IGNORED

Inexpensive small-footprint USB audio computer speakers

I am looking for small, decent speakers for my Mac for streaming music and movies. I prefer USB audio like my old 1st-gen SoundSticks. At a price under $300 the only speakers I see that offer USB audio are the Audioengine A2+ speakers.

I know that if I consider other speakers with a DAC (or passive speakers with a DAC/amp) I'd be opening up a huge can of worms with a much larger available pool of choices. But if I just want a simple speaker solution with integrated USB, are there any other recommended choices at that price point?

If not, I see that Presonus has a line of Ceres speakers that also include Bluetooth, in 3.5" and 4.5" woofer sizes. The 3.5" model is slightly bigger than the A2+ but has slightly higher specs (plus Bluetooth) while being half the price - does anyone know anything about this speaker?

I am looking for small, decent speakers for my Mac for streaming music and movies. I prefer USB audio like my old 1st-gen SoundSticks. At a price under $300 the only speakers I see that offer USB audio are the Audioengine A2+ speakers.

I know that if I consider other speakers with a DAC (or passive speakers with a DAC/amp) I'd be opening up a huge can of worms with a much larger available pool of choices. But if I just want a simple speaker solution with integrated USB, are there any other recommended choices at that price point?

If not, I see that Presonus has a line of Ceres speakers that also include Bluetooth, in 3.5" and 4.5" woofer sizes. The 3.5" model is slightly bigger than the A2+ but has slightly higher specs (plus Bluetooth) while being half the price - does anyone know anything about this speaker?

These are getting great reviews and are on sale. i have not auditioned them yet:

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15PM-Powered-Monitor-Black/dp/B01A7J534G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482117346&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+powered

Thanks. Those look interesting except (a) they're relatively big for my desk (7x8 footprint compared to 4x6 for the A2+, and they look huge in those amazon user pics) and they also bust my $300 budget. Still, they're worth considering if I don't go for the Audioengines.

I have a pair of older Audioengine A2's. I also have a pair of passive Klipsch bookshelf speakers, for which I paid about $275 new, and which I run with a NAD C 316BEE integrated amp. I also used to own a pair of B&W MM-1 powered desktop speakers ($499). Of those three, the Audioengines win hands down.

I have a pair of older Audioengine A2's. I also have a pair of passive Klipsch bookshelf speakers, for which I paid about $275 new, and which I run with a NAD C 316BEE integrated amp. I also used to own a pair of B&W MM-1 powered desktop speakers ($499). Of those three, the Audioengines win hands down.

Interesting, thanks. Generally I prefer the simplest, smallest solution, but I prefer the easiness of dealing with USB audio. I'm just a little surprised that no one else is really playing at that price level. The main alternative I've found is something like the slightly larger Presonus Ceres 3.5BT (Bluetooth built-in in addition to RCA and 1/4-inch) for $125, plus a USB DAC. Lots of convenience in that package but no reviews for it I've seen, which makes me nervous despite owning a Presonus monitor for music production.

Peachtree is launching a new entry into this market this spring. They're using the crowdfunding approach. Think of the Audioengines on steroids with 50wpc built-in amps, digital and analog connectivity, and remote-controlled volume and EQ. If you can hold out for a few months, this could be the ticket:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m24-powered-speakers-from-peachtree-audio-bluetooth-usb#/

For really near-field listening, i.e. a desktop, I'm looking for small coaxial drivers. Best coherency with such. I have a pair of AudioEngine P4 in bamboo, but I had to move them off my computer desk (and into the workshop) when I set up my 27" iMac, as my computer desk is not wide enough. Something the size of the A2 would work, but I'd rather find some other brand at this point. Again, a really small coax--or some ribbons--would be cool.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Looking here too, the Emotiva 4S are on my list. Haven't heard them but they are well reviewed and have a return policy. Anyone have these or heard them? https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-4s

I have the Airmotiv 4s as part of a computer desktop audio rig. At $300/pair they are hands-down among the best bang/buck audio investments I've ever made. Not waxing hyperbolic here - my "somewhat modest" home stereo setup includes a Creek 5350SE out to Nola Boxers on Dynaudio Stand 4's with a REL R-328 sub filling in <= 44Hz. That's my reference speaker setup. The Airmotiv 4s brings similar giant-killing performance to the desktop though obviously at a smaller scale.

I also have the Audioengine A2+. They were my first desktop speaker investment after a venerable Klipsch 2.1 setup finally died. For me the A2+ are over-hyped and over-priced given their performance. Yes they have a small footprint and some 'convenient' features, but the sound quality is not fair value given their price.

If the OP can make the 4s fit in his desktop listening space, I think they'll be equally pleased.

I have the Airmotiv 4s as part of a computer desktop audio rig. At $300/pair they are hands-down among the best bang/buck audio investments I've ever made. Not waxing hyperbolic here - my "somewhat modest" home stereo setup includes a Creek 5350SE out to Nola Boxers on Dynaudio Stand 4's with a REL R-328 sub filling in <= 44Hz. That's my reference speaker setup. The Airmotiv 4s brings similar giant-killing performance to the desktop though obviously at a smaller scale.

I also have the Audioengine A2+. They were my first desktop speaker investment after a venerable Klipsch 2.1 setup finally died. For me the A2+ are over-hyped and over-priced given their performance. Yes they have a small footprint and some 'convenient' features, but the sound quality is not fair value given their price.

If the OP can make the 4s fit in his desktop listening space, I think they'll be equally pleased.

Thanks Usery, good info. The ribbon was my main concern they seem to turn out either very right or very wrong...sounds like this application is the former.

if the OP is looking for USB out the Schmitt Fulla 2 may be a consideration for the emotivas or other monitors without an included dac. It adds a usb dac, accessible/convenient volume control and headphone amp for another $99.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Archimago = R E A L Z O D I A K

some ribbons--would be cool.

Magnepan makes some...

BTW, the airmotiv does not have a ribbon tweeter - it just looks .. ah... ribbony

the woofer is only 4.5" yet it is praised for its bass performance (makes me wonder if it doesn't use a very long throw woofer)

many reviews on Amazon and almost all gave it a 5 - the lowest review was a 4 (!)

Magnepan makes some...

BTW, the airmotiv does not have a ribbon tweeter - it just looks .. ah... ribbony

the woofer is only 4.5" yet it is praised for its bass performance (makes me wonder if it doesn't use a very long throw woofer)

many reviews on Amazon and almost all gave it a 5 - the lowest review was a 4 (!)

They are claiming - One 26 x 32 mm Airmotiv high-frequency folded-ribbon transducer

What am I missing or what is this?

Archimago = R E A L Z O D I A K

I guess the definition of ribbon is... um.. flexible. Look at the pleats - it is said to "squeeze" air/sound out from in between each pleat. That would give very wide dispersion - even wider than a ...ah, um... long narrow sheet that vibrates... like a ribbon.

I do wonder about phase coherence of the wavefront tho...

I do wonder about phase coherence of the wavefront tho...

I haven't measured for that, nor would I necessarily. As near-field active monitors the 4s are hard to beat at their spec/performance/price-point ratio - even by active monitors at >> the 4s price, I'm guessing.

But back to the OP's original request (pardon the digression on the 4s). Sounds like you're already looking at Presonus' Ceres line, from which I too was close to purchasing when comparing BT-capable desktop speakers. I researched Presonus, Klipsch, Wren, Marshall, Sony and Audioengine. Audioengine was still in the running though I wasn't satisfied with my A2+ performance/price ratio. Then an Amazon encounter with a company founder soured me completely on Audioengine (I will no longer buy their products - PM me if you'd like the details). For portability I ended up going with the Sony SRS-X7 all-in-one and tabled the desktop search for a while ... glad I did because I ended up with the Airmotiv 4s.

If I were doing it again (which I might yet for another desktop rig), I'd probly go with the Presonus Ceres C4.5BT and skip the USB-in.

I opted for the A2+ in my setup as space was a limiting factor, and for the money, I think they are an excellent speaker. The weak point in their design, in my opinion, is the rubber bottom, which I quickly removed and setup with hard mounted wooden cones. The optional rubber base, which is a good idea for space savings, it not an ideal mounting, being rubber, it just is the wrong way to mount a audiophile speaker. I found an aftermarket wooden base the was a bit oversized, but provided the ability to set the speakers pointing at the correct angle, and enough surface where I could place the base on metal points. So in the end, the A2+ is mounted on wooden footers, coupled to the wooden base, which is itself coupled to the desk using metal footers, which have a sharp point, allowing them to couple to the desk. The sound before and after was night and day, imaging improved, bass improved, soundstage and instrument locations became much better defined. Overall, this way of mounting corrected some of the speakers shortcomings.

1UXsK6.jpg

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

I opted for the A2+ in my setup as space was a limiting factor, and for the money, I think they are an excellent speaker. The weak point in their design, in my opinion, is the rubber bottom, which I quickly removed and setup with hard mounted wooden cones. The optional rubber base, which is a good idea for space savings, it not an ideal mounting, being rubber, it just is the wrong way to mount a audiophile speaker. I found an aftermarket wooden base the was a bit oversized, but provided the ability to set the speakers pointing at the correct angle, and enough surface where I could place the base on metal points. So in the end, the A2+ is mounted on wooden footers, coupled to the wooden base, which is itself coupled to the desk using metal footers, which have a sharp point, allowing them to couple to the desk. The sound before and after was night and day, imaging improved, bass improved, soundstage and instrument locations became much better defined. Overall, this way of mounting corrected some of the speakers shortcomings.

1UXsK6.jpg

Seems like a rather elaborate setup for a $200 pair of speakers, but you claim a significant improvement in SQ. I participate in this forum to try to learn about the hobby, and I still think I know comparatively little.

I have a pair of A2's. What is it about mounting speakers on a vibration-isolating material like foam rubber that degrades the sound, as opposed to "coupling" them to hard materials like wood? Does the wood resonate to enhance the bass?

If you look at almost any high end speaker, they are all rigidly mounted, on some sort of cone, allowing them to couple to the floor underneath. Allowing a speaker to move, or have play in their mounting, just degrades the ability of

the speaker to perform at it's best. Speakers do not need to be isolated, they need to not move when playing. The setup may look elaborate, but were talking about $50-$75 worth of tweaks that improve the speaker greatly.

Seems like a rather elaborate setup for a $200 pair of speakers, but you claim a significant improvement in SQ. I participate in this forum to try to learn about the hobby, and I still think I know comparatively little.

I have a pair of A2's. What is it about mounting speakers on a vibration-isolating material like foam rubber that degrades the sound, as opposed to "coupling" them to hard materials like wood?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

when the speaker box moves, it can alter* the sound of the cones (which are supposed to move and make the air move)

* this is a type of modulation of the signal; whether it is a large enough effect to be heard is always a question

you can avoid or minimize this if you buy a speaker that uses a thin ribbon or better a plasma as a driver