IGNORED

Mapleshade Bedrock Speaker Stands

Following @Chris request, I have mode the discussion here.

First the Paradigm Active 40 is a 2.5-way design with three drivers which are it impossible to physically time align without re-designing the front baffle:

2e3bh8k.png

The second problem is that even with a 2-way speaker you will have to adjust the tilt so that the time alignment hits exactly the height of your ears at the listening spot; you can't just tilt the speakers at will (the angle varies depending on listening spot distance and height):

3.png

This image was borrowed from a review of the Ascendo System F speakers which have an adjustable tweeter module:

ascendo-system-f-hth-2.jpg

ascendo-system-f-hth-3.jpg

source: Test Ascendo System F Lautsprecher - Testbericht - fairaudio

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The third problem comes from placing standmount speakers on the floor, which has a considerable negative effect in the tonal balance at the listening spot, whatever the room.

The following measurements were made in-room with a standmount speaker placed in 1. the optimal position (height, width, depth), in 2. a corner position (same height as 1.) and on 3. the floor (same width, depth as 1.).

In the last graph I have overlapped the optimal position curve in red so that one can see how much floor placement affects (negatively) the response of the speaker:

16kdi7t.png

R

Mapleshade makes many types of unique stands, if the bedrock stands don't work in your system maybe another one will. I know you don't read reviews so I just posted a link to their website. Remember, 30 day risk free audition and talk to the owner Pierre, he will answer all your questions and likely recommend something appropriate for your system:

Quality Stands For Any Speaker: Subwoofers, Computer Speakers, Wireless Speakers, Loudspeakers

Maybe something like this would be better for you although Pierre insists the bedrock stands have better SQ:

Butress-DEPT.jpg

If Pierre insists Bedrocks have better sound then there's no point in talking to him; he's clueless...

R

If Pierre insists Bedrocks have better sound then there's no point in talking to him; he's clueless...

R

I can see why you never read reviews, because you don't know how to write them either. The general formula goes like this:

1) Audition a product

2) Form an opinion about your experience

3) Publish your opinion

You may want to rethink this the next time you write a review and remember to include step 1. Chris has a lot of reviews on this site you can use for examples. Doh! That's right, you don't read reviews (which may be why you didn't know those 3 steps)

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't want to stir the pot but...

A lot of folks here swear by Mapleshade products. I don't own any, so I'm not going to comment on their effectiveness, but I do think that, reading their website, they hype their stuff more than almost any other "audiophile" dealer out there.

They sell rubber-and-cork "Isoblock 2S" anti-vibration pads for $40/set of 8. The funny thing is that you can buy the exact same product for 68¢ each from a HVAC supply house:

Product - DiversiTech

A lot of folks here swear by Mapleshade products. I don't own any, so I'm not going to comment on their effectiveness, but I do think that, reading their website, they hype their stuff more than almost any other "audiophile" dealer out there.

They sell rubber-and-cork "isoblocks" for $40/set of 8. The funny thing is that you can buy the exact same product for 68¢ each from a HVAC supply house:

Product - DiversiTech

That's a good find, thanks. I have tried shopping for maple boards to try DIY before without much success. Seems like everything I find is either kiln dried not air dried or is around the same price. I tried getting a maple cutting board once as an amp platform but iy really didn't so anything compared to the platforms I use from them for my amp, center channel, etc.

They sell rubber-and-cork "Isoblock 2S" anti-vibration pads for $40/set of 8. The funny thing is that you can buy the exact same product for 68¢ each from a HVAC supply house:

Product - DiversiTech

You're not wrong - I own and like Mapleshade products, but the skeptic in me goes on high alert when I visit their website.

With regard to prices, Amazon charges 5 bucks for pads you can get for around 80 cents at that supplier, so knowledge is definitely power with these. On the other hand, the USB cable I bought from Mapleshade sounds a lot better to me at half the price than the Audioquest Coffee it replaced. So it's very much a mixed bag.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

R

Some would say the same of someone who suggests mounting speakers/stands on casters. :) (I actually heard an expensive pair of B&W speakers mounted on casters once. I still shudder at the recollection.)

Pierre may say some things that are controversial and may like all of us occasionally be wrong. But he is quite the opposite of clueless.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Some would say the same of someone who suggests mounting speakers/stands on casters. :) (I actually heard an expensive pair of B&W speakers mounted on casters once. I still shudder at the recollection.)

Pierre may say some things that are controversial and may like all of us occasionally be wrong. But he is quite the opposite of clueless.

Come on, Jud. You're not being serious.

If Chris is using temporary stands that are heavy casters make sense.

Unless you think that all standmounts will sound best in the same position.

Did you listen to the BnWs without the casters?

Perhaps the shuddering wasn't caused by the casters... ;)

The Bedrocks are complete nonsense.

I have explained why in the first two posts.

R

If you start a new thread about aeroplanes I will tell you, for now let's just stay on the topic of this thread, mapleshade speaker stands, thanks.

BTW, Pierre can definitely answer any questions you have about aeroplace design too:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Aboutus.asp

This is "my" thread though, I am entitled to use the planes analogy if you don't mind. :)

As mentioned, I have no interest whatsoever on what Pierrot has to say...

Sorry if that doesn't make you happy.

R

This is "my" thread though, I am entitled to use the planes analogy if you don't mind. :)

As mentioned, I have no interest whatsoever on what Pierrot has to say...

Sorry if that doesn't make you happy.

R

Every one of your posts are an analogy because you lack any experience with this product. In your own words that means you are:

Clueless - definition of clueless by The Free Dictionary

what is the supposed benefit of a wooden stand?

if you believe in something hard enough it will come true

Every one of your posts are an analogy because you lack any experience with this product. In your own words that means you are:

Clueless - definition of clueless by The Free Dictionary

Obviously the aeroplane analogy didn't do a good job at explaining why the Bedrocks don't work but I've found another one that'll do the trick:

square_bike_wheel.jpg

They say that an image is worth 1000 words... I wonder if that applies to reviews?

R

Come on, Jud. You're not being serious.

If Chris is using temporary stands that are heavy casters make sense.

Unless you think that all standmounts will sound best in the same position.

Did you listen to the BnWs without the casters?

Perhaps the shuddering wasn't caused by the casters... ;)

The Bedrocks are complete nonsense.

I have explained why in the first two posts.

R

Yep, I'm serious in saying Pierre, an aeronautical engineer responsible for Defense Department fighter jet programs before decades as a producer of well thought of recordings, is not clueless. (You might want to listen to some of the recordings he's produced. I have a feeling you might like some of them.) His experience of listening to live music is significantly greater than any of ours.

As I said, this doesn't prevent him from being wrong occasionally. But completely clueless from the outset, I don't think so.

By the way, measurements of speakers sitting on the floor have a couple of things in common with speakers on casters that result in very bad sound; at least two of these things are not shared by the Bedrocks. What these might be are left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Yep, I'm serious in saying Pierre, an aeronautical engineer responsible for Defense Department fighter jet programs before decades as a producer of well thought of recordings, is not clueless. (You might want to listen to some of the recordings he's produced. I have a feeling you might like some of them.) His experience of listening to live music is significantly greater than any of ours.

As I said, this doesn't prevent him from being wrong occasionally. But completely clueless from the outset, I don't think so.

By the way, measurements of speakers sitting on the floor have a couple of things in common with speakers on casters that result in very bad sound; at least two of these things are not shared by the Bedrocks. What these might be are left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Taxi drivers are also professional, experienced drivers but that doesn't mean they're better drivers than any of us... Apples to oranges.

This thread is about the Bedrocks but I gave a quick look at the site and saw a few traces of snake oil lying about.

Won't comment on the recordings which I didn't listen to and which are not the subject of the thread.

About the casters, I wonder if you would have the same opinion in an ABX... :)

R

There's something about out of the ordinary stuff that's irresistible to a lot of audiophiles.

Stand out from the crowd, make something different, even a complete absurdity, and there'll be people wanting to try it out.

Good for business...

R

Hoffman-pic-1.jpg

Taxi drivers are also professional, experienced drivers but that doesn't mean they're better drivers than any of us... Apples to oranges.

This thread is about the Bedrocks but I gave a quick look at the site and saw a few traces of snake oil lying about.

Won't comment on the recordings which I didn't listen to and which are not the subject of the thread.

About the casters, I wonder if you would have the same opinion in an ABX... :)

R

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M1a48b484dc82614518fc132dbf065586o2%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

I think you should comment on the recordings too. You never listened to the stands and that didn't stop you,why would you need to listen to the recordings? You are on a roll keep going:)

If you don't understand why up-mixing a good two channel recording of classical music will ruin spatial cues and timbre, or why placing standmounts on the floor will make a mess of tonal balance and imaging then there's no point in prolonging this discussion.

We have different objectives and different requirements.

Mine is to reproduce the recorded signal as accurately as possible.

If there are blatant are technical reasons, such as those I've described for the Bedrocks, that affect performance negatively then there's absolutely no need to listen to an equipment or accessory, just as it isn't necessary to drive a car with square wheels to know it won't move.

Audio is first and foremost about science.

R

P. S. I might listen to Mapleshade's recording if they are free and the music interests me and if this happens I will start a new topic dedicated to that subject. This is not the place to do it.

If you don't understand why up-mixing a good two channel recording of classical music will ruin spatial cues and timbre, or why placing standmounts on the floor will make a mess of tonal balance and imaging then there's no point in prolonging this discussion.

We have different objectives and different requirements.

Mine is to reproduce the recorded signal as accurately as possible.

If there are blatant are technical reasons, such as those I've described for the Bedrocks, that affect performance negatively then there's absolutely no need to listen to an equipment or accessory, just as it isn't necessary to drive a car with square wheels to know it won't move.

Audio is first and foremost about science.

R

P. S. I might listen to Mapleshade's recording if they are free and the music interests me and if this happens I will start a new topic dedicated to that subject. This is not the place to do it.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M8d134291922e0ae90076cc1f0fa66d4aH1%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

It seems you aren't very happy with my "analogy":(

semente, in the amount of time it has taken you to make this thread you could have "gotten a clue". I tend to avoid writing reviews on apple computers, $100K speakers and turntables because I don't own, don't use, and have no interest in any of the above. That is not to say they aren't any good, I just don't use them. I'll leave you now with this thought: