IGNORED

iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label (released on the 30th of November 2016)

It looks like it still requires the use of an adapter to accommodate a USB B-type connector, which is too bad.

Even so, this might have to be a little Christmas gift to myself to replace my current one (which I love)....

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

This is absolutely intentional for use with portable sources. One of the key missions with the iDSD micro was to make portable DAC that can be used easily and without messy cabling with Smartphones.If you require a desktop/hifi-system only DAC mainly with line out and can live with USB only inputs, you should try an iDAC 2 micro plus iUSB 3.0 nano combo. We feel this is a great setup for desktop/hifi-system use and of course being designd to work in such environment it features needed USB B connections.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

This is absolutely intentional for use with portable sources. One of the key missions with the iDSD micro was to make portable DAC that can be used easily and without messy cabling with Smartphones.

But how does being the only DAC (as far as I'm aware) that requires a USB type A female connector on the end of the input cable help with that specific mission, or help people easily figure out ways to connect with this DAC in general? Mapleshade happily made me a custom input cable, but still, I had to have a custom input cable made (if I didn't want two extra connections, i.e., the two ends of an adapter, in the chain).

I'm (more than) happy with the performance of the iFi micro-iDSD that I own and am looking forward to listening to the Black Label one of these days, but the decision regarding the unusual USB input did mean a bit of extra hassle. Please take this not as a criticism but as customer feedback to do with whatever you feel appropriate, including deciding not to change anything. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

But how does being the only DAC (as far as I'm aware) that requires a USB type A female connector on the end of the input cable help with that specific mission, or help people easily figure out ways to connect with this DAC in general? Mapleshade happily made me a custom input cable, but still, I had to have a custom input cable made (if I didn't want two extra connections, i.e., the two ends of an adapter, in the chain).

I'm (more than) happy with the performance of the iFi micro-iDSD that I own and am looking forward to listening to the Black Label one of these days, but the decision regarding the unusual USB input did mean a bit of extra hassle. Please take this not as a criticism but as customer feedback to do with whatever you feel appropriate, including deciding not to change anything. :)

+1

Let me reiterate that I'm also very, very happy with my micro iDSD, even with the adapter. I'm pretty certain that I'll have one of these Black Beauties before too long.

However, this strikes me as a missed opportunity. How about making a custom, high quality USB cable so we desktop users can forego the adapter?

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Here is how I am dealing with the usb extender issue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Dongle-Extender-connector-for-Logitech-Unifying-Receiver-and-more-M-F-/282106008868

I had one of these lying around from a Logitech wireless keyboard purchase.

This is perfect for a connection to a REGEN or other usb box.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

We listen to what you say and we see such commentary as a customer feedback very much indeed :)

But how does being the only DAC (as far as I'm aware) that requires a USB type A female connector on the end of the input cable help with that specific mission, or help people easily figure out ways to connect with this DAC in general?

Why not USB-C? It's the way of the future.

I'm presently using an iDSD Nano and a Micro Black will arrive tomorrow. Mine is used for home use only. The Nano to me is a much more portable solution and it has a USB B connection. Your logic for the Micro USB connector doesn't follow your product line or I missed this in the fine print. I had to find a cheap A to A cable on Amazon. It's easier to find a nice B to C vs the A to A cable.

In the least it would be nice if your company offered a high quaility A to A cable. It's your product and you would have the market nearly cornered on a high quaility A to A cable.

I probably won't purchase your large home unit but I do enjoy the Nano. It beat out the Aqua La Scala Mk II in our system last month. We like your house sound and it works well in our system so moving up your product line is logical to my wife and I. This USB a connector is the only hiccup we have had so far.

We listen to what you say and we see such commentary as a customer feedback very much indeed :)

In addition to what we wrote earlier, here's the extended version:

Easy connection and piggybacking with smartphones using OTG cable (android) or camera kit (iOS) was our aim in discussed machine's case. It is meant for portable use primarily.

As for USB input, we're not the only ones with type A implementation. Many DACs come with USB-A plugs (all the "USB dongle" types) and others have used USB mini or micro.

If a pure stationary (desktop/hifi system) DAC is required, looking at iDAC 2 micro and iCAN SE micro (and perhaps a complementary iUSB 3.0 nano) delivers a system that more than matches the iDSD sonically and is optimised and designed for desktop / Hifi System use.

TLDR: iDSD was meant for portable use mainly, hence we did what we did.

Easy connection and piggybacking with smartphones using OTG cable (android) or camera kit (iOS) was our aim in discussed machine's case. It is meant for portable use primarily.

As for USB input, we're not the only ones with type A implementation. Many DACs come with USB-A plugs (all the "USB dongle" types) and others have used USB mini or micro.

If a pure stationary (desktop/hifi system) DAC is required, looking at iDAC 2 micro and iCAN SE micro (and perhaps a complementary iUSB 3.0 nano) delivers a system that more than matches the iDSD sonically and is optimised and designed for desktop / Hifi System use.

The microIDSD is capable of dsd512, the idac2 is not. HQplayer upsampling to dsd512 is a great reason to choose the microIDSD over other DACs in the line, as well as other DACs in in general. The microIDSD is a bit tough to integrate, but once done, the SQ meets or beats other DACs I've had here at 8 to 10 times the price.

I am curious to hear the black label edition in comparison to the legacy version.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Measurements vis-à-vis sound quality - part 2

Part 2: So what is our approach?

So there you have it. Measurements shed not much light on sound quality is our core belief. And that’s the key reason behind why we measure minimally and audition maximally. And we mean a lot of man hours.

As for our somewhat different stance, this is how we prefer to approach things:

1. To listen, listen and then listen even more, systematically and blindfolded as much as possible.

2. To show the internal components and the changes where we apply in our products.

3. To let people to listen and decide for themselves if they like the sound of the product or not. ‘Under the hood’ knowledge and personal experience is all they need.

OK, but to say that one has to listen isn’t good enough for many enthusiasts. As discussed previously, measurements aren’t very helpful outside of our skunkworks, hence let’s leave these to one side for the moment.

But we understand that some of you need something direct, a proof and a basis of an improvement from one model to its next iteration. This we can happily provide. Below you’ll find two sides of Micro iDSD Black Label’s PCB. These show the exact internal components which were upgraded in comparison to the original iDSD model. Yes, 34 elements in total are behind why (thankfully!) people are hearing for themselves from customers who have taken a ‘sip’ of our own Black Label.

PCB-1.1-WHITE.jpg

PCB-2-GREY.jpg

The Digital Engine:

D1. DAC Power supply upgraded with iFi custom ultra-low noise Operationsverstärker OV2028

D2. DAC reference voltage decoupling changed to Panasonic audio-grade ECPU film capacitors

D3. Digital power supplies upgraded with ultra-low impedance Panasonic OSCON capacitors

D4. GMT® Femto precision clock system power supply upgraded for super low phase-noise/jitter

The Analogue section:

A1. Analogue section upgraded with iFi custom low noise FET input Operationsverstärker OV2627

A2. Analogue power supplies upgraded with Ultra-low impedance Panasonic OSCON capacitors

A3. 3D+® performance-tuned

A4. XBass+® performance-tuned

A5. Re-designed Output Stabilisation network for less distortion

For 3D+® & XBass+® we adjusted based on wide ranging customer feedback after a period of field testing different adjustments.

The next step is in the listening.

PCB-1-GREY.jpg

With less than 24 hours of burn in on the Micro BL we are already impressed by the sound compared to the iDSD Nano in the same home system. More detailed impressions once it has 100 or so hours on it.

We are very happy with your implementation of the PCM1793 chip. For those of us with SE only systems and for home use, is this the best you will offer in this chip set?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the iDSD layout better for desktop use with the RCAs and USB in the back. I have an iDSD Nano, which has the same layout as the iDAC2, in my main system, and I find that the layout is a pain with the USB on one side and the RCAs on the other. I'm sure for portable use it is fine, but that configuration for desktop is awkward.

A USB B to USB A adapter or better USB A to USB A cable would be a great alternative. I would really like to use the USB cable I have now and not invest in a new cable going from the Nano to the iDSD BL.

I like the iDSD layout better for desktop use with the RCAs and USB in the back. I have an iDSD Nano, which has the same layout as the iDAC2, in my main system, and I find that the layout is a pain with the USB on one side and the RCAs on the other. I'm sure for portable use it is fine, but that configuration for desktop is awkward.

A USB B to USB A adapter or better USB A to USB A cable would be a great alternative. I would really like to use the USB cable I have now and not invest in a new cable going from the Nano to the iDSD BL.

I'd prefer something better than having to make a custom cable or use something like the picture below

http://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/3633.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In one of threads on another forums, a good question was asked regarding our 3D and Xbass implementation. We thought that this might be a good opportunity to make a reply in more historical and technical fashion. Without further ado, here it goes...

iFi Audio 3D-Matrix - Part 1/2

If using the line-out mode, the RCA output is fixed level and neither volume control, 3D-Matrix and X-Bass have any effect on the signal. If using the preamp-out mode the RCA Output gets the signal after the volume control and 3D-Matrix/X-Bass section so these will be active on the output. X-Bass is the same on both headphone- and preamp-out.

LL

However, 3D-Matrix is a different topic. First it needs to be understood what this atypical iFi Audio technology is about (hint: it is ASP, not DSP and based upon Alan Blumlein’s work). Microphones are not ears, whereas speakers + rooms and/or headphones are not really just microphones in reverse. As early as the 1930's, the inventor of modern stereo recording/playback systems - Alan Dower Blumlein - realised that microphone based stereo audio recordings distorted the 3D perspective in comparison to the real thing listening.

LL

He devised a compensator (known as shuffler) for the speaker side of things and also did some work at the headphones end. Said compensation technology was implemented later by EMI as "Stereosonic" process and applied to early stereo recordings (including some by The Beatles). The headphone compensator never was completed. At later time, inventors such as Bauer presented their takes.

In the end, both Blumlein/Stereosonic shuffling and the Bauer/Linkwitz/Meier cross-feed systems remain worthwhile. But attempts to correct a fundamental dichotomy or flaw in modern stereo recordings were unsuccessful.

What the iFi 3D-Matrix has to offer is an improvement over the previous corrective systems and we feel we have achieved this. And while there are of course parallels and overlap with classic Blumlein shuffling and Bauer crossfeed, the iFi' 3D-Matrix goes well beyond.

More to come...

Buying some vinyl for the micro iDSD BL (and its other siblings)

Let's change the subject for a second. For those of you who're into black stuff... We took the liberty to find ourselves some nice LPs in Greece, somewhere between exhibition days. There is ALWAYS a good time to get these. Why? There are many reasons. But the fact that we simply love the sound of a fine vinyl record is more than enough! And we compare all our digital equipment in R&D to our in-house vinyl setups. This is what we benchmark our digital reference gear to. As such, we do not expect iFi DACs to sound like other DACs!

So here's what we've found...

The Dave Brubeck Trio Featuring Gerry Mulligan Blues Roots

1.jpg

• Label : Pure Pleasure - Re-mastering by Ray Staff at Air Mastering!

• Limited Edition

Everybody knows ‘Take Five.’ This is a really nice album and Broke Blues is also exceptional, Highly recommended.

Dinah Washington Back To the Blues

2.jpg

• Label : Pure Pleasure - Re-mastering by Ray Staff at Air Mastering!

Talented Singer in Blues form, if you are new to Blues, it is easy to listen and fun.

Dexter Gordon Daddy Plays The Horn 180g LP (Mono)

3.jpg

• Label : Pure Pleasure

180 Gram Mono Vinyl! Re-mastering by Ray Staff at Air Mastering! Stellar, Emotive Musical Expressions! Pressed at Pallas in Germany! Good mono recordings always more than welcome, played the
LP
with EMT mono cartridge
and
it was so much fun. Playing is not really the right word, Dexter and his party had so much fun.

Stanley Turrentine Sugar 180g LP

4.jpg

They call him Mr T or The Sugar Man. If you never heard him before this is the album you must have, upbeat funk and rock elements to his mixture of soul jazz

Paul Desmond Desmond Blue 180g LP

5.jpg

Everybody know Desmond, best known with Dave Brubeck's biggest hit "Take Five”. This one totally different, his cool and silky tones fits in perfectly with the strings.

More to come…

That whiskey material we wrote a while ago? Since technically it's still Xmas, here goes its second bit.

Part 2: Raise your glasses!

Glass

Every whisky drinker will tell you to get the Glencairn glass, which is especially designed for whisky tasting. It just hits the right parts of one’s taste buds. Much like a wine glass is designed to savor wine..

Yes, the Glencairn glass is nice, but for a casual whisky drinker there is really no need to spend $8 for such an item where a normal wine/water glass will do the job.

LL

The tip is to have a glass with both a large bottom and a narrow opening on top. Such shape is the reason why all the nice whisky aroma is kept inside the glass and will be channeled and concentrated towards your nostrils.

LL

Ice

Many gourmets will add ice to whisky. But rather than enhancing flavors, ice inhibits a drink’s taste. To put it shortly, it’ll turn dull and flat. The aromas and taste will only start to open up and reveal their full characteristics once the whisky starts to warm up to room temperature. So we don’t recommend to serve this kind of a beverage cold like a beer!

Yet once ice is added to a low quality whisky, it’ll calm the burn of cheap alcohol feeling. Therefore it can be done, but only for low quality whisky, of £10 asking or even less. Such as this Tesco Reserve…. Enjoy…

LL

An opposite analogy is with Japanese Sake, to drink it cold is to drink it right. Never taste the Sake hot unless the it’s of questionable quality or you are freezing and need a hot drink.

Water

The normal rule of thumb is as follows: don’t add water to whisky unless you are drinking cask strength whisky. This means the alcohol level of 50% or more. In this case, the alcohol percentage and burning sensation in your mouth (which unavoidably follows) can overpower even the most prominent flavours.

Most whisky sold (40-46% ABV) is not cask strength and already diluted with water, so you don’t want to add any amount of H2O again. But sometimes two or three drops of water can release further flavours and complexity and that’s exactly what you want. But to try it is to know.

If adding water, use a straw. Dip it in a glass of water, then seal its top with your finger. Next transfer the water in the straw to your glass with whisky and release. Do it a few drops every time. Small steps are advised in order to avoid watering down too much.

Yes, we are talking pipette levels of water drops.

We read that Morrison Bowmore Distillers grasped the thorny topic and discovered that a little drop of water changed the look, the taste and the smell of the whisky.

Whisky Books

Last but not least, for those of you who wish to explore further, here are a few whisky connoisseur books from one of our preferred retailers. Yes, the one from whom we get the ‘occasional’ tipple.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/books/

They really know their whisky as just like good music, we are always on the lookout for new beverages to try!

This book, ‘101 Whiskies to Try Before you Die’ is one of our favourites. Nicely penned and very informative!

LL

It is Christmas so we wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a happy new year. Drink in moderation (at least try!) and don’t drive! Get a taxi!

Hi AMR/iFi

thinking about a DAC for my main system. which of your products would you recommend. I'm currently using an Auralic Aries mini with an ESS Sabre ES9018K2M chip. I connect that to an AVR, using the minis DAC would I notice any benefit by adding an external DAC to the mini.

Are you saying the iDAC 2 micro will sound better than iDSD Black Label for Hifi System use?

iFi Audio 3D-Matrix - Part 2/2

The iDSD micro was actually iFi's first product to contain 3D-Marix ready for both speakers and headphones. Only our Retro and iCAN Pro models share this technology, whereas 3D-Matrix headphones side was introduced in iCAN and its speakers side was to be found in iTube and upcoming iTube2.

LL

The whole line-out processing implements a Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF from here-on) that is designed to correct standard microphone recordings played back on speakers. Said process for headphones also implements a HRTF, yet designed to correct standard microphone recordings played back on them.

This needs to be taken into account when using iFi products that incorporate the 3D-Matrix. To conclude, the line/speaker outputs always have the speakers version of the 3D-Matrix applied, while headphone output is always equipped with the headphone version of said tech.

LL

As both speaker and headphone versions have a nature that is nearly (but not completely) mirror imaged, 3D effects should be disabled when using the line out to drive a headphone amplifier or using headphone adapters on speaker outputs.

My Micro iDSD BL has 500 hours of burn in on it at this point and we did some A/B comparison with the Nano today in the home system. To keep it short, the difference was not small with a significant improvement with the BL over the Nano in all areas.

The BL takes a long time to burn in and it doesn't seem to be complete even at 500 hours to my ears. Give it time and you will be rewarded. It's a keeper for us and easily better than the Aqua La Scala Mk II we demo'd in the same system recently.

I'll ask the question a second time. For those of us with a single ended only system, is the BL as good as it is going to get with iFi using this chip set or will the iDSD Pro still better it for SE use only?