IGNORED

Exogal drops the other shoe . . .

I'm not in the market for new gear, but if and when I start to look, I'll seek out Exogal based on what I've read here.

One of the "smart choices" I'll be making from here on out is to support domestic businesses with humane and long-term focus, and who are proud to wear that on their sleeves. That's the real unicorn as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

• 4 weeks later...

Following up on my #20 post regarding the Comet Plus where I wrote in part, "If it continues to improve I'll be whatever surpasses delighted". Well, it has and I am.

I've had it for 30 days and as of today (about 200 hours) it's performing at a level beyond what I had hoped for. There were ups (including a gain increase) and downs along the way but as of now, direct to amp, music is just flowing and exploding.

Good to hear @Dicky. I popped for an Ion and sold my class D amp at the same power rating. Am delighted by the result. This is a seriously clean combination, just as @Cyrus reports. Huge improvement in the low frequencies, plus absolute precision in midrange and highs. I'm done--really, for many years. Thanks Exogal and @jhaagenstad, I look forward to the occasion FPGA-driven improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 1 month later...

Here is a recent review of the Ion from Poland, in which the CEO goes into unusual depth about the concept, technology, and workings of a true PowerDAC.

High Fidelity

Interestingly, in the next (earlier) review below, the reviewer seems a bit miffed that Jeff H. wasn't willing to share details about what's under the hood.

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Exogal Ion PowerDAC

As for my own review: I'm still delighted with the purchase and love the way it renders classical music on my tiny speakers in a small office space. I'd liken it to Northshore #11 Gin. Smooth, crisp, well-defined, and very refined. They get along very well together, too.

Yeah... he wasn't very happy with me. We'd be fairly stupid to reveal how we do what we do. They didn't like that answer...

Jeff, I always find your posts refreshingly honest, even at your own risk.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

• 5 weeks later...

Audio has taken a backseat since November. The house renovation has taken on a life of it's own...but we are finally in our new home, despite on-going work.

I recently got started on setting up the main audio / media room.

Picked up a pair of Tekton Design Double Impacts with the internal upgrade.

The Comet - Ion combo is driving them with a direct from pc Tidal feed to the USB input on the Comet (no Roon or USB stream optimization in the chain).

The pairing (Exogal - Tekton) sounds terrific!

I still need to A / B to get a more detailed and nuanced feel for the Exogal combination. Since the new room will also double as an HT room, I'm considering some new gear...so there will be a lot of interesting combinations to work through.

For those that may be considering Exogal, I strongly recommend considering the Comet Plus - Ion component pairing.

• 4 months later...
On 13/4/2017 at 3:27 PM, Cyrus said:

Audio has taken a backseat since November. The house renovation has taken on a life of it's own...but we are finally in our new home, despite on-going work.

I recently got started on setting up the main audio / media room.

Picked up a pair of Tekton Design Double Impacts with the internal upgrade.

The Comet - Ion combo is driving them with a direct from pc Tidal feed to the USB input on the Comet (no Roon or USB stream optimization in the chain).

The pairing (Exogal - Tekton) sounds terrific!

I still need to A / B to get a more detailed and nuanced feel for the Exogal combination. Since the new room will also double as an HT room, I'm considering some new gear...so there will be a lot of interesting combinations to work through.

For those that may be considering Exogal, I strongly recommend considering the Comet Plus - Ion component pairing.

Hi, were you able to do any A/B comparsison?

thanks