IGNORED

The Greatest Guitarist of All Time.

I think everyone will agree that the guitar is an essential rock music instrument. The history of rock and the guitar - its sound, technique, musical harmonic and rhythmic complexity etc. are so closely interconnected that I think it's difficult to think about the one without the other.

Name up to 5 (ok, max. 10 if it's not enough) guitar players who in your opinion are the most historically important figures of all time. Let's take into account the rock/blues/jazz-rock world 'cause 'pure-mainstream' jazz or classical guitar playing are IMO another story.

I will be tempted (if this thread is succesful enough) to count the votes (1st place - 10 points, 2nd - 9, etc) in a couple of weeks or months time to announce officially who's the most important guitarist of all time according to CA community. And what players' names follow The King.

This is what's it all about :)

Amfzwx.jpg

My candidates:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Robert Johnson

3. Jimmy Page

4. Stevie Ray Vaughan

5. Steve Vai

A honorable mention - Lightnin' Hopkins - IMO the most underrated bluesman of all time and a fantastic classic blues guitar player.

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan

4. John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

5. Eddie Van Halen - Typical, but he did take it to another level (He's still constantly copied)

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Robert Johnson

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page

David Gilmour

The Edge

Sent from my XT1585 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I don't think I can rank them but I enjoy Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, and lots of the real shredders like Randy Rhoades & Dimebag.

There are also some guitarists who have a style that I just enjoy whether or not they rank as the greatest. I would put Buddy Holly, Tom Morello, Cat Stevens and Jim Croce in this category.

My top 10, alphabetically:

Duane Allman

Chet Atkins

Jeff Beck

Peter Green

George Harrison

Jimi Hendrix

BB King

Mark Knopfler

Les Paul

Carlos Santana

Honorable mention to my favorite singer-songwriter, Bruce Cockburn, who is also an amazing guitarist.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Hendrix didn't just play the guitar, he composed on the guitar.

Hendrix didn't just compose on the guitar, he redefined the guitar.

all the above are xlnt, but who else can meet the 2 criteria just above?

Of the above, Robert Johnson.

Folks should also have a look at the late, great Michael Hedges.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Honorable mention to my favorite singer-songwriter, Bruce Cockburn, who is also an amazing guitarist.

He is, isn't he?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'll toss in a couple of others I haven't seen above (sorry if I missed them):

John McLaughlin

Keith Richards

Pete Townshend (turn the intro to Pinball Wizard way, way up and tell me he's not)

Robert Johnson isn't really a rock guitarist, as per the rules, tho they weren't in the title so maybe they aren't enforceable rules...

I wasn't the first to mention him. You said "All of the above are excellent, but who else can meet the 2 criteria...?" I was just answering your question. :)

By the way - don't know if it's still there, but when I went to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame they had an exhibit of clothing worn in live performance, and they had one of Hendrix's outfits. The guy had a waist like Audrey Hepburn. I wonder if he ever ate.