IGNORED

Oppo Adds Multichannel DSD 128 to New UDP-203 Player

I got a link today for preorder.

The only problem was that it is for US citizens only :(

Looks like the pre-order link by email was only to people who signed up for updates.

It says there are initially limited quantities of the 203 available.

I expect the availability to be broader later on when Oppo fully ramps up production.

Looks like they've gone with a different DAC too - will be interesting to hear people's impressions of how the sound differs from the Sabre DAC in the current 105 line. Hard to tell if they feel the new DAC sounds better, or if they just switched to it because it has enhanced multichannel capabilities.

Looks like they've gone with a different DAC too - will be interesting to hear people's impressions of how the sound differs from the Sabre DAC in the current 105 line. Hard to tell if they feel the new DAC sounds better, or if they just switched to it because it has enhanced multichannel capabilities.

According to a message on Facebook, Oppo says the 105 has better sound quality than the 203.

According to a message on Facebook, Oppo says the 105 has better sound quality than the 203.

Thanks for the info! I guess that makes sense given the new machine's "03" model number - I guess we should be comparing the new DAC with the one in the 103, not the 105.

The other thing to remember is that the goals of the 203 and 205 are to add 4K Video and to keep the price within $100 of the current models. Oppo describes them as being targeted at "videophiles". So significant audio upgrades may end up in later models vs. this generation.

Oppo Digital has announced their new UDP-203 disc player which includes support for 4K Video, HD-10 HDR and upgradability to Dolby Video.

The new player also adds Stereo and Multichannel DSD 128 playback. Price will be $549 - preorders start soon.

Can you confirm this? I thought it was Stereo DSD up to 128 but Multichannel is still DSD64.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Thanks for the info! I guess that makes sense given the new machine's "03" model number - I guess we should be comparing the new DAC with the one in the 103, not the 105.
Hopefully the change from "10x" to "20x" will mean that gapless playback will be fully supported out of the box (& not via some future firmware update that never comes).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

It specs sheet it says:

"It also directly plays Direct-Stream Digital audio files in stereo DSD64/128 or multi-channel DSD64."

There is nowhere said that is should do gapless, so I'am afraid it don't. Even new Oppo Sonica DAC it's NOT going to do gapless out of box:

" Will it indeed stream DSD files gapless over ethernet from a networked PC/NAS?

2. The Sonic DAC will not support gapless playback out of box. This is something that we hope we can add in a future firmware release in the future."