IGNORED

The Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

I'm not his biggest fan, but this IS great music:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30722[/ATTACH]

He definitely can play music but most of his stuff is not what I'd call ''musical''. Guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani leave me cold. On the other hand while not as flashy and technical J.J. Cale has a seemingly simple, understated style that has influenced people like Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler. In an interview Eric Clapton has even admitted ''I don't know how he does it''

Jeff Beck is somewhere in the middle, Hendrix could do it all.

He definitely can play music but most of his stuff is not what I'd call ''musical''. Guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani leave me cold. On the other hand while not as flashy and technical J.J. Cale has a seemingly simple, understated style that has influenced people like Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler. In an interview Eric Clapton has even admitted ''I don't know how he does it''

Jeff Beck is somewhere in the middle, Hendrix could do it all.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I'm not a Jeff Beck fan, particularly. The best part of that show was Imelda May's vocals, but Beck spearheaded it.

I do think threads like this are pointless on Computer Audiophile, and are more suited to the Steve Hoffman Music Forums, where 90% of the posts are twaddle. You can't name the "greatest" guitarists, only those most popular or influential. I agree that Hendrix fits that description. I saw him perform in person, and, he was amazing. Having said that, there are players named in this thread that I've never heard, and plenty that I think are important that haven't been mentioned. Music is an art form, with individuals who express themselves, and it cannot be said that one is "greater" than another.

You can't name the "greatest" guitarists, only those most popular or influential.

The original post for this thread is confusing since it's tilted "The Greatest Guitarist of All Time" yet it appears to actually be looking for "most historically important":

Name up to 5 (ok, max. 10 if it's not enough) guitar players who in your opinion are the most historically important figures of all time.
The original post for this thread is confusing since it's tilted "The Greatest Guitarist of All Time" yet it appears to actually be looking for "most historically important":
Yes, what I actually meant was (as stated in the thread description) most historically important guitarist(s). I used the word 'greatest' in the thread's title simply to keep it short.

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimi Page

4. Peter Greene

5. Jeff Beck

6. Carlos Santana

7. Duane Allman

8. Alvin Lee

9. Ritchie Blackmore

10. Stevie Ray Vaughan

(Not necessarily in order)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• Win 10 (64), (Front Room) Phil's Audio Optimizer, Tidal/Roon, HQPlayer, RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Hegel H300, van den Hul - The Clearwater, PMC Twenty.24's.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I'm not a Jeff Beck fan, particularly. The best part of that show was Imelda May's vocals, but Beck spearheaded it.

I do think threads like this are pointless on Computer Audiophile, and are more suited to the Steve Hoffman Music Forums, where 90% of the posts are twaddle. You can't name the "greatest" guitarists, only those most popular or influential. I agree that Hendrix fits that description. I saw him perform in person, and, he was amazing. Having said that, there are players named in this thread that I've never heard, and plenty that I think are important that haven't been mentioned. Music is an art form, with individuals who express themselves, and it cannot be said that one is "greater" than another.

I also think such threads are pointless and when I saw the title I rolled eyes and said ''really?'' to myself. But for some reason I was compelled to reply.

With the exception of popularity (commercial succe$$) you can't really quantify greatness. The rest is very subjective. Personally I define greatness by originality, creativity and what moves me vs technical prowess.

I'll take a Joe Pass a Kenny Burrell or a nice soaring rock ballad over a techno shredder any day. I don't get how Robert Johnson ends up on so many of these lists though.

There are many unknown studio and sessions guitarists that I would qualify as great also just because they can do a good job in so many varied scenarios. Think of Bowie who would go from SRV to Adrian Belew to Earl Slick.

Or how about this local guy who Montrealers simply refer to as Réj.E (Reggie) humbly backing up egomaniac Dennis DeYoung. Unless you hung around Montreal bars you most likely have never heard of him. Could Clapton do a better job in this context?

Too wwanldmanfan and Emcee It makes no sense to post your non participating opinions. Simply list your results. Of course there's hundreds of unheard of great guitarists (session players) and yes this has been done before. Just bite or ignor it. It's fun or should be.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

wow, can't believe no one put rory gallagher on their list.

rory gallagher

the voodoo child

s r v

duane allman

david gilmour

richie blackmore

terry kath

gary moore

alvin lee

jimmy page

robin trower

johnny winter

if blues

buddy guy

albert king

b.b. king

freedie king

peter green

pappo

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

I'll give ya that a PhD in astrophysics is impressive.

Is "Brain" his nickname? What is most impressive is that he got his PhD in astrophysics at age 60!

Larry (who also has a PhD in astrophysics)

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files