IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

15 minutes ago, limniscate said:

I did like the tX on HD-PLEX when the dX was also on the tX--just not when the dX was on the SR4 and the tX was on the HD-PLEX. 

OK I am clear about that now thanks.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The FS switches are 100 mbps, so that means you liked the 1 gb connection best. Over here, the 1 gb nic sounds best set at 100mbps via it's driver configuration.

I actually misspoke earlier. Here is the corrected list. I've also annotated it to indicate the speed the SE server sees.

Configurations:

1. Wall > SE <---------- sounded the best                                                                                             1Gbps
  2. Bridge > reclocked switch (LPS-1, but clock supplied by tX-USBultra on HDPlex) > SE            100Mbps
  3. Wall > Netgear FS105 (HDPlex 12V - does not work with LPS-1 at 7V) > SE                               100Mbps
  4. Wall > Netgear FS105 (HDPlex, with ground shunted via iFi Groundhog) > SE                            100Mbps

@limniscate - that sound right to you? I'm pretty sure this is it, as I was the one crawling around making cable changes while you wallowed in the sweet spot as the blind listener. 9_9 

6 minutes ago, welldone said:

I'm intending to buy a new HDplex 200 to feed 2 Lps1 (1 for SMS200, 1 for TX-USB Ultra). Is that a good idea? Please give your recommendation. Thanks.

After the first 250 LPS-1.2 orders are shipped, we will begin offering our 7.5V/4.8A/36W adapter separately for $15 to those who want one.  Until then, there is a CUI brand 12V/2.5A/30W unit available in the US from DigiKey and other distributors (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=102-4104-ND.  This is one that I personally confirmed connects AC ground to DC output "ground." 

Hope this helps.

--Alex C.

I recently purchased and received the CUI supply that Alex mentioned above and the results have been fantastic. I am powering two LPS-1's, which in turn are powering my sMS-200 and HDTA Serenade Pro Dac respectively. My system has never sounded better and they were only $17 each. UpTone will be offering a similar item in the future. FYI!

22 minutes ago, limniscate said:

Second generation, so not the current one but the 100 watt with the USB-C. 

Ok, that makes sense. The current model is said to be a great improvement. I hear there are inherent stability issues with the 100 watt unit.

My 3 year old 250 watt DC ATX was just replaced by the newer 400 watt DC ATX and the latest generation product sounds better, with improved bass, (I had to dial the sub back), and top end extension. Clarity and presence is off the charts with the dual PSU solution.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

What is controlling the SE.  Did you bridge the IP address, if that is even possible.

Also, is the SE sensitive to the upstream device controlling it.  I thought I read somewhere the Ultrarendu are.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong.  Just wondering about the Influence that has on an SE.

Hi Eric / @limniscate - great post and it sounds like you and Rajiv are having some real testing fun.

I also have the Cerious Technologies graphene speaker cables after stumbling upon rave reviews on another forum. I'm a fan now and have ordered balanced XLRs too. I can't say I tested against many rivals but I like them and think the punch above their weight for a pretty reasonable price point. Bob Grost is also a pleasure to deal with. 

In terms of future tests can I ask that you consider whether LPS-1 vs LPS-2.1 is possible to test?  

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

I think we can also credit the isolation built into the Zenith SE ethernet port. As Nuno wrote on this other forum:

The ethernet ports on the Zenith are no ordinary Ethernet ports you find on normal "consumer-grade" boards. The ethernet ports have 4 separate isolation transformers each to further isolate the connection (4 small grey boxes right before each ethernet port). We also do extensive anti-vibration treatment of the chassis, the LPSU and even the SSD, converting vibration into very small amounts of heat. This makes a very audible difference in sound quality.

The Ethernet board is important, no doubt. It made a big difference going from mobo Ethernet to JCAT LAN. Probably of even more significance if bridging them like I do.  

9 hours ago, welldone said:

I'm intending to buy a new HDplex 200 to feed 2 Lps1 (1 for SMS200, 1 for TX-USB Ultra). Is that a good idea? Please give your recommendation. Thanks.

Sorry I've never used an HDPlex 200 so I can't answer your question.  I'm sure @Superdad could give you a definitive answer.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

16 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I've had the dCBL-UF in my system (between the tX-USBultra and Auralic Vega) for the past 4-5 weeks.  I have the silver version with the 5v power.  I was skeptical that this cable could possibly be worth anywhere near the price I paid, but the sound is simply stunning.  I am extremely happy with it as a replacement for the Lush cable.  When I added a single ferrite, the sound improved further.

They're also working on dCBL-BNC as linked below, it's gotta be pretty dope as well

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/dcbl-bnc/

Most likely that's meant to match the performance of sCLK-OCX10 so let's see how it goes.

9 hours ago, lmitche said:

Clarity and presence is off the charts with the dual PSU solution.

Can you please document your dual PSU solution?  I know part of it is using the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX.

34 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

They're also working on dCBL-BNC as linked below, it's gotta be pretty dope as well

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/dcbl-bnc/

Most likely that's meant to match the performance of sCLK-OCX10 so let's see how it goes.

I actually bought two dCBL-BNC when I ordered the sCLK-OCX10 since they were being offered at a discounted introductory price when bundled together.  9_9

10 hours ago, pas said:

After the first 250 LPS-1.2 orders are shipped, we will begin offering our 7.5V/4.8A/36W adapter separately for $15 to those who want one.  Until then, there is a CUI brand 12V/2.5A/30W unit available in the US from DigiKey and other distributors (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=102-4104-ND.  This is one that I personally confirmed connects AC ground to DC output "ground." 

Hope this helps.

--Alex C.

I recently purchased and received the CUI supply that Alex mentioned above and the results have been fantastic. I am powering two LPS-1's, which in turn are powering my sMS-200 and HDTA Serenade Pro Dac respectively. My system has never sounded better and they were only $17 each. UpTone will be offering a similar item in the future. FYI!

Did you have to buy a separate DC cable?  The photo only shows the adapter.

12 hours ago, lmitche said:

Ok, that makes sense. The current model is said to be a great improvement. I hear there are inherent stability issues with the 100 watt unit.

My 3 year old 250 watt DC ATX was just replaced by the newer 400 watt DC ATX and the latest generation product sounds better, with improved bass, (I had to dial the sub back), and top end extension. Clarity and presence is off the charts with the dual PSU solution.

Not disagreeing, but this is interesting in light of what Larry told me just a few weeks ago. I have the previous DC-ATX unit and asked him about sound quality improvements with the 400 watt unit. He said there are no differences in SQ, the 400W was designed only to provide more power.

My impressions from dealing with Larry on several products in the past few years is he does not design specifically for sound quality at all. He has also said that about the different versions of his LPSs.

There are some users (forget if here or elsewhere) that say HDP products do not compare favorably with some other high end ones known to the audiophile community. But I am intrigued to hear that someone says that maybe this is not the case.

40 minutes ago, kilroy said:

Not disagreeing, but this is interesting in light of what Larry told me just a few weeks ago. I have the previous DC-ATX unit and asked him about sound quality improvements with the 400 watt unit. He said there are no differences in SQ, the 400W was designed only to provide more power.

My impressions from dealing with Larry on several products in the past few years is he does not design specifically for sound quality at all. He has also said that about the different versions of his LPSs.

There are some users (forget if here or elsewhere) that say HDP products do not compare favorably with some other high end ones known to the audiophile community. But I am intrigued to hear that someone says that maybe this is not the case.

I think there is to many Larry's here to keep my mind straight, or is @lmitche the Larry you are talking about? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

I actually misspoke earlier. Here is the corrected list. I've also annotated it to indicate the speed the SE server sees.

Configurations:

1. Wall > SE <---------- sounded the best                                                                                             1Gbps
  2. Bridge > reclocked switch (LPS-1, but clock supplied by tX-USBultra on HDPlex) > SE            100Mbps
  3. Wall > Netgear FS105 (HDPlex 12V - does not work with LPS-1 at 7V) > SE                               100Mbps
  4. Wall > Netgear FS105 (HDPlex, with ground shunted via iFi Groundhog) > SE                            100Mbps

@limniscate - that sound right to you? I'm pretty sure this is it, as I was the one crawling around making cable changes while you wallowed in the sweet spot as the blind listener. 9_9 

1Gbps always sounded better than 100Mbps in my setup (except during a short period of time with my 100Base-TX experiments with silver plated starquads and FMCs). Direct connection from main router to switch sounds better than through a wireless bridge when the AC mains is "fully" isolated. With a not so isolated AC mains the wireless bridge is better. Aqvox switch-8 always improves SQ. BTW, I only use cloud based music (as you know...but maybe not everyone else). 

When it comes to fuses. Try the AHP fuses. They are cheaper and they are better than everything else, but Furutech fuses IME. I have tried most of them. Be sure to treat the fuses with DeoxIT. It makes a big difference!

🎛️  Audio System  

On 2/19/2018 at 6:10 PM, rickca said:

Bottom line seems to be that powering stuff from the motherboard (USB, SATA disk, ethernet) is just bad for sound quality.

So now I have an SR4 powering my internal X25-M SSD and an LPS-1.2 powering my Startech PCIe USB 3.1 Gen2 card.  My micro iDSD with an ISO REGEN/LPS-1 is plugged into the Startech card.  I plan to get a Samsung T5 external SSD for music files and plug it into the Startech card as well.  The T5 is bus powered, but now clean bus power is supplied by the LPS-1.2 powering the Startech card.  

I may decide to switch the 3 power supplies around ... for example, I may prefer to use the LPS-1.2 for the ISO REGEN, and I may need to use the 2A SR4 to provide enough juice for the Startech USB card peripherals.

I also have a Startech USB3 ethernet adapter plugged into the Startech card.  This means my ethernet adapter is similarly getting clean power from the LPS-1.2.  It is part of a bridged network adapter and my ultraRendu is attached to the Startech USB3 ethernet adapter via Blue Jeans cat 6A cable.  

To clarify, I don't use the ISO REGEN and ultraRendu at the same time.  I either attach the micro iDSD to the ISO REGEN or to the ultraRendu for a listening session, depending on whether I want a direct USB or a network streamer configuration.  I'm hoping that A+ for Windows comes out soon.

So this is a pretty versatile setup.  I'm just using a Z170 motherboard and an i7-6700K CPU.  This rig was originally built as a gaming/productivity machine rather than an audio PC.  

The funny thing is that these 3 LPS probably cost as much as the rest of the rig.

PS:  My main audio system has an Zenith SE controlled by iPeng9 on an iPad Pro.  I need a reliable turnkey solution somewhere!  This other stuff is for experimentation to see how scarily close I can make it sound.

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hello? Is this thing on?

A little tip for those of you using a reference clock with the tX-USBultra. Nominally, there is no visual indicator on the exterior to show whether a reference clock attached to the BNC input on the back is working correctly.

Well, there is. All credit to @limniscate for pointing this out to me.  I just never used my eyes to notice this before.

Peeking through the top of the tX into the box, you'll notice a blinking green LED on the sCLK-EX board. What's less obvious, is that adjacent to it is another LED that is unlit by default. When you connect a clock on the input, and it correctly syncs with the sCLK-EX board, this 2nd LED lights up with a steady green.

Take a look and tell me you're seeing this too. 9_9

Those with the sMS-200ultra are not so fortunate as the sCLK-EX is mounted upside down and the LEDs can only be seen when

the boards are removed from the box.  T8 six point torex for the box screws.

7 hours ago, Cornan said:

I think there is to many Larry's here to keep my mind straight, or is @lmitche the Larry you are talking about?

There's also a Larry at HDPLEX.