IGNORED

John's life changes

I thought I'd let you all in on what is happening in my life these days.

I have been layed off from my job of 33 years, this is precipitating same major changes. I'm currently living in Silicon Valley with a very large mortgage, I'm several years away from getting social security so have to find other means to "make ends meet". I have a lot of money in my 401K, but I can't touch it yet.

After a lot of hard thought I have decided to not seek another "main" job (almost impossible at this point in my life) and just continue with the audio stuff. But this is not going to pay for the mortgage and high cost of living in silicon valley. So I am going to have to sell the house and move to a less expensive place to live.

My wife and I have decided to move to Washington state, we both really like the area (no family there, we just like it a lot) and if you stay away from Seattle or Portland the hosing prices are very low (at least by silicon valley standards). So it looks like we can sell the house, pay off the mortgage and use the rest to buy a really nice house in Washington state.

Unfortunately this is not going to be easy, there is a LOT of work to do to get the house packed up, fixed up and sold. And this has to be done pretty quickly so the mortgage gets paid off before the severance pay runs out. We are going to be spending several months out of the house while it is being fixed up and sold (probably at an airbnb in Washington). This is all going to take a lot of cash, I have been liquidating all my stock and everything else I can find and with what I make from Alex and Jesus I should have enough cash to make this all work.

For a large part of this time all my lab stuff and my stereo system is going to be in storage so I won't be able to do a lot of audio stuff, so new product development is going to have to be on hold until things get all setup in the new house.

During the first part of this process I'm going to be very busy (and exhausted) so I won't be able to hang out much around here. But once we get in the airbnb I'll have lots of time to hang out here.

By the time we get a new house and it all setup I'll be old enough to start using the 401K, so we will be in a very comfortable place then and I'll be able to come out with new products much faster. But it is going to take a lot of time, work and money to get there.

John S.

Sorry to hear about your job. Been there & done that, as they say. Sounds like you will be in good shape after a short period of nail biting & frustration. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

You'll be just fine. You will probably look back and thank them for letting you go. Good luck on the move.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Hi John,

Having been through this as well (when I was much younger), I decided to not let it happen to me again so when I was 49 my wife and I kissed corporate slavery goodbye and moved to Florida. We went into real estate sales together and had a great run. We now live in the foothills north of Atlanta and love it.

I know it is a cliche but as was said above you will look back on this as probably the best thing that ever happened to you. Getting thru the next year will be hard but it sounds like you have the right outlook.

Every person in this hobby owes you a massive debt of gratitude whether they know it or not.

We will miss you here and will await your return and all the new products that are floating around in your mind as well.

It sounds like you have a plan so just execute it. It may be prudent to get some professional financial planning advice to make sure you are not missing something. Perhaps your former employer could persuaded to chip in for it.

All my best,

Bob Flood

Economic forces at work.

I worked for the semiconductor industry in Phoenix throughout the '80's. I was laid off. Then I was hired by the supercomputer industry in Wisconsin and worked at that throughout the '90's. I was laid off. I took three years off to get certified to teach science, after 5 years I was laid off because of enrollment declines. I got another teaching job in the Madison area and I was able to work at that in relative security for 10 years until I decided to retire.

I can say one thing for certain, in all cases, I was in a better place after the lay offs. Happier, more secure in who I really am. When one door closes behind you another opens in front.

Good luck to you.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hey John,

Count me among the many who wish you well.

This must be very tough to deal with. But, if you get back even half of all the good will you've shown to so many of us on this forum (and elsewhere I suspect) then there will be good things to come.

Here's hoping they come for you very soon. You deserve it.

Joel

John,

Thank you so very much for all the hard work and care for this community. Looking forward to seeing online soon, perhaps from the AirBnB place. (nb. chose a place with a Internet connection).

Best wishes with the move.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Good luck on your move. I suspect we will all benefit from this life change.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

Some hard news there, John, but it's good you already have a plan. Moving from S.V. looks like a sound decision because of the rising costs of living there.

The audio endeavours are working well, so it's great you'd like to continue those.

All the best with the move,

Chin up and major Respect!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

The audio endeavours are working well, so it's great you'd like to continue those.

Indeed, we have some BIG plans for the future.

But despite John saying no new projects for a while, there is one we have been working hard on all year that should make it into production before he packs up his test gear.

It's awesome and another game-changer--especially when powered by the UltraCap LPS-1!

We promise to tell all as soon as we are ready. :)

John,

I know from personal experience how dispiriting it is to be laid off after decades of corporate life. However, I also know that you can't keep good people down.

You are so fortunate to have this alternate career at Uptone, pursuing something you clearly have a passion for and love. And the best thing about your own business is NO BOSSES. Even if @Superdad thinks he's your boss. Ha!

Best of luck with your move, and the next chapter of your life. You are a true treasure here on CA, and we hope you come back and hang out once you are settled in your new location.

Cheers!

But despite John saying no new projects for a while, there is one we have been working hard on all year that should make it into production before he packs up his test gear.

It's awesome and another game-changer--especially when powered by the UltraCap LPS-1!

Very, very, good news.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Oh great. And I just went and insulted you in my last post. :) Guess I'll mysteriously slip ito the end of the preorder queue, won't I.

Unfortunately, this is a sign of the times, whereby older workers are targeted so that younger, lower cost workers can be hired.

The same thing happened to me, after working for over 30 yrs. at a well known semiconductor company here on the East coast.

But everything worked out well for me and you realize how easy it is to reduce your living expenses and still enjoy our hobbies.

Good luck John, and we look forward to more outstanding products from Uptone.

John,

Sorry to hear of your forced life changes. Hopefully, it will evolve into the "one door closing, another one opening" variety and it sounds like you're going into it with that attitude. As a life-long resident of Washington State, if there's any way I can help you out in your transition, don't hesitate to let me know.

I thought I'd let you all in on what is happening in my life these days.

I have been layed off from my job of 33 years, this is precipitating same major changes. I'm currently living in Silicon Valley with a very large mortgage, I'm several years away from getting social security so have to find other means to "make ends meet". I have a lot of money in my 401K, but I can't touch it yet.

After a lot of hard thought I have decided to not seek another "main" job (almost impossible at this point in my life) and just continue with the audio stuff. But this is not going to pay for the mortgage and high cost of living in silicon valley. So I am going to have to sell the house and move to a less expensive place to live.

My wife and I have decided to move to Washington state, we both really like the area (no family there, we just like it a lot) and if you stay away from Seattle or Portland the hosing prices are very low (at least by silicon valley standards). So it looks like we can sell the house, pay off the mortgage and use the rest to buy a really nice house in Washington state.

Unfortunately this is not going to be easy, there is a LOT of work to do to get the house packed up, fixed up and sold. And this has to be done pretty quickly so the mortgage gets paid off before the severance pay runs out. We are going to be spending several months out of the house while it is being fixed up and sold (probably at an airbnb in Washington). This is all going to take a lot of cash, I have been liquidating all my stock and everything else I can find and with what I make from Alex and Jesus I should have enough cash to make this all work.

For a large part of this time all my lab stuff and my stereo system is going to be in storage so I won't be able to do a lot of audio stuff, so new product development is going to have to be on hold until things get all setup in the new house.

During the first part of this process I'm going to be very busy (and exhausted) so I won't be able to hang out much around here. But once we get in the airbnb I'll have lots of time to hang out here.

By the time we get a new house and it all setup I'll be old enough to start using the 401K, so we will be in a very comfortable place then and I'll be able to come out with new products much faster. But it is going to take a lot of time, work and money to get there.

John S.

Wishing you all the best luck John with your next steps. Your contribution of your valuable time and expertise on these forums is a real example of how business can be done in what is generally a greedy world. We are all looking forward hearing from you soon and to the great products coming down the pipeline when you get set up at your new base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Way Cool Alex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

John:

I join the sentiments expressed by others on this thread and add my warmest wishes for a successful implementation of the 'retirement' plan that you have described.

Like many others, I have learned much from you from way back on the SlimDevices forums and your posts here. And I have much appreciated the results of your brilliant designs, from the REGEN to the microRendu and now the LPS-1. Your audio work has brought much enjoyment to so many of us. I look forward to more breakthroughs. . . Especially after Alex's recent hints!

Warmest regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.