IGNORED

An Audiophile DNA Modification!

Most of us are probably aware that the attempts have been made to modify human embryos' DNA. In fact we could see first genetically modified humans quite soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/15/first-genetically-modified-humans-could-exist-within-two-years/

And while everybody reflecting on this thinks about such possibilities as preventing diseases or increasing some abilities (like IQ) that DNA modifying could give us, I just came with a different idea.

What if we could increase our hearing ability due to such a modification.? The simple idea is to increase our low frequency hearing range to let's say an elephant level and the high frequency one to let's say - a bottlenose dolphin or porpoise.

512px-Animal_hearing_frequency_range.svg.png

Could improving the dynamics and stereo imaging be possible too.? ;)

If so - the new type of an audiophile would appear on the planet - (let's call him) the Superaudiophile.

How many of us would like our kids to be like that? How would this influence the audio market? How the rest of (unmodified) us would feel while talking about sound quality with a guy like that..?!

BTW I am aware I've just entered Philip K. Dick territory.. Someone ready to let his imagination run free.? :)

Designers (mostly speaker ones) are having trouble with the reproduction of the natural audible range. Why make matters worse?

Besides, there is no way of knowing if we would like the sounds made by instruments which are currently out of range...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The reason our hearing drops around 20 hz is otherwise you hear digestion, creaking joints and other body cavity resonance.

resonate body parts.gif

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I wonder how many audiophiles on this website have the hearing of a tuna or a goldfish?

I have the impulse control of a gerbil.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Most of us are probably aware that the attempts have been made to modify human embryos' DNA. In fact we could see first genetically modified humans quite soon.

First genetically modified humans could exist within two years

And while everybody reflecting on this thinks about such possibilities as preventing diseases or increasing some abilities (like IQ) that DNA modifying could give us, I just came with a different idea.

What if we could increase our hearing ability due to such a modification.? The simple idea is to increase our low frequency hearing range to let's say an elephant level and the high frequency one to let's say - a bottlenose dolphin or porpoise.

512px-Animal_hearing_frequency_range.svg.png

Could improving the dynamics and stereo imaging be possible too.? ;)

If so - the new type of an audiophile would appear on the planet - (let's call him) the Superaudiophile.

How many of us would like our kids to be like that? How would this influence the audio market? How the rest of (unmodified) us would feel while talking about sound quality with a guy like that..?!

BTW I am aware I've just entered Philip K. Dick territory.. Someone ready to let his imagination run free.? :)

Regarding the entry on the chart for tuna, is that albacore or chunk light?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If the polar ice caps melt, and we are asked to adapt to using underwater terrain for living space, it could prove respectful towards our sea-bound neighbors. So yes, very 1950's sci-fi.

Mention of this elsewhere was not directed towards such interpretation. An elderly family member reached peak sensitivity with their executive level hearing aids. Suddenly the otherwise silent high notes in children's cries and other naturally occurring frequencies became intolerable. Thus they became intolerable. Greatly expanding the ability to intercept tonal range negatively and substantially lowered their ability to comfortably experience dynamic range. This was contrasted with the minds ear as the ultimate audiophile. Or if you must, a super audiophile conversing with the super ego and any other super's rattling around in there. Tuning up internal facilities before they are over stimulated. Listen not just hear.

I found this humorous accompaniment to questioning what happens when there is nothing left to crash into but the sea floor. The other half of the sci-fi equation.

CkKnGW7.jpg

The reason our hearing drops around 20 hz is otherwise you hear digestion, creaking joints and other body cavity resonance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30790[/ATTACH]

This is very interesting but resonance frequencies of different parts of human body is something different from frequencies of noises they make. You know - according to this picture we should hear our heads or eyeballs(!) move!

Oddly, it looks as if an original Quad is the perfect speaker for a canary, cockatiel and parakeet. I would have thought canaries hear more than that. So the old complement, sings like a canary, maybe isn't one. ;)

If we need DSD512 for humans to hear transients lord almighty what it will take for a dolphin.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Oddly, it looks as if an original Quad is the perfect speaker for a canary, cockatiel and parakeet. I would have thought canaries hear more than that. So the old complement, sings like a canary, maybe isn't one. ;)

If we need DSD512 for humans to hear transients lord almighty what it will take for a dolphin.

You know what the designer of the original Quad speakers used to say to the people claiming the transducer lacks low end? 'Take the cardboard box then and kick it to the rhythm!'. I'm not joking.
You know what the designer of the original Quad speakers used to say to the people claiming the transducer lacks low end? 'Take the cardboard box then and kick it to the rhythm!'. I'm not joking.

Never heard that one from Peter Walker. Those originals well set in a room had pretty good response to 50 hz or near enough. Not as lacking as some imagine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

My first set of speakers were destroyed by a cockatiel.

Jealous that you had a couple more tweeters in the house?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I took another look at that histogram and it is not accurate - maybe it is old

e.g. elephants are known to communicate down to 12 Hz, not 17

Maybe the elephants already had some DNA upgrades and didn't tell us.

My first set of speakers were destroyed by a cockatiel.
I understand the cockatiel ended in your microvawe oven(?).. I had a long 'discussion' with my cat about her jumping upon my previous speakers. Fortunately she didn't do it with my present ones. Probably she knew that the microwave option could become reality in such case ;)