IGNORED

JS-2 for Mac Mini needed if using LPS-1 and microRendu to feed USB dac???

Been trying to figure/think something out and looking to see if anyone has any feedback on this...

Suppose you have nice Mac Mini (a powerful i5 or i7, 8 or 16GB memory, internal SSD) and your using Roon or possibly HQ Player with Roon on it and your considering a Sonore Micro Rendu powered by a LPS-1. This would facilitate getting the Mac mini away from the equipment rack and HiFi (analog and the DAC/digital gear) gear on it . . . moved to the other end of the room or maybe even another room - which I would think is a good thing. Run some good Ethernet cable from mac mini to LPS1/microRendu (via router/switch powered by upgraded power supply - use some Baaske Ethernet isolators as needed) which would sit on or near the equipment rack.

So, would a JS-2 to power the Mac Mini make a worthwhile improvement to the set-up? (in general sound wise - I realize we are talking in generalities and there are a number of other possible factors going on here which may influence things). The one benefit I could think is that assuming music library storage is on a external drive connected to the mini, it could be powered from the JS-2. But how much do those benefits (sound wise) make thier way through the Ethernet cable to the LPS1 powered microrendu???

Has anyone tried this type of set-up (JS-2 powered mac mini with microRendu/LPS1)???

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Been trying to figure/think something out and looking to see if anyone has any feedback on this...

Suppose you have nice Mac Mini (a powerful i5 or i7, 8 or 16GB memory, internal SSD) and your using Roon or possibly HQ Player with Roon on it and your considering a Sonore Micro Rendu powered by a LPS-1. This would facilitate getting the Mac mini away from the equipment rack and HiFi (analog and the DAC/digital gear) gear on it . . . moved to the other end of the room or maybe even another room - which I would think is a good thing. Run some good Ethernet cable from mac mini to LPS1/microRendu (via router/switch powered by upgraded power supply - use some Baaske Ethernet isolators as needed) which would sit on or near the equipment rack.

So, would a JS-2 to power the Mac Mini make a worthwhile improvement to the set-up? (in general sound wise - I realize we are talking in generalities and there are a number of other possible factors going on here which may influence things). The one benefit I could think is that assuming music library storage is on a external drive connected to the mini, it could be powered from the JS-2. But how much do those benefits (sound wise) make thier way through the Ethernet cable to the LPS1 powered microrendu???

Has anyone tried this type of set-up (JS-2 powered mac mini with microRendu/LPS1)???

Exactly the setup I am using .....Mac mini powered by JS2 - runs HQ Player. Urendu in NAA mode powered by LPS1. I have my music on Synology NAS running RoonServer....sounds pretty damn fine, and is still currently beating my Linn Klimax DS/2 streamer.....used as a comparison

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Hi Rich (man, I owe you a phone call!):

Yes, I often use the exact set-up that you describe, though when I use the microRendu as NAA, I am running HQ Player on my desktop i7 27" 5K iMac. Obviously no JS-2 on the iMac.

And while some may argue that the HQP machine, its, drives, etc. need clean power, etc., I agree with you that a nicely isolated network connection, to an LPS-1 powered (100% isolation/not part of system leakage loop) microRendu sounds awesome and I doubt that running the Mac mini host from a JS-2 will have much difference (says the person making his living building and selling JS-2s!).

Certainly there is still the fact that the PWM fan controller in the mini is awful, and the SMPS in it is not a great thing. But if Ethernet is the computer's only connection to the music system, and the computer is not part of any of the rest of the audio system's "leakage loops," then it should not matter.

Of course this is precisely why the UltraCap LPS-1 has such an outsized, smack-you-in-the-face positive difference for microRendu users: It allows the microRendu to fully deliver on its promise of isolation.

I am so stoked that the microRendu won CA's product of the year. Guess I'd best call Jesus about his restocking LPS-1 units to bundle for mR buyers... ;)

Ciao,

--Alex C.

P.S. Just finished flashing and testing another 72 boards for our last shipping batch of the year. By tomorrow afternoon I'll be changing the web site to start promising new orders to ship by January 12th. Closing for the holidays after this current batch ships.

IMG_1072.JPG

Thanks for the info Alex and EVo...

Anyone else with any further thoughts???

Alex, I know you are a busy guy these days... I have my hands full with various projects as well. Would be good to hear from you i when you get a chance to call sometime.

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Hi

I just upgraded my 2011 mini 8 gb ram, 2.0 qhz i7 with all the UpTone goodies (MMF and JS-2) to a 2012 16 gb ram, 2.6 ghz i7 - the Holly Grail of minis :). I also use a FMC (fiberethernet) between my mini and Rednet 16 R.

Fist of there is a big difference using MMF and JS-2 even when using ethernet / FMC compared to a original mini with original power supply. The original mini sounds "greyish" / less dynamic than the UpTone upgraded mini.

It was easy to compare as I boot with a SD card. It took less than 10 sec to hear the 2011 mini with UpTone goodies was better than a original 2012 mini with SD boot and ethernet to Rednet 16 R.

The same night I moved the MMF and JS-2 over to my 2012! :) and the 2012 mini took sq a notch further.

I highly recommend the MMF/JS-2 even when you are using ethernet. I does make a big difference.

Tommy

I simplified my system to a GISO ethernet isolator before the microRendu, and the Spectacular LPS-1 between the, computer also, linear PSU. A single, short Curious USB cable completes the system.

Both the microRendu, and the Bryston BDA3 "clean" the USB stream, so I was unable to find benefit with additional inline units. The W4S unit is going to the office system.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

• 3 weeks later...
Exactly the setup I am using .....Mac mini powered by JS2 - runs HQ Player. Urendu in NAA mode powered by LPS1. I have my music on Synology NAS running RoonServer....sounds pretty damn fine, and is still currently beating my Linn Klimax DS/2 streamer.....used as a comparison

How are you powering the LPS-1? The JS-2 or the Meanwell?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics