IGNORED

John's life changes

John: Your post has "haunted" me for several days now, and I just can't get it out of my head. The easy response is one of "I really feel for you and wish you the best in this new life." There is also the "but by the grace of god, that could be me" response. And there is the feeling that in the America of old, this wouldn't have happened to someone in your situation.

But there are deeper questions like:

1) Community. "Why did John post this here? Is this the community he feels closest to?" That would say really good things about what Chris has built here on CA, but begs questions about the "non-virtual" or real communities we live in and the support they give us.

2) Safety-Net. The are the questions about what "safety net" does our society today offer us, and just how subject are any of us to getting tossed in the street after many, many years of dedicated work. I wish I could say I felt our recent election decreased the likelihood of outcomes like yours, but I fear the exact opposite.

3) Gig-Economy. There is good news in the work you ae doing with UpTone and the reality is that we may all have to get used to a life that looks more like the "gig economy" our kids are growing up in (i.e. drive for Uber, crash at Airbnb, work for several startups at once, etc.). That is much, much harder for those who have held just one or two jobs for 30 years or more, but it may actually be healthier for us and for the overall economy. But, it also means, as Thomas Friedman writes in his newest book, we now have no choice but to be lifelong learners, constantly re-educating ourselves to fit a rapidly changing world.

4) Home-Grown Companies. I think there is also good news in the simple existence of many of the companies that are active here on CA, companies like CA itself, like UpTone, Sonore, iFi (for an England/Brexit example), Magnepan, PS Audio, Ayre Acoustics, Schiit Audio, Magico, and many, many others that are home-grown small businesses, dedicated to giving us great products and great customer service while combining the latest of digital design tools and old-fashioned handiwork and craftsmanship. Having a lot more of those and a lot fewer giant brands would be just fine with me. Even companies like Oppo that cross two worlds are interesting in that regard.

5) Choices. Lastly, we need to be thoughtful about whom we do business with. I must admit that I really enjoy doing business with people like John, Alex, Jesus, Jussi, the team at Roon, and others who I have gotten to know through CA and from whom I want to buy products not only because they make great products, but because they are great people.

John: I know these thoughts will continue to haunt me, but I sure hope that you remain a strong contributing member of this community and that we, in turn, continue to support you in your future endeavours. Best of luck to you!

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Best of luck John, in your move to Washington. Hugely appreciated your expertise these past few months - the step up in sound quality has been nothing short of astronomical. Looking forward to your full-time return to audio products but in the meantime wishing you and your wife a smooth transition to Washington.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your heartfelt replys, I really appreciate it.

I'm actually very excited about this. It came as a shock, but it is actually a very good thing. We just had a meeting with our general manager who said it wasn't JUST getting rid of the most expensive employees, it was actually cutting headcount in order to be more profitable, if he didn't do that the division would not meet its corporate goals, and if that happened too many quarters in a row, the division would be sold.

So that means everybody left who were already giving 112%, have to work even harder. I'm glad I got out!

With a lot of money in the 401K the long term situation looks really good, the only concern I had was paying for everything over the next 7-8 months. I have now liquidated all my existing stock and available options and have come up with a large chunk of cash that should be plenty to support all the activities that are going to have to happen in the next months, so I'm feeling very good about that. (it is really strange to see that many digits in the checking account!)

The only bit of concern right now is the daunting task of packing up the house, I have come up with a plan that should allow us to do it in 1 to 1.5 months. This sounded impossible when I first started working it out, but then I realized, I don't have to go into work every day! It's going to take some time to get used to that. (although the one who REALLY has to get used to it is my wife!)

It's actually much less daunting since I cleaned out the lab and the "office" bedrooms several months ago, I was thinking this was going to make things much more usable for the long run in this house, well it wasn't very long, but it is going to make the packing task much easier.

Friday our division took us all out to lunch and to the new Star Wars movie, so it gave those of us leaving some time to talk with the rest of the people and give a little bit of closure to things.

My boss was really glad to know I was retiring and had things worked out already, this was his first time having to lay anybody off and he was really upset about it. I never saw him smile so much as when I told him I was excited about the change.

Long term this is going to be lots of fun and I'm going to really enjoy "retirement", but it is going to take some work to get there.

Again, thanks all for the well wishes, it really means a lot to me.

John S.

Great to have some news, John, and that spirits are up.

Keep it up!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Best of wishes John. Tough holiday season. We downsized a bit 4 years ago, so I feel your moving pains.

I always look at change as an opportunity, and it appears you are too. Having more time to pursue a passion, and perhaps slow down enough to have fun, can be a blessing in itself.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

You go, fella!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It is finished!

Yesterday was my last day. I got to sleep in today.

Now to get cracking and get some projects finished before the lab gets packed.

Liberation!

Been working most of the past two days on one of your circuits as well :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

A bit behind the times here but I want to thank you for your contributions to audio tech which have improved our musical experience.

Best of luck in the year to come in this state which I call home, Washington.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

• 2 weeks later...
Never ceases to amaze me how companies layoff still-productive, smart employees after years of good service.

Yes, you can write it up to "that's just how the system works".

I'd say it's more of a symptom that the system has something seriously wrong with it.

+1

Well said....

Welcome to the Evergreen state. I'll take a stab and guess that you are settling on the west side? As in the west side of the the state, not the west side of Seattle. I live in Walla Walla where if you haven't moved here to make wine, you are probably a retiring Californian.

Yep retiring Californian. Definitely the west side, I have had it with years of drought, I am ready for water!

I just met with some financial people and worked out how to use the 401K money to provide for us for the rest of our lives. One phone call this morning and it all goes into effect.

I'm meeting with Alex for a few days, I have some prototypes we are going to listen to (I can't tell you what they are!), then we are going to discuss plans for future products. I can come up with ideas for new products much faster than we can actually make them work!

Then a day home to wash clothes and we are off to Washington to look at communities and houses. Then comes the hard part, packing up the house, that's the daunting part.

This is starting to get "real".

John S.

I just got back from several days with Alex. I got to sleep in the new UPF (UpTone Production Facility). It is a little strange sleeping next to 15 or so JS-2s looking at me all night!

We did a LOT (days) of testing new products and working out high level details of brand new products (ie brainstorming), After I get settled in the new lab, there are going to be a lot of fun thing going on.

I get to sleep in my own bed (the Ahhhh! bed) for two nights, then it is out on the road again, up to Washington to check out communities and houses.

The minute we get back we start packing!!!!

John S.

I just got back from several days with Alex. I got to sleep in the new UPF (UpTone Production Facility). It is a little strange sleeping next to 15 or so JS-2s looking at me all night!

Well it's not as if I made you sleep on the ping-pong table with the JS-2s...

It was indeed a fun and productive few days. My only regret is that we spent so much time rotating through tests with devices that we did not take much time at all to just sit and enjoy some different tunes all the way through. I am afraid that I once again tortured John with mostly the same 3-5 tracks (Louis Armstrong, Bill Evans, Brian Bromberg, and just a very few others).

I'll miss being able to drive to John's in the Bay Area--and his visits here. Our giant, needy, goofy dog seems to miss him already!

Can't wait for he and his wife to complete their big relocation process. As John said, we have multiple exciting products planned that we know will be right up the alley of what all you CA'ers enjoy.

One might actually make it out very soon (at last), the others will be post his geographic transplant.

Thanks to all who have posted in support. This is going to be a wonderful change for John and his wife. And the audio community is going to be a major beneficiary as he will eventually have a few hours per day as opposed to a few evenings per week for design work on all sorts of things.

Even other audio engineers may benefit as John has designed on paper several groundbreaking pieces of test equipment that will perform vitally important tests--for which either no such gear exists at all, or exists only in big $80K multipurpose machines. As discussed, these could be offered very affordably. So UpTone could end up with a small Test Instrument Division. ;)

So much to look forward to. Our special, long-term friendship and business association has given so much purpose and energy to my life. I am thankful and grateful.

Best,

--Alex C.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Best wishes Mr Swenson. I went through a major life altering event a few years ago (the big D) and at first things looked dire indeed, especially financially. It is amazing how much we can simplify in our lives and yet still enjoy a high living standard. Of course there were some sacrifices (I used to buy around $200-$300 worth of music each month) but overall I feel my life is still fine. I will say the one constant in my life that has always given me joy and comfort is my music. Though I would never wish this experience on anyone, it has made me keenly aware of the things in my life in must be grateful for. I always remind myself that no matter how bad things get, by virtue of being fortunate enough to be living in this great country, my life is far better then many many others suffering in this world.

I have no doubt Mr Swenson that you will continue to thrive and quickly recover from this.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Sorry to see this news, and glad to hear you're in a good place. As for Washington/Seattle, yeah housing is crazy here but not Cali-crazy. When you're in Seattle I'd like to buy you a beer! You've made my systems sing...

As for your future plans (other than Uptone taking over audio power), I wonder if the world wouldn't benefit from more young engineers who understand this power noise-feedback stuff you know so much about. Makes me wish I were a strapping young EE looking for an internship with the master!

Cheers and best wishes!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Sorry to see this news, and glad to hear you're in a good place. As for Washington/Seattle, yeah housing is crazy here but not Cali-crazy. When you're in Seattle I'd like to buy you a beer! You've made my systems sing...

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256