IGNORED

The Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday I listened to 'Echoes' from Pink Floyd "Live at Pompei' and I have to say I must add David Gilmore to my top ten guitarists list (I apologize for breaking the rules and including the eleventh guitarist) for sheer simplicity, total lack of showmanship or technical 'masturbation' and so many memorable solos I know 'by heart' that it would be difficult to count them. I used to be a huge Pink Floyd fan when I was 15-20 and not including him in this list would be simply ungrateful..  Amen.

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan

4. Jerry Garcia

5. Eddie Van Halen

6. Duane Allman

7. Jimmy Page

8. BB King

9. John McLaughlin

10. Keith Richards

12. Derek Trucks

13. Pete Townshend

14. David Gilmour

and there's more but those are who I like in the rock'ish genre

On 10/27/2017 at 3:13 PM, Johnseye said:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan

4. Jerry Garcia

5. Eddie Van Halen

6. Duane Allman

7. Jimmy Page

8. BB King

9. John McLaughlin

10. Keith Richards

12. Derek Trucks

13. Pete Townshend

14. David Gilmour

I'd add Lindsay Buckingham to the end of that list ;)

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-27 at 2:13 PM, Johnseye said:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan

4. Jerry Garcia

5. Eddie Van Halen

6. Duane Allman

7. Jimmy Page

8. BB King

9. John McLaughlin

10. Keith Richards

12. Derek Trucks

13. Pete Townshend

14. David Gilmour

no Zappa?  The lyrics really deterred a greater acceptance in the mainstream but his playing was exceptional.

Also Brian May (of Queen) ?

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

On 10/29/2017 at 10:47 AM, EdmontonCanuck said:

I'd add Lindsay Buckingham to the end of that list ;)

I do like Lindsay Buckingham a lot and his work is probably understated.  I just don't think of him in the same way as the other guitarists.  Just personal opinion.

1 hour ago, wdw said:

no Zappa?  The lyrics really deterred a greater acceptance in the mainstream but his playing was exceptional.

Zappa is an excellent guitarist and a great composer, but I think his style kept him from being more accepted.  I've listened to almost everything he's done, but I don't listen to it that often.  Maybe because much of it lacks a harmonious melody.  As Garcia would say, Zappa's like licorice, not everyone likes it but those who do, really like it.

Bottom line is that these guys are without a doubt some of the best guitarists ever, but those I listed are better.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Zappa is an excellent guitarist and a great composer, but I think his style kept him from being more accepted.  I've listened to almost everything he's done, but I don't listen to it that often.  Maybe because much of it lacks a harmonious melody.  As Garcia would say, Zappa's like licorice, not everyone likes it but those who do, really like it.

True...good appraisal.  I like his work in the "abstract" but, in truth, am rarely inclined to play it and would never play him if my wife is listening as the misogyny is just too much.

24 minutes ago, wdw said:

True...good appraisal.  I like his work in the "abstract" but, in truth, am rarely inclined to play it and would never play him if my wife is listening as the misogyny is just too much.

Solution: "Shut Up 'n Play Your Guitar", all are great and no singing to get in the way!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

17 minutes ago, barrows said:

Solution: "Shut Up 'n Play Your Guitar", all are great and no singing to get in the way!

This collection is exactly the reason why I couldn't count Zappa true great musician. Only a man with a bloated ego but without a taste or sense of humor would cut out and publish a couple of hours of his solos, which are quite similar one to each other. Well, he is very good technically, but technical finesse alone doesn't make anyone outstanding.

5 hours ago, wdw said:

IMHO his lyrics were exceptional too. His sense of humour, intelligence and uncompromising attitude actually triggered my interest in his music (happened many years ago when I played his cassettes in my car on my way to the Netherlands). I understand they may be not to everyone's taste though.

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Maybe because much of it lacks a harmonious melody.

I agree, he has written some songs that could potentially be commercial hits (but often the lyrics stood in the way) but much of his music IMO has some I'd say 'abstract' (non-emotional) quality.

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:
3 hours ago, barrows said:

This collection is exactly the reason why I couldn't count Zappa true great musician.

I've actually always admired him for being brave enough to release this very non-commercial material both on 'Guitar' and 'SU"N"PYG'. Two double CDs of guitar solos - who else would do something like that.?! IMO he was not that great technically but he had his easily recognizable 'dirty' style of playing I personally like. And of course he had Hendrix Strat in his collection :) !

BTW when I started this thread I promised to count the votes at some point. Unfortunately I have very little free time now. Anyway it's not difficult (after some browsing) to come to the conclusion that Jimi is a clear winner in (computer) audiophiles circles. Which doesn't make me that unhappy - he was my personal No 1 too. In short - if someone said that rock guitar history is divided into two main chapters - before and after Hendrix - I personally wouldn't argue. What do you think,, guys.?

17 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Two double CDs of guitar solos - who else would do something like that.?!

Nobody who cares about listener. I am not sure anyone would maintain a continuous attentive interest from the beginning to an end of these "albums" - would you? In fact I had both sets in CD form in my library, and I first heard it on LPs before that. I was never able to sit and listen this for more than 10-15 min.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2017 at 9:12 AM, AnotherSpin said:

This collection is exactly the reason why I couldn't count Zappa true great musician. Only a man with a bloated ego but without a taste or sense of humor would cut out and publish a couple of hours of his solos, which are quite similar one to each other. Well, he is very good technically, but technical finesse alone doesn't make anyone outstanding.

Totally disagree.  FZ is not all that great technically, what is interesting is his choice of notes and the progressions of his solos in context.  He often had technically more gifted guitar players in his band: see Steve Vai...

I hope everyone here also realizes SUnPYG is Live, right?  BTW, I love listening to it...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

13 hours ago, barrows said:

I hope everyone here also realizes SUnPYG is Live, right?  BTW, I love listening to it...

It's not only live but I'm pretty (I have no CDs here with me) sure like most Zappa live recordings (eg whole 'You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore' vol.1-6) it's not been edited in the mixing stage. It's so rare in these times of postproduction 'improvements'. IMO it deserves respect. BTW I watched 'Eat That Question - FZ in His Own Words' documentary 2 days ago and I highly recommend it to all who are interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John McLaughlin. I've seen him in every iteration except playing for Miles. Technically without peer when younger (not to take away now). 

Jeff Beck. Always improving and looking for something better.Technical, tone, sound the best.

Robert Fripp. Without peer in composition and playing ability.

Lots of shredders abound. YouTube will teach you how to get it done these days with lots of practice. Just visit a Guitar Center and you'll see kids playing incredible riffs.

This is the deal: Lots of players but hardly ANYONE can write. That is why everyone is in love with all the older players. And that is where you divide the great from the Karaoke's.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to derail this thread for a moment. Hope you'll forgive me. I don't know what's your opinion on that, guys but I think a women playing guitar looks usually very cool. In particular if she plays it really good.

Do you know of any good female guitarists.?

Please treat this video as just an inspiration attempt. I'm not a huge MJ fan. Obviously the guitar solo (IMO one of the best in pop music, 2:30) is Eddie van Halen's property.

And BTW - I remember that Frank Zappa once asked about MJ replied - 'I'd like to meet his doctor'..