IGNORED

dCS Network Bridge

r_w

6 hours ago, Beolab said:

mCONNECT player ( Full version ) can play MQA files , but cannot unfold them, but maybe a FW update will fix this. 

Other than that the mConnect got slight, slight better sound than the dCS App in my opinion. 

It doesn't do unfolding because it is Control Point and not involved with the actual audio data... Unfolding should be at the Renderer side if wanted...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

It doesn't do unfolding because it is Control Point and not involved with the actual audio data... Unfolding should be at the Renderer side if wanted...

Yes, i know the controlling apps is just like a remote control, and it is the renderer that take care of the streaming source, but please compare, i cant understad why it sounds slightly diffrent ( slight higher vol)  , so i thaught it could have something to do with the digital volume, but as you pointed out it cant be @AMP 

Okey, so why does not the dCS NB unfold it then , it just play the file as 24/48, and if i play the same file with the NB App it unfold it to 24/96, but the native resolution is 24/192 , so the NB doese only unfold it to its first degree , why is that @AMP ? 

@AMP

AirPlay 2 was released yesterday, in  iOS 11.4 , so will this also implemend in the next summer FW upgrade for the NB, so we can use the NB as a multiroom product , even if you don't have subscribe to Roon. 

This will most probably gain the sales for the NB in my oppinion if it supported AirPlay 2 . 

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the Network Bridge with a decent external master clock.  I recall that a while ago @mecani posted some very positive words with respect to running the NB with a Mutec REF10 / MC3+USB providing word clock input.  I already own the REF10 and MC3+USB, so this would be possible for me.  I was just wondering if there was any other experience out there?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:56 PM, Beolab said:

Thanks for your answers, then i looking forward for the summer release for a more stabile product without the crashes and minor bugs. 

I also have a quest about Tidal in NB app, that it should be great if you just type in Song name in the search bar , and start play that song, that it should be possible to go to that song’s album so you can listen to the whole album.

Today you have to look at the album cover and search by the artists all album, and then play it. 

About the ”Voicing” i think it would be possible for you guys to tweak the FPGA slightly in the upcoming summer release, that would score many points in my book if you just made that effort to perfect it even more. Nothing huge thoug, just slight more weight, and it should be a ”killer” renderer. 

Hi Beolab, 

It would be of great interest and value knowing what you impressions are since you has the Aurender and Innous, which you refer as weightier sounding. 

Is there a distinct different sonic between the different brands besides the others being weightier. 

Might help Dcs having your view in particular of strengths and weakness between these different units, as Dcs may not have had the opportunity to compare and test in their development of the FPGA in the NB. 

For those interested. I have a dCS Network Bridge in my system for a few weeks now and I am loving it. Came from a microRendu/LPS-1/JS-2 and also compared it to a friends ultraRendu/LPS-1.2 in combination with my JS-2.

In the end it wasn't really a comparison exercise. It soon became clear to us that the NB is in another class. While yes, the ultraRendu is a substantial step up from my microRendu (with 1.3 board), the gap between the ultraRendu and NB is even more substantial. Both Sonore products have fatiguing aspects to my ears and these are completely absent with the NB. There is an ease in system, just wonderful! Add to that better layering, more body in combination with lesser congestion, more resolution and a very balanced soundscape and you understand why I am very, very happy at the moment.

The NB is connected to my DAC (Chord DAVE) with single AES (Transparant premium). I understand from others that dual AES could lead to even better results. During comparisons the rendu's where connected to DAVE via a Curious USB cable.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

On 5/19/2018 at 12:22 AM, paulmckwan said:

Hi all I've place an order for NB on 20 April in Hong Kong and still pending for it, hope that the Munich show will not cause delay for my order :/

Still pending for my NB delivery, my local dealer says the supply is tight across the globe and estimate mine will arrive in July.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:38 AM, skatbelt said:

For those interested. I have a dCS Network Bridge in my system for a few weeks now and I am loving it. Came from a microRendu/LPS-1/JS-2 and also compared it to a friends ultraRendu/LPS-1.2 in combination with my JS-2.

In the end it wasn't really a comparison exercise. It soon became clear to us that the NB is in another class. While yes, the ultraRendu is a substantial step up from my microRendu (with 1.3 board), the gap between the ultraRendu and NB is even more substantial. Both Sonore products have fatiguing aspects to my ears and these are completely absent with the NB. There is an ease in system, just wonderful! Add to that better layering, more body in combination with lesser congestion, more resolution and a very balanced soundscape and you understand why I am very, very happy at the moment.

The NB is connected to my DAC (Chord DAVE) with single AES (Transparant premium). I understand from others that dual AES could lead to even better results. During comparisons the rendu's where connected to DAVE via a Curious USB cable.

Yes, do try the Dual AES when you can, and set the Dual AES Sample Rate setting to 88.2K (this recommendation from dCS).

3 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Yes, do try the Dual AES when you can, and set the Dual AES Sample Rate setting to 88.2K (this recommendation from dCS).

I will definitely try this. My Chord DAVE does accept dual digital input but unfortunately only over BNC so I have to use AES 110 Ohm to BNC 75 Ohm adapters (Neutrik?) to make it work. Don't know if introducing these adapters negatively compensate for the potential quality gain.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

4 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

I will definitely try this. My Chord DAVE does accept dual digital input but unfortunately only over BNC so I have to use AES 110 Ohm to BNC 75 Ohm adapters (Neutrik?) to make it work. Don't know if introducing these adapters negatively compensate for the potential quality gain.

The Neutric 110 Ohm AES - 75 Ohm BNC works perfect, and you cant diatinglish any diffrence at all, i can garantee, i got a pair myself. 

@Darryl R

why do think dCS recomend downsample higher res signals to  88.2 khz , is to to perform better or? 

1 minute ago, Beolab said:

The Neutric 110 Ohm AES - 75 Ohm BNC works perfect, and you cant diatinglish any diffrence at all, i can garantee, i got a pair myself. 

@Darryl R

why do think dCS recomend downsample higher res signals to  88.2 khz , is to to perform better or? 

It's actually not a downsampling, but the rate at which the duality kicks in.  Perhaps the name is a bit misleading.

19 minutes ago, Beolab said:

@Darryl R

Which BNC cables do you use/recommend and should the length be as short as possible?

33 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

It's actually not a downsampling, but the rate at which the duality kicks in.  Perhaps the name is a bit misleading.

Then i am with you, below 88,2 it output only on one AES not dual use. 

For non dual AES us it is better to set it at 192 or higher rate. 

16 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Which BNC cables do you use/recommend and should the length be as short as possible?

Actually you should go for mium 1.5 meters on AES and minimum 1,5 meters for the BNC to not get reflections in the cabel, to have as low jitter as possible. 

You should use a BNC that got true 75 Ohm plugs and a pro cabel . 

Depending on your budjet but Apogee Wide Eye BNC with Canarare plugs is studio grade cable wich is a great choice, you can find a seller on Ebay. 

Or the Canarare 12 Ghz 4k BNC is another great choice. 

Use the Canare AES also is my recommendation to start with. 

If you want to go high end then the MIT Cabels Oracle AES / BNC , the new SOtm BNC , crystal cabel , Nordost , Kimber , Esoteric , Clearer Audio ( i got a great discount at Clearer Audio cabels from Darren if you are interested then i can e-mail him just) 

13 hours ago, Beolab said:

Then i am with you, below 88,2 it output only on one AES not dual use. 

For non dual AES us it is better to set it at 192 or higher rate. 

Right, their point for dual AES is to take advantage of the lower jitter feature as much as possible if your DAC supports it.

I have a question for anyone familiar with the Vivaldi Upsampler.  If I recall, one pitch for the NBR is that it provides interfacing capability for those who can't afford the entire stack of dCS components (which is most of us).  Upsampling aside, is there anything else the Vivaldi Upsampler provides which the NBR doesn't, and vice versa.

56 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

I have a question for anyone familiar with the Vivaldi Upsampler.  If I recall, one pitch for the NBR is that it provides interfacing capability for those who can't afford the entire stack of dCS components (which is most of us).  Upsampling aside, is there anything else the Vivaldi Upsampler provides which the NBR doesn't, and vice versa.

I think you said it in your question - Upsampling aside. 

As far as I am aware, there is no difference in the basic functionality.  That said, I did have two demonstrations of the Upsampler a couple of years ago, this was with a Devialet D800.  In one demonstration the Upsampler was being fed 16/44.1 material, upsampling to DSD, and feeding this to the Devialet that will accept DSD64, but converts to PCM for it's ADH core.  This made no sense to me, and I thought it would sound better upsampling to PCM.  I was wrong, It sounded utterly sensational upsampling to DSD, and definitely ahead of upsampling to PCM.  At home, I can feed my Devialet DSD using HQPlayer, and although this sounds good, it does loose a little in dynamics and bass accuracy versus PCM.  With the dCS Upsampler everything sounds good, every aspect of the performance.  At the time I had listened to the D800 with the Aurender N10, Aurender W20, Melco N1Z, CAD CAT and others.  Nothing sounded as good as the Upsampler.  If it was a little cheaper I would buy one, but £16K for something in what is a fast developing product category is just a bit too steep for me.  It is good though!  So yes, it is just the upsampling, but dCS's upsampling is very special indeed.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

20 hours ago, Beolab said:

Actually you should go for mium 1.5 meters on AES and minimum 1,5 meters for the BNC to not get reflections in the cabel, to have as low jitter as possible. 

You should use a BNC that got true 75 Ohm plugs and a pro cabel . 

Depending on your budjet but Apogee Wide Eye BNC with Canarare plugs is studio grade cable wich is a great choice, you can find a seller on Ebay. 

Or the Canarare 12 Ghz 4k BNC is another great choice. 

Use the Canare AES also is my recommendation to start with. 

If you want to go high end then the MIT Cabels Oracle AES / BNC , the new SOtm BNC , crystal cabel , Nordost , Kimber , Esoteric , Clearer Audio ( i got a great discount at Clearer Audio cabels from Darren if you are interested then i can e-mail him just) 

Thx. Currently (in my single setup) I use a Transparent premium 1.5m AES/EBU. I also tried a Oyaide DR-510 1.3m RCA out from Network Bridge to BNC in on Chord DAVE but prefer the Transparent by quiet a margin.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:18 PM, stevebythebay said:

I only see one place to increase/lower volume in the dCS app and that appears to be in the lower right corner of the player.  It's at the extreme of 0.0 db.  I'm assuming that's the only way to "disengage" the volume.  Is that the correct place?  That's the only volume reference in the dCS NB manual that I can find.

Did one last thing: disabled Volume Leveling.  That was the missing piece.  I can now have the dCS NM perform the first unfold and the Berkeley DAC render.  Both MQA indicators, dCS app and Berkeley LED are showing the corresponding info.

I had been using my old tried and true Madrigal MDC-1 AES cable (1.5m) into the Debussy from my CD transport and was pretty happy.  I got a very nice custom headphone cable that uses a ViaBlue 1/4” plug and stumbled upon their AES cable that is cheap compared to most, so thought I would try it.  Very pleasantly surprised!  Around US$150 and shipped from Germany inexpensively.  They are on eBay. 

On 5/9/2018 at 11:18 PM, stevebythebay said:

I only see one place to increase/lower volume in the dCS app and that appears to be in the lower right corner of the player.  It's at the extreme of 0.0 db.  I'm assuming that's the only way to "disengage" the volume.  Is that the correct place?  That's the only volume reference in the dCS NB manual that I can find.

Did one last thing: disabled Volume Leveling.  That was the missing piece.  I can now have the dCS NM perform the first unfold and the Berkeley DAC render.  Both MQA indicators, dCS app and Berkeley LED are showing the corresponding info.

You mentioned you disabled the volume , but you where refering to another product or In Roon than the the NWB i can assume, because it only got the vol.pot unfortenatly in the NwB app. 

No possibillty to turn it off unfortunately.   

Are You convinced?

I was. By the time I placed an order for mine I was told function would be activated in near future.

We need to keep a faith looking at the photo.

I think dcs was a little bit in hurry with release of "golden fish" postponing such feature, or they didn't plan that most of customers would be non dcs crew.

I believe that update will arrive soon or hopefully at least by the end of this year.