IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

18 hours ago, austinpop said:

I'm pretty sure I used the 3/4" braid https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEG9V2R/ for both layers. I used the 1/2" sleeving for the outermost sheath. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M98HTV/

That was due to the BNC connector. This is a non issue with the Lush. Just make sure to start and end the braid a bit into the cable, well past the 2 USB connectors. Since the connectors are already covered by the Lush heatshrink, you shouldn't have any issue.

Yeah, it'll be obvious when you get there. There's enough fraying and unraveling of the braid during the act of pulling it over the cable, that there's enough strands. You're essentially pressing the ends of both the inner and the outer braid together. A bit of a twist gets enough contact.

Again - obvious when you have it in hand. It has a taffy-like consistency. Use some tension to stretch it when you wrap, and it just adheres when you press it in. Magic!

Yup.

I haven't done it, but I see no earthly reason why it wouldn't be completely reversible.

Nope - it's even simpler since the connector and cable are similar in diameter - as opposed to the BNC where the connector is quite a lot bigger. And with the Lush you don't need to worry about insulating the metallic end of the connector that is close to the shield.

Just try it. The first one may not be too pretty, but you'll get the hang of it.

Has anyone tried using Stillpoints ERS Tape between the two layers of Braid instead of electrical tape etc.?

51 minutes ago, Bruce Orr said:

What would make it a better option?

By all accounts, electrical tape works quite well for the JSSG 360 insulation layer, so there is certainly no need to use anything else.  However, builders grade vinyl electrical tape is probably not going to provide much shielding relative to Stillpoints ERS, which is designed specifically to redirect, absorb, and diffuse EMI/RFI frequencies.  So, if you are looking to maximize the benefits of the JSSG 360 application, Stillpoints ERS seems to be a good alternative to electrical tape.

I am no expert, but that is my reasoning.

Sounds like a good idea. I’m DEFINITELY not an expert but  should I have any concern about this statement below from their website? Would the overlapping wrap constitute too much?

Please note... In some analog circuits, the presence of EMI/RFI was tuned into the frequency response of the device. Therefore, a minimal amount of ERS is recommended.

32 minutes ago, Bruce Orr said:

Sounds like a good idea. I’m DEFINITELY not an expert but  should I have any concern about this statement below from their website? Would the overlapping wrap constitute too much?

Please note... In some analog circuits, the presence of EMI/RFI was tuned into the frequency response of the device. Therefore, a minimal amount of ERS is recommended.

Since you're talking about shielding cables, I don't believe it would be an issue.

16 hours ago, Confused said:

I exchanged a number of emails with May from SOtM last week, and this was one of the topics covered.  It would seem that SOtM were using the word "dynamic" in relation to tonal balance, not in terms of dynamic range we (native English speakers that is) might read it.  Other than the tonal changes, in terms of detail retrieval/ resolution/dynamics (as we would understand the term) the Neo and original sMS-200 are "like twins".  (May's words in quotes)  And let's be honest here, is it not a little odd that a manufacturer would issue a press release stating that the new model is less dynamic than the one it replaces?  So either staggeringly honest, or "lost in translation" to a degree.

What I do agree with fully is your statement "I think we won't know until we've tried it."  So far we are speculating based on nothing more than a rather curiously phrased couple of paragraphs in a manufacturers press release.   My hierarchy of trust, from bottom to top, runs something like manufacturers comments, magazine reviews, user reports, high quality measured data, my ears.  So far, we only have the first of these. 

For the record, I have decided to get the Neo upgrade (or the Neo downgrade, for those not convinced).  My cunning plan is to do a last A/B/C test between the sMS200Ultra/microrendu/Devialet AIR before packing up my sMS-200Ultra for return.  I shall then repeat the test when the Neo'ed sMS-200Ultra returns.  I think this is the nearest equivalent I can get to an original versus Neo head to head.

G'day @Confused

You didn't happen to ask May if the new neo power board is able to be installed at home? I'm hoping this will be possible as I don't really want to be without my sMS-200 for too long ?... As well as saving on shipping ?

7 hours ago, Bricki said:

G'day @Confused

You didn't happen to ask May if the new neo power board is able to be installed at home? I'm hoping this will be possible as I don't really want to be without my sMS-200 for too long ?... As well as saving on shipping ?

No, this was not discussed.  However, May did say that they are looking to get the Neo installation done by "local partners".  So the update may not require the trip to Korea and back.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

No, this was not discussed.  However, May did say that they are looking to get the Neo installation done by "local partners".  So the update may not require the trip to Korea and back.

Ah ok, thanks. That's good. I purchased mine through Crux Australia so hopefully they will be one of the local partners ?

10 hours ago, hurka said:

X10Sba Mobo arrived,i want to feed with some lt3045-lt1963-lt1084`s-sps 500 in the first time.(later maybe add sotm card ,clock,linear power-transformers,rectifiers ….)if the sound promising.

This is a great mobo . I use it since 6 month and love it in term of sq it is very quiet. My local audio friends here have all converted to this mobo !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

? 

(Still in development).

39D10034-DE16-4041-B82C-3CE0160AF7AB.jpeg

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

Sorry if this derails some of the more recent topics of discussion but as this thread seems to attract some of the most knowledgable and helpful people on CA I thought I would post my question here.  

Generally speaking, should USB cables used for connecting audio devices (in my case, connecting an Innuos Zenith SE to a tX-USBultra, and the tX-U to a Chord Blu 2) be as short as possible, or are there reasons why the cables should be a minimum length regardless of the distance between the sockets to be connected?

I’m asking because I am now tired of the ugly placement of the tX-U behind the Zenith SE, which was the only way I could use the 20cm Curious Link cable I originally bought to connect a microRendu to my Chord DAVE.  I want to buy a longer cable that will allow me to place the tX-U beside the Blu 2, which a 40cm or 50cm cable would allow me to do (the cable needs to have the 5v line for handshake purposes).  I bought the short Curious cable because the Curious website says short is best for USB, although it doesn’t say why.  But I also gained an understanding when researching into connecting the Blu 2 to DAVE that it was best to have BNC cables of at least 1.5m to reduce or eliminate the risk of reflections (I actually have heavily ferrited 1m Clearer Audio cables and can’t say I have noticed any problems with them).  Can reflections be an issue with USB cables (you can tell from that question that I am not a techie)?

I would like to go for a really good 40cm-50cm cable but would be prepared to go longer and pay more if there might be good sound quality reasons for doing so.  I would be very grateful for others thoughts on this.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

52 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Sorry if this derails some of the more recent topics of discussion but as this thread seems to attract some of the most knowledgable and helpful people on CA I thought I would post my question here.  

Generally speaking, should USB cables used for connecting audio devices (in my case, connecting an Innuos Zenith SE to a tX-USBultra, and the tX-U to a Chord Blu 2) be as short as possible, or are there reasons why the cables should be a minimum length regardless of the distance between the sockets to be connected?

I’m asking because I am now tired of the ugly placement of the tX-U behind the Zenith SE, which was the only way I could use the 20cm Curious Link cable I originally bought to connect a microRendu to my Chord DAVE.  I want to buy a longer cable that will allow me to place the tX-U beside the Blu 2, which a 40cm or 50cm cable would allow me to do (the cable needs to have the 5v line for handshake purposes).  I bought the short Curious cable because the Curious website says short is best for USB, although it doesn’t say why.  But I also gained an understanding when researching into connecting the Blu 2 to DAVE that it was best to have BNC cables of at least 1.5m to reduce or eliminate the risk of reflections (I actually have heavily ferrited 1m Clearer Audio cables and can’t say I have noticed any problems with them).  Can reflections be an issue with USB cables (you can tell from that question that I am not a techie)?

I would like to go for a really good 40cm-50cm cable but would be prepared to go longer and pay more if there might be good sound quality reasons for doing so.  I would be very grateful for others thoughts on this.

I have also read recommendations for USB to be less than 1(?) meter but, like you, would like some scientific basis for short cables.

7 hours ago, BigGuy said:

I have also read recommendations for USB to be less than 1(?) meter but, like you, would like some scientific basis for short cables.

Try ripping some high quality material to a USB 2.0 memory stick plugged directly into a USB 2.0 port , then do the same again with the USB 2.0 memory stick plugged into a 3M (10Ft) TYPE A MALE TO TYPE A FEMALE USB 2.0 EXTENSION CABLE.

If your gear is revealing enough you will notice some degradation from using the longer cable ,when both are played back directly from the USB 2.0 port.

Make the cable much longer though and the DC resistance may become a problem resulting in failures.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

12 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

This is a great mobo . I use it since 6 month and love it in term of sq it is very quiet. My local audio friends here have all converted to this mobo !

quick assembled yesterday for test,like 12v pico psu-sps500 for mobo, other simple  smps 12v feed cpu and ssd.

sound great!!!analogy,relaxed,big stage.really promising.Still sclk ex clocked sparky with powerstor u cap psu sound better,but not far.

I waiting some LT boards and prepare some clocked sotm usb ……..

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Reflections are not a factor in USB cable signaling the way they are with S/PDIF cables.

That aside, USB cables of considerable length (as well a lot not properly engineered “audiophile” USB cables) really mess up USB signal integrity (elements of jitter, slew, amplitude, noise as seen on an eye-pattern).  Proper 90 ohm impedance is desirable as well.  So yes, in general a bit shorter is better—all else being equal.

Variations in signal integrity—which has an internal effect on the PHY and USB protocol processor inside the DAC/DDC, in turn causing ground-plane and packet dtata noise, in turn disturbing the DAC master clock—is why we hear differences between USB cables.

[Of course greatly improved signal integrity and impedance match (plus galvanic isolation to block leakage and other noise)—right at the DAC’s input—are the primary purposes of our popular ISO REGEN.]

B|

Thanks, Alex.  Very helpful.

You might recall that I also have an ISO Regen and a couple of USPCBs, which, together with a mRendu 1.4, are waiting for me to decide what part of the house to run a second system to.  I found the USPCBs to be clearly better than the Curious Link cable but sadly they are not usable with the physical makeup of my current living room system.  I was also very happy with the ISO Regen but ended up getting the tX-USBultra mainly because after always wanting to own a Paul Hynes power supply I snapped up an SR4 when that came out and found better tonal synergy with the tX-U. Had I stayed with the ISO Regen I suspect I would have preferred that with the LPS-1.2 (I have two LPS-1s).

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

23 hours ago, Confused said:

For me, the Neo version is a move of SOtM to please more customers. Which as a company is probably a good move, however, It's a pity that the original version would be discontinued.

In my chain which is completely digital, including the amps and with speakers with beryllium tweeters, I had to make a considerable effort to get rid of the tad brightness I experienced. However, I never considered it was the sMS-200 Ultra at fault. I did some extreme EMI/RFI shielding, got rid of as much as possible SMPS's in the vicinity of the audio chain and did some small power filtering. I can still hear Shirley Bassey screaming through my speakers, in my mind, but not anymore today through my system.

11 hours ago, hurka said:

quick assembled yesterday for test,like 12v pico psu-sps500 for mobo, other simple  smps 12v feed cpu and ssd.

sound great!!!analogy,relaxed,big stage.really promising.Still sclk ex clocked sparky with powerstor u cap psu sound better,but not far.

I waiting some LT boards and prepare some clocked sotm usb ……..

Put back sparky, not better!!! Supermicro sound better!!!!!

Guys, did you test how ECC/non ECC memory impacts SQ?

I am thinking to change motherboard and heard somewhere, that ECC memory is better for SQ, but i found only server big motherboards, which support that, and i prefer to have low power mb, like Supermicro X10SBA suggested above.

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers