IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

On 15/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, Johnseye said:

See my post here:

The board I've identified, and will likely send off to SOtM for modification is the Jetway NF591.  Very similar to the DFI board Roy is using.  The Celeron proc is 6w.  It has a PCIe slot so I can use a tx-USBexp.  It has DC 2.5mm in which means I don't have to use an adapter from my SR7 anymore.  This is a big win.  But it has an M.2 slot which means I can A. use my current low power SSD and B. 

The M.2 slot is not capable of using the Optane stick, but I may be able to use it with the mini PCIE.

This board will go out to SOtM for modification this week.

Hi @Johnseye

I am very interested by your feedback when available about the  Jetway NF591 motherboard modified by SOTM .

Do they told you that they could modify both clock for the processor clock and also the ethernet clock ( for me as i am in a dual pc configuration ) . 

I have been looking also to the bios of these motherboard and i understand that there is no way to lock the CPU to a specific speed which usually has a quite significant impact on the sound quality . May be not so necessary for these processors with very low electrical consumption .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

5 hours ago, thyname said:

Excellent write up!

For the quoted phrase above, are you saying that when connecting the endpoint / streamer (such as microRendu or sMS-200) to that switch, nothing else should go to that switch (i.e. Apple TV, Xbox, etc)?

The switches mentioned are only 1/100 switches so cannot handle gigabit Ethernet. If you need gigabit for other devices go ahead and run them through a separate gigabit switch, using the FS108 or FS105 on a connection to the audio device.

I did not spend a lot of time trying all kinds of different configurations, in my tests I had the FS105 etc with just two connections, one to my main gigabit switch and one to the streamer. That does not mean that is the only configuration that will work, just that I didn't test any other configurations.

One thing I did find is that it is important to leave an empty port next to the one going to the endpoint. For example if the endpoint is on port 1, don't plug anything into port 2. (its actually more complex than that, sometimes you CAN plug something in next to the endpoint connection, but always leaving the ports next to it free will guarantee you don't have a problem).

John S.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

John,

Is grounding necessary if using an LPS-1 to power the switch?

YES, the grounding on the negative of the supply feeding the switch shunts the high impedance leakage coming from the network. So if using an LPS-1 you must ground the OUTPUT so the negative going into the switch is properly grounded.

John S.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Ah - you mean the SMPS energizing supply for the LPS-1 - aka Meanwell?

Also, @JohnSwenson - do you know what the FS105/FS108 are doing that is unique to suppress leakage through the transformers in the signal path? 

No I don't know what is special about these. Someday I MIGHT look into that, but it is complicated by many of these switches using magnetics that are very hard to find data on. The large companies frequently get custom magnetics from manufacturers in China making this task almost impossible.

John S.

@JohnSwenson why don't they make most SMPS with negative output grounded in the first place?  Is there a safety or cost issue?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 10/15/2017 at 5:54 PM, Johnseye said:

...It has a PCIe slot so I can use a tx-USBexp.

Hi @Johnseye does the tx-USBexp only come with PCIe slot, or do you know if there is a PCI version? I'm not familiar with hacking inside PCs and am considering upgrading my Antipodes DXe which has the older slot..

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 minute ago, rickca said:

@JohnSwenson why don't they make most SMPS with negative output grounded in the first place?  Is there a safety or cost issue?

Grounding the output opens the possibility of a good old fashioned ground loop (magnetic induction from hot wires to ground wire causing voltage difference between branches of the electrical wiring or long distances on the same circuit). But not grounding lets the high impedance leakage pass through to the output.

Nobody else even seems to be looking at high impedance leakage, I didn't even know about it until two months ago. It is so high an impedance that normal test equipment shorts it to ground and you never see it. The problem is that its effects ARE showing up in audio systems (not all and not in the same way in all systems, of course it can't be anything simple). I had to build my own test equipment to even see it.

A good part of the problem is that almost all the original work on leakage currents took place many years before the advent of SMPS so they were just looking at linear power supplies, which don't have the high impedance leakage. Its a fairly recent issue, significantly exacerbated by computers and computer networks involved in our audio systems. (since these almost always use SMPS)

John S.

35 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

YES, the grounding on the negative of the supply feeding the switch shunts the high impedance leakage coming from the network. So if using an LPS-1 you must ground the OUTPUT so the negative going into the switch is properly grounded.

John S.

I feel like I'm hearing conflicting things. At the risk of sounding dense, John, please help me understand. In my case, the chain is:

• AC mains > Meanwell SMPS (7.5V) > LPS-1 (7V) > switch

Should I ground the output of the Meanwell, the LPS-1, or both?

7 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Hi @Johnseye does the tx-USBexp only come with PCIe slot, or do you know if there is a PCI version? I'm not familiar with hacking inside PCs and am considering upgrading my Antipodes DXe which has the older slot..

You could use a tX-USBhubEX instead of the tX-USBexp.  SOtM used to make a tX-USB which I think was a PCI card.  You can read about the differences between tX-USBexp and tX-USB in the FAQ on this page

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/tx-usbexp/#toggle-id-1

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I feel like I'm hearing conflicting things. At the risk of sounding dense, John, please help me understand. In my case, the chain is:

• AC mains > Meanwell SMPS (7.5V) > LPS-1 (7V) > switch

Should I ground the output of the Meanwell, the LPS-1, or both?

To get the full advantage of using the FS105/FS108 you need to ground the output of the LSP-1 (or any other power supply you use). Grounding the INPUT to the LPS-1 will not make any difference.  You can do it if you want to, but it will not improve anything in this scenario.

John S.

12 minutes ago, rickca said:

You could use a tX-USBhubEX instead of the tX-USBexp.  SOtM used to make a tX-USB which I think was a PCI card.  You can read about the differences between tX-USBexp and tX-USB in the FAQ on this page

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/tx-usbexp/#toggle-id-1

Thanks @rickca I will check this out. My Server has the older tx-usb which is indeed a PCI card, I'm considering the newer version combined with one of the sCLK boards....

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

50 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

John S.

I have to admit I am not 100% clear as to which output this refers to.  Let’s say I can interpret this in a couple of different ways.  Would it be too much to ask for a sketch, diagram or maybe photograph to make sure this is clear?  

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

To get the full advantage of using the FS105/FS108 you need to ground the output of the LSP-1 (or any other power supply you use). Grounding the INPUT to the LPS-1 will not make any difference.  You can do it if you want to, but it will not improve anything in this scenario.

John S.

Ahhh, OK.

My switch is the Zyxel GS108Bv3, but it has been modified by SOtM to accept an sCLK-EX input, and better regulators and capacitor.

It remains to be seen if the SQ of my configuration will improve with this technique, but my terminal blocks and AC plug are on order, and thanks to Amazon Prime should be here Wednesday. Seems like a fun tweak to try!

32 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

John S.

I grounded the output of the meanwell and it made a difference listening to Barbara Streisand screaming.  Then I moved the adapters to ground only the output of the LPS-1 and Barbara was not listenable.  Adapters are now back on the meanwell.  Perhaps I should make more adapters and ground both Meanwell and LPS-1 ?

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The clocking part of this is a bit unknown at this point. I am currently working on the analysis of this, which means I have to build some of my own test equipment.

At this point I'm not ready to give full blown details on this, but preliminary results are indicating that clocking of any data stream coming into a digital device brings along the phase noise of the clock used to produce that stream. Packet systems such as Ethernet and USB complicate this dramatically because the data comes in packets, in between the packets there is no data to pass clock phase noise. Note that phase noise is another way to look at jitter, I'm NOT talking about amplitude noise here.

The implication of this is that putting a very low phase noise clock on the last switch is not sufficient. The effect of the phase noise of whatever else is going into the switch also makes its way into the clocking of the switch. So just improving the local clock helps, but is not all there is to this. Ideally you should get rid of the clock influence from other sources as well.

Please don't ask for details about this, I have a LOT more research to do before I'm willing get into more detail.

John S.

Very good, thanks John.  This supports the findings on the simplifying of the audio stream and making that path as short as possible with good clocking throughout the stream.  As we have conjectured and Roy has tested, against trifecta, it would appear that regardless of how one tries to clean the audio stream outside the server, that some influence from poor clocking in the server has an effect on SQ.  Thus, addressing the poor clocking on the mobo with the sCLK-EX has a great effect on final SQ.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 10/15/2017 at 11:34 AM, austinpop said:

The dCS network bridge is intriguing on that score, as it is priced at a point comparable to what I've eventually spent on my trifecta medley.

Another interesting option is the Bricasti M5 Network Player ($2400).  I particularly like that it works with A+ V3 like the Sonore streamers.  A+ is important to me for its excellent Qobuz/TIDAL integration.  The M5 also has an integrated LPS and is Roon Ready.

3 hours ago, d_elm said:

I grounded the output of the meanwell and it made a difference listening to Barbara Streisand screaming.  Then I moved the adapters to ground only the output of the LPS-1 and Barbara was not listenable.  Adapters are now back on the meanwell.  Perhaps I should make more adapters and ground both Meanwell and LPS-1 ?

Or you can go back to "The Way We Were."

:D

8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I grounded the output of the meanwell and it made a difference listening to Barbara Streisand screaming.

How about Celine Dion?