IGNORED

REW and Audirvana

Kugel

Hi Kugel,

You can try LAConvolver (Lernvall Audio) to apply correction impulses inside Audirvana. But this is an old piece of SW which does not work well in Audirvana with large correction impulses.

Damien Plisson, the developer of Audirvana is aware of this and might work on it later, after he has completed the 2.6 version of his SW.

Thank youI'm testing the MathAudio to Audirvana (test version) and want to try the REW. The Dirac have not tried to be very expensive (400 €).Any alternative but to use the REW with Audirvana?

Hi Kugel,

MathAudio looks nice, but I never tried it.

You have a multiple dimensions problem to solve:

- one dimension is the functionalities: are you after room correction in amplitude only, or are you trying to correct the time alignment of your speakers as well. I you are in the amplitude only, REW is an option. If you are interested in amplitude+time alignment, you would need to consider REW+rePhase, or Acourate or Dirac as possible choices. Dirac is a no brainer (works for everyone), Acourate is more versatile (you can use it as a profane as well as an expert). REW+rePhase requires more personal investment from you. You will be able to reach approximately the same results with all three solutions, but your level of personal involvement and therefore satisfaction will be different in each case

- another dimension is the deployment of the solution: Dirac (as MathAudio) require proprietary plugins. Acourate and REW/rePhase produce impulses which you can use with every convolver you want.

- finally, you have the availability of the convolver on your platform: as Dirac and MathAudio have proprietary technologies, you rely on their convolvers. I was not very happy with Dirac+Audirvana solution so I dropped it. Same with LAConvolver+Audirvana.

As I was very motivated by room correction, I moved away from Audirvana and chose JRiver. Very easy solution and fantastic convolver in 64bits. You can also try HQPlayer which has a very good convolver too.

At the end, you need to define which are your priorities and address each dimension of the problem accordingly.

Hope this helps :)

Hola Kugel,

. MathAudio se ve bien, pero nunca he probado,

usted tiene un problema dimensiones múltiples de resolver:

- una dimensión es las funcionalidades: Se encuentra después de la corrección habitación en amplitud única, o está tratando de corregir la alineación temporal de los altavoces también. I usted está en la amplitud única, REW es una opción. Si usted está interesado en la alineación amplitud + tiempo, usted debe tener en cuenta REW + Rephase, o Acourate o Dirac como posibles opciones. Dirac es una obviedad (funciona para todo el mundo), Acourate es más versátil (se puede utilizar como un profano, así como un experto). REW + Rephase requiere una mayor inversión personal de usted. Usted será capaz de alcanzar aproximadamente los mismos resultados con las tres soluciones, pero su nivel de implicación personal y, por tanto, la satisfacción será diferente en cada caso

- otra dimensión es el despliegue de la solución: Dirac (como MathAudio) requiere plugins propietarios. Acourate y REW / Rephase producir impulsos que se pueden utilizar con todos los Convolver desea.

- Por último, usted tiene la disponibilidad de convolucionador en su plataforma: como Dirac y MathAudio tienen tecnologías propietarias, que dependen de sus convolvers. Yo no estaba muy feliz con la solución de Dirac + Audirvana así que lo dejó caer. Lo mismo con LAConvolver + Audirvana.

Como yo estaba muy motivado por la corrección de la habitación, me alejé de Audirvana y elegimos JRiver. Solución muy fácil y fantástica convolucionador en 64bits. También puede tratar HQPlayer que tiene una muy buena convolucionador también.

Al final, es necesario definir cuáles son sus prioridades y abordar cada dimensión del problema en consecuencia.

Espero que esto ayude :)[/ quote]

Thank you very much again. The MathAudio solution works well but the test version beeps every 15 seconds that prevents evaluate (in my opinion) the software correctly. Dirac has a test version of 30 days but I "fear" that I like (are almost 400 €). Long probe JRiver for Mac but I prefer the sound of Audirvana. Maybe try again

• 1 year later...

In case you want to experiment with an alternative to a convolver plugin:

REW initially computes the "room correction" (frequency response) as multiple parametric EQ (PEQ) notch filters.  (See REW user guide chapters 33 and 34 on EQ Filters.)  REW then optionally calculates an equivalent impulse response from this array of PEQ filters.

Therefore, instead of using a convolver plugin in Audirvana, you can use the "Apple AU Parametric EQ plugin", which is automatically available in Audirvana because it is built into OS X.  Simply copy each of the PEQ Filter settings from REW into a corresponding instance of the Apple plugin in Audirvana.

However, the serious shortcoming of the PEQ method is that Audirvana only allows 4 AU plugin instances, whereas REW allows you to refine the room correction using as many as 12 PEQ filters.  Exporting the impulse response from REW to a convolver plugin hosted by Audirvana allows you to take advantage of all 12 PEQ filters generated by REW.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

3 hours ago, Jeebee said:

For 39 €, I use Reverberate Core from LiquidSonics and it is fine. 

Good to know that it still works!  What version of OS X are you using it on?

The only other convolver plugin for OS X I'm aware of is SIR2, but it's more expensive at $143 after the perpetual 25% discount:

https://www.siraudiotools.com/sir2.php

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Mac music player alternatives to Audirvana:

HQ Player has its own high quality convolver.

Pure Music can host up to 14 instances of AU plugins, so it can implement all 12 PEQ filters generated by REW without resorting to convolution.  (See my 2nd preceding post regarding the Apple AU Parametric EQ plugin built into OS X.)

Hi Bob Stern,

As i said, Reverberate Core from LiquidSonics works well.

My Mac mini is dedicated to audio, with Mavericks / Audirvana 3.2 and CAD scripts (optimization scripts). That's all! no hard drive (SD card only, music is on my NAS HS251+) and with a LPSU by Uptone Audio JS-2. Audirvana is the best i tried (Amarra 3 was good also, but 4...), no upsampling, just reading 16/44 files! I never had such a good sound!

• 3 years later...

For the newbie REW/Mac/Audirvana user, I found the following workflow helpful:

1) Good REW tutorial here.  You can stop at minute 13 if using Mac / Audirvana.

2) For exporting filter results from REW: 'After creating your target EQ filter in REW per Julian's steps, go to File>Export filters impulse response as WAV. Name and save to a location of your choice. You do this rather than exporting the filter as a text file.(Avi Bortnick)

3) Download free Convology XT Plugin (need to register)

4) Restart computer

5) Open Convology XT Plugin in Audirvana, 'Configure' and add REW filter .wav file.  Save

6) Turn plugin on/off (orange 'power' button) with different music playing to A/B results. (FREQ button shows activity)

image.thumb.png.2c4bb1e939360c19bb0673d2e5a69b5a.png

• 1 month later...