Brave New World! So how does it sound?

Some green IT intern working in the server room might have clicked on "Enable MQA" by mistake :)

But seriously, this would be a great development if Tidal is ready to start lighting up the MQA titles and then we shall see where this technology goes whether the same fate as SACD or something that really catches a wave and improves upon audiophile streaming. Not sure about the social-economics of MQA and the licensing issues but I am always interested in technology that improves the sound.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

But seriously, this would be a great development if Tidal is ready to start lighting up the MQA titles and then we shall see where this technology goes whether the same fate as SACD or something that really catches a wave and improves upon audiophile streaming. Not sure about the social-economics of MQA and the licensing issues but I am always interested in technology that improves the sound.

SACD is still alive and well, some 15+ years after introduction. We will see if MQA lasts that long.

As for improving the sound, to my ears your better off with DSD and FLAC downloads vs. ones that have been reduced in size with MQA.

Is this occurring on anything that you play or just select titles?

I have logged out and back in again and I could not get the blue color leds to work in my explorer2 - despite using records that I know that are MQA'ed in other download sites.

Downloaded the latest version - also standalone app and Audirvana's embedded one.

So I fear it doesn't work yet - at least for my contract (which is HIFI all the way)

• 1 month later...

Tidal MQA works, but only through ROON...

I tried the new Masters using the Windows desktop, but could not get my Meridian Explorer2 to light up. So I tagged the new MQA albums in Tidal, switched to Roon, resynced to Tidal. Now I get the three LEDs to light up on the DAC, and play MQA.

Listening for a while before commenting on SQ improvements.

Tidal MQA works, but only through ROON...

I tried the new Masters using the Windows desktop, but could not get my Meridian Explorer2 to light up. So I tagged the new MQA albums in Tidal, switched to Roon, resynced to Tidal. Now I get the three LEDs to light up on the DAC, and play MQA.

Listening for a while before commenting on SQ improvements.

As of today, the Tidal app gives you the option of using either software (i.e., in the player) decoding or passing through the MQA stream unmolested.

Since Roon has not yet been updated, if you stream an MQA-enabled album, the MQA stream will come through without alteration - which is what you want anyway, given you have an MQA-capable DAC :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Where is this option/setting in the Tidal App?

Settings | Streaming | Sound Output | (select the "gear" icon next to the source you wish to use)

TIDAL 2017-01-05 18-20-54.png

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

That's weird, I only have this.

I'm playing to a USB connected T+A DAC

Usually through Roon/HQP.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32102[/ATTACH]

Highlight the System Default, see if that triggers options

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Nope - no difference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32104[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32105[/ATTACH]

I have a similar problem. If Tidal does not recognise your DAC in "Settings" (which I can see it does not) then Tidal will not let you select "Exclusive Mode", and so (I believe) the MQA stuff will not happen. That is, I believe (anyone disagree please?) that it is necessary to select Exclusive Mode so that Tidal can choose the bit depth/sample rate. Your DAC will report the bit depth/sample rate that you have set through that Windows control panel.

I have a similar problem - Tidal recognises my DAC (Audiolab MDAC) but when I select it (in Tidal "Settings"), Tidal simply defaults back to "System Default". Which, as you have discovered, is No Good.

I get the impression that a lot of problem are finding this selection of Exclusive Mode buggy. I have had a support ticket open with Tidal for months.