specific length of the USB cable and the impedance. Don't know are there any difference in SQ for the different grades of cable (representing different specifications in this Vector Network Analysis tested /measured USB cables)?

18 hours ago, hurka said:

other question:

leave pico psu real benefit ?

I never used the X10 with a Pico, went straight to a linear ATX. I think @nuno from Innuos commented on this a while back.

Basically the Pico has similar standard regulators to those on the motherboard. Using the Pico allows you to power the CPU directly via the 4 pin connector with a separate linear supply - that's the benefit of the Pico.

With your abilities you can easily knock up 3 rails @ 1.5A 3.3V, 5V & 12V to replace the Pico that will give the best sound upgrade.

I believe the new motherboards from Innuos address the weak spots on the X10 that produce excess EMI. I'm guessing these are mainly where the switching regulators are so it would be worthwhile to cover these with some EMI shield.

I had thought about tracing the 1.35V input to the RAM and powering the RAM directly from a linear supply (or 2) but that's something for the future but is a worthwhile upgrade.

Although admittedly not quite fair, I'll throw one vote in here for "new does not always equal better."

I have a purchased JSS360'd DC cable that I just received and put on between my LPS-1 and a W4S Remedy. The new cable was to satisfy my curiosity here since I have zero solder-skillz. I'm not ever sure I spelled solder correctly, and at this point I haven't any time to even dabble, anyway, so thanks to the vendor for bringing this to market quickly.

To be fair, as an experienced believer in burn-in, feel free to disregard me as I haven't burned in the cable more than four hours. But it's no contest: while the new cable has some notable detail up top, the incumbent Zen Wave silver cable is easily a couple steps ahead up and down the freq spectrum. After three hours, I had had enough of the thin, glare-ish "digital" sound and put Zen Wave back in. Ahhh, immediately back to the full, evenly detailed and cohesive smooth analog sound I've grown fond of. 

YMMV. Someday when I get an LPS-1.2 and move my LPS-1 to my office rig I'll throw the new cable in and see if it smooths/fills out after a hundred or two. It's only fair, after all.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

1 hour ago, feelingears said:

while the new cable has some notable detail up top, the incumbent Zen Wave silver cable is easily a couple steps ahead up and down the freq spectrum.

How does the gauge of wire compare with both types  ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

How does the gauge of wire compare with both types  ?

Will have to dig a bit to compare. This seems to be a consistent factor with cables in my experience.

BTW the new Audience Forte power cable is 10 gauge I think and it’s a top to bottom winner in my system where others have sparkled up top but consistently ruined the bass when used with a Naim Hi Cap. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

5 hours ago, feelingears said:

Although admittedly not quite fair, I'll throw one vote in here for "new does not always equal better."

I have a purchased JSS360'd DC cable that I just received and put on between my LPS-1 and a W4S Remedy. The new cable was to satisfy my curiosity here since I have zero solder-skillz. I'm not ever sure I spelled solder correctly, and at this point I haven't any time to even dabble, anyway, so thanks to the vendor for bringing this to market quickly.

To be fair, as an experienced believer in burn-in, feel free to disregard me as I haven't burned in the cable more than four hours. But it's no contest: while the new cable has some notable detail up top, the incumbent Zen Wave silver cable is easily a couple steps ahead up and down the freq spectrum. After three hours, I had had enough of the thin, glare-ish "digital" sound and put Zen Wave back in. Ahhh, immediately back to the full, evenly detailed and cohesive smooth analog sound I've grown fond of. 

YMMV. Someday when I get an LPS-1.2 and move my LPS-1 to my office rig I'll throw the new cable in and see if it smooths/fills out after a hundred or two. It's only fair, after all.

If this is a Gotham cable it will take 48 hours to burn in.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

27 minutes ago, lmitche said:

What seems to be the element that supposedly makes the Gotham cable superior in DC applications to say the Canare 4S6?

I don't think the conductor is anything special like OCC or Ag and it is quite a thin gauge which has been established to be unfavourable.

Both Canare and Gotham have the star quad construction.

If it it related to the shield then a Canare 4S6 with JSSG 360 should be at least as good if not better but that doesn't seem to be the case from some who have tested and posted.

Just curious.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

2 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

One thing for sure  , if you take the exact same cable  .If one is  JSSG360 treated it is clearly superior .

In you case you have two different cable with different metallurgy and construction and it is not because one is JSSG 360 that it will be better .

In my case i have found the Gotham to be clearly superior to a canare 4S6 JSSG 360 . I do think that the gotham has an extremely good shielding and may be better copper than canare ... They are both star quad .

I did another test with heavy gauge Neotech OCC copper in a twisted pair and JSSG360  , this is so far the best DC cable in my system .

Again star quad should be a plus but in this case the metallurgy brings more benefit than a star quad of lesser metallurgy .

To be done with that i have ordered silver cable from audio sensibility that i will treat with JSSG 360. 

To be followed ...

Jean-michel, yes your AG cable test will be interesting. What devices are you using for the test?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

My Ghent Gotham just arrived and is now in the system.  Do things continue to change in terms of sonics after 48 hours or is the sound stabilized at 48 hours?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

So got my practically brand new and sadly dented in one corner during shipping, Nov 2017 mfg date, $155 Cisco 2960-L-16PS-LL up and running as my main, and now only, switch. I was hasty in plugging it into the network and had a hell of a time getting everything to work properly but they do know. Couldn't seem to get the fiber working to the older 2960 upstairs, so just went with the Ghent JSSG lan cable to the mR plugged into a keystone that then goes to the new Cisco main switch almost directly below it in basement closet.

To my ears, the new switch, even with the cheap keystone, sounds better than the old 2960 (mfg date 2010) switch with the fiber link. More natural, less fatiguing sounding. Better separation esp in the highs - for example on my test track, the beginning of Jamal's Ahmad's Blues title track, there's a long piano roll in the high notes. I can really hear the individual keys now. I also run the mR in Bridge mode to feed Roon to the UQ in the office, via cheap Teragrand flat (to go under a carpet) lan cable from the new main switch, and that sounds better as well.

My conclusion is there's really no gain in going via fiber to another older 2960 unless for infrastructure reasons. I also think the quality of a switch is really a lot more important than many realize. I may experiment again, but for now I'm not touching anything! 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

8 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

I did another test with heavy gauge Neotech OCC copper in a twisted pair and JSSG360  , this is so far the best DC cable in my system .

Yeah, I think the Neotech is it, and the heavier the gauge the better. I also made up 12 gauge separated "cables" out of cheap Romex for the NUC and external HD attached to it powered by HDPLEX. System overall sounds bit beefier from it. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:40 AM, beautiful music said:

Did you listen to your tX-USBUltra with LPS-1 or not yet?

Did you face a problem with those things?

Oops error !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

Jean-michel, yes your AG cable test will be interesting. What devices are you using for the test?

I will use it to power either my SOTM dxUSBhd or txUSB ultra .

You will need to be a little patient for result ,since i will be on holiday and report results around mid august .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis