IGNORED

CA CMS (Content Management System) Feedback

Hi Guys - I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the current content management system / forum software due to some bugs that are popping up, lack of continued support for the version we are using, lock of a decent upgrade option for the version we are using, and many other behind the scenes items.

We are using vBulletin because it has a CMS and forum integrated into the same software package. This enables us to publish the front page articles, blogs and use the forum with the same usernames and be able to comment on articles with the same username.

i've been researching possible replacement packages, but remain frustrated by the lack of a really good solution. Some software like Xenforo offers only a user forum, while other software like Wordpress offers only a CMS (bbPress is a forum plugin that may work).

I guess what I'd like to hear from everyone is what's important to you in a software package that may be selected, if we decide to make a change.

I know that may sound pretty open ended and a little inside baseball to most folks, but I'm sure some of you have opinions on this stuff or maybe even some experience with CMS / forum software. All feedback and opinions are welcome.

Is an iOS / Android app important?

Are extensive forum features important or is standard / reading posting enough?

P.S. Excuse me if this is a little unorganized, but my frustration with this software is high today. I started looking into moving to HTTPS from HTTP because Apple requires it and Google ranks HTTPS sites higher etc... and I ran into more roadblocks :~(

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

You may need to split off the CMS and forum software and pick one that does each really well. BTW WordPress is hopelessly broke IMO.

Have you looked at WIX to see what they offer on CMS?

That's my fear. Splitting them means two sites, double the users, double the administration, etc...

I looked at WIX a while ago, but not seriously. I will check out now.

Thanks @plissken

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

That's my fear. Splitting them means two sites, double the users, double the administration, etc...

I looked at WIX a while ago, but not seriously. I will check out now.

Thanks @plissken

IMO the only decent forum software out there is Xenforo. Pick your poison at this point in time. Reach out to Audioholics as they use Xenforo.

I know vBulletin isn't an option for many. Especially with the security incident they had happen recently.

IMO the only decent forum software out there is Xenforo. Pick your poison at this point in time. Reach out to Audioholics as they use Xenforo.

I know vBulletin isn't an option for many. Especially with the security incident they had happen recently.

Yeah, Xenforo looks to be really good. vB is a real pain and getting worse. I have some major upgrades to do to vB and I just don't know if it's worth continuing to fight it and cross my fingers that it works.

Check this out, see if it's usable for you, how it looks on mobile, etc.:

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/170-a-fresh-makeover-vivaldi-forum-gets-a-new-look

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.