I have come across some interesting information in my effort to have my defective KR Audio 2a3 tube replaced under warranty. First, during the past 12 months both North American authorized distributors of KR audio tubes have dropped the product line. I was told that ever since Mr. Kron passed away a few years ago, the quality of the tubes had deteriorated and that there were too many problems requiring replacements. One source speculated that the company will be out of business within the next 12 months.

Second, since there is no one to help me here in the U.S., I have been attempting to contact KR Audio in the Czech Republic, but I have yet to receive any acknowledgement. My dealer in Turkey, who I know is reputable, has been unwilling or unable to step in. In other words, I am receiving no support and my warranty is useless.

The bottom line: I have wasted $700 and am moving on. I put my Sophia Princesses back in my amplifier, and they sound very nice even though they are slightly less detailed and open than the KRs. The difference is minimal. On the plus side, the Princesses have the benefit of a lower noise floor and cost only half as much as the KRs.

I encourage everyone to avoid KR Audio products. There are a sufficient number of good alternatives that come without the quality problems, extra expense, and hassle. KR Audio is no longer a reputable company.

A very long time ago I purchased some mesh plate type 300B tubes made by Kron. They were beautiful and sounded great. They did not last. This was at least 20 years ago.

The US supplier I purchased from was a little suspect also, one tube had small glass slag inside. Made me wonder about the QC. The dealer said it was "normal".

I heard later that the quality had improved.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.