IGNORED

DACs better than the DacMagic?

I suppose I should have set a cut-off price lower than $35,000

Let's say $2,000 - the Mytek Brooklyn is at that price...

Obviously, I wasn't being completely serious. But to just ask what's better is almost impossible to answer. There's a large selection of dac's on the market at all price levels. If they all sounded the same, that wouldn't be the case. Also, you should list your entire system. If you're happy with it, It can give some insight as to what you will like in a dac. For example, I like Ayre products. So, if someone says I like Ayre, I would list Ayre, along with some other brands that are similar like, Wadia, Resolution Audio, Aesthetix, etc.. It would also stop me from recommending brands that sound nothing like Ayre.

I seek accurate reproduction of music. That is what better means to me.

If I need warmth, I can add that later on, down the chain.

Sources:

- ripped CDs on mac mini > iTunes via WiFi from home office to Apple TV in listening room to DAC (tho I might move th enini into the listening room later)

-CDs on Cal Audio Icon with PowerBoss HDCD (will likely be replaced with the new Oppo when it comes out so I can play SACDs, DVD-A and video)

-- I sometimes run the Cal Audio thru the DacMagic but it has a nice DAC itself

Sonic Frontiers Line One pre-amp (see above; it is a tube unit but a very neutral one; I might replace it with a more modern pre-amp with transistors)

Sunfire Cinema Grand bi-amps Maggie 1.5QRs (again likely to be replaced soon with the 1.7i)

Hugo Chord, sounds great with 1.7's. A friend of mine has this set up. It is very musical and has a killer midrange. It is smooth and analog sounding. I considered buying it but settled on a Luxman. If you consider the Chord, take a look at the cheaper 2Qute which is the Hugo without the headphone amp and some say it sounds better than the Hugo. The Exogal Comet as previously mentioned is an excellent DAC, very transparent and holographic. But you need the upgraded power supply which cost $500 to get the best out of the Comet. I did a review of a finished prototype with my Magnepan 1.6's. It is well worth the money. Bryston as mentioned. All their products are top notch and peform well. The BDA 1 was an excellent DAC. A friend of mine ran one with his Magnepan 3.7's but finally replaced it with a PS Audio DSD.

The Marantz NA11s1 is another great sounding DAC. It had the best midrange I have heard in a DAC in my system. The textures of piano and vocals were fabulous. You can sometimes find it on sale a music direct. And I have had the PS Audio DSD, Hugo, Cary Audio 200t and the W4S DSDse with Femto Clock upgrade in my system (too bright and harsh).

Aqua La Voce S2 is another good DAC.6moons audio reviews: Aqua Audio La Voce S2

My Gear- Pass Labs X250, BAT VK-51se, Magnepan 1.6's, Dual Martin Logan subs, Luxman DA-06 DAC with Regen, Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport, Thorens TD-145 TT, Cardas Parsec and AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR's

Cambridge Audio have been building budget DACs for years, they know what they are doing at the price point. The original DAC Magic really made everyone go 'wow' when it appeared on the scene.

M-DAC seems to be the go-to DAC these days at a low price. Probably hard to go wrong with either of those.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

Cambridge Audio have been building budget DACs for years, they know what they are doing at the price point. The original DAC Magic really made everyone go 'wow' when it appeared on the scene.

I am beginning to get that impression.

Here is the list of < $2,000 so far...

Audiolab M-DAC

Lampizator Amber

Musical Fidelity M1 - $600

The M1 is by far the least spendy. I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the Mytek Brooklyn.

I am likely to buy the new Oppo player when it is introduced, and at first will just run things thru its DAC. Then A/B that with outboard DACs to see what can add a significant benefit.

I seek accurate reproduction of music. That is what better means to me.

If I need warmth, I can add that later on, down the chain.

Sources:

- ripped CDs on mac mini > iTunes via WiFi from home office to Apple TV in listening room to DAC (tho I might move th enini into the listening room later)

-CDs on Cal Audio Icon with PowerBoss HDCD (will likely be replaced with the new Oppo when it comes out so I can play SACDs, DVD-A and video)

-- I sometimes run the Cal Audio thru the DacMagic but it has a nice DAC itself

Sonic Frontiers Line One pre-amp (see above; it is a tube unit but a very neutral one; I might replace it with a more modern pre-amp with transistors)

Sunfire Cinema Grand bi-amps Maggie 1.5QRs (again likely to be replaced soon with the 1.7i)

Hi Ralf11,

I rip my CDs on my MacBook Pro > iTunes as well. I transferred all my CD rips and hi-res downloads into my Pono player with Audioquest Nighthawk 'phones. But I had to chime in when I read about your California Audio Labs ICON CD player. That was a sweet CD player -- you're a lucky guy!

Audiolab M-DAC

Lampizator Amber

The M1 is by far the least spendy. I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the Mytek Brooklyn.

I am likely to buy the new Oppo player when it is introduced, and at first will just run things thru its DAC. Then A/B that with outboard DACs to see what can add a significant benefit.

As well as a few DAC's, I have an Oppo BDP 103D. It's a lot of kit for the money. I'm sure you could pick up one for $600 somewhere. Good all-round piece of kit and a great centerpiece for any budget system.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

I tried the BDP103 vs. my Cal Audio (on redbook CDs) and if it was better, the difference was extremely subtle. So I sent it back. I am still interested in a universal player; hence the forecasted trial of a newer Oppo.

The Cal Audio will likely find its way to the bedroom system. I have to say I was surprised that it did so well vs. a 15 years newer high quality player.

My goal is to have a budget system that sounds like a LOT more...

I would go the used route for a good DAC. I have seen Auralic Vega's for around $2200 and Hugo Chords for about $1500.

Here is a great deal on a Bel Canto 3.5 with VBS-1 for $1895

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-bel-canto-design-dac-3-5-vb-with-vbs-1-2016-10-24-digital-61108-rockford-il--2

And an Ayre QB9

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-ayre-acoustics-qb-9-dsd-2016-10-30-digital-98005-bellevue-wa

My Gear- Pass Labs X250, BAT VK-51se, Magnepan 1.6's, Dual Martin Logan subs, Luxman DA-06 DAC with Regen, Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport, Thorens TD-145 TT, Cardas Parsec and AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR's

Here is another excellent bargain. An Exogal Comet with the upgraded power supply. Normally sold for $3500 with the power supply, selling for $1500. It is a steal at that price and probably better than any others mentioned. It is also a fully functional preamp and has a cell phone app that you can control it with.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-exogal-comet-plus-dac-preamp-black-2016-10-20-digital-06066-vernon-rockville-ct

the ability to use the Emotiva DC-1 would be a plus for me

** can people state if they have auditioned which DAC with which others?

I would suggest the Emotiva DC-1 myself. However, if you plan to keep the preamp you might do as well with the Oppo feeding the pre (I had that pre some years ago). Of course the DC-1 works extremely well as a pre/DAC/headphone amp without short changing any of those functions. Plus for me is the xlr outputs on the DC1. Of course the Mytek and others have that too.

Don't feel obligated to spend more. You gain little if any sound quality. I don't have experience with $10k plus DACs. I do have experience with DACs from $5k and less.

I have heard the Emotiva. One I haven't heard is the Teac 503, but it has a good rep and gains you lots of built in streaming/networking options that might be useful to you. Plus it does very high rate PCM and DSD. I don't consider either extremely important, but there it is if you anticipate those formats in the future.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

"I seek accurate reproduction of music. That is what better means to me."

Now that you've defined better, you need to define accurate. This is very important because everybody defines accurate differently. I know that sounds silly, but I can give you a good example. Your Magnepans (I had the 1.6 & 1.7's, so I can speak from direct experience) in many ways, are not considered accurate at all. They don't measure well. Probably the most notable quality is the frequency response. This is something Magnepan knows about, and will actually give you a resistor to help roll off the highs if its a problem. Its definately not a speaker you would want to use as a monitor in a studio. However, there are a couple of areas where you can make a case for them being accurate. First, is image size/scale. The images that they produce are more lifelike in size than most other speakers. On my Wilson's, for example, it sounds like all the instruments are miniaturized. Second, is bass. They may not play very low, but the trad off is bass that's much more detailed and believable. Its quality over quantity.

Since all components and systems come up way short compared to how music sounds live in the real world, how you define accurate is critically important. If you rely on us for answers here, you'll get honest, well meaning advice, that may be completely wrong for you.

I can tell you that all the DAC's that have come across my system sound markedly different. I have had the Hugo, Cary Audio 200t, Exogal Comet, PS Audio DSD, W4S DSDse with Femto upgrade, IFI, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, AVA Hybrid tube DAC. and Marantz NA11s1. Each had their own unique sound. I have also heard other DAC's compared to the Auralic Vega and Exasound. The rest of your system has to be up to snuff along with quality recordings and music player. In my system, usb cables sound markedly different. I don't buy into the belief that most DAC's sound the same and that cheap DAC's sound as good as expensive DAC's. We did a shoot out with the Comet, Bryston BDA, W4S and ifi in a high end system. They all sounded different and the ifi sounded like crap in comparison to the other DAC's. I am not saying the ifi sounded bad but in comparison it sounded very midfi. Less detail. air and resolution, smaller sound stage and depth with less texture.

The best DAC's that I have heard are the Bricasti, PS Audio DSD, Luxman DA-06, Marantz NA11s1, Exogal Comet, Hugo Chord, Bryston BDA-1,Vega. Cary Audio 200t and W4S in that order. I heard a Lampi but had nothing to compare it to. I also own an AQ DF and it can't hold a candle to any of those DAC's. In general with the exception of the Cary which cost $4K, the order that I named the best sounding DAC's was also in descending price.

Audiolab M-DAC

Lampizator Amber

it pays to do your homework...

The Darko DAC (and digital transport) Index | DAR__KO

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I would suggest the Emotiva DC-1 myself. However, if you plan to keep the preamp you might do as well with the Oppo feeding the pre (I had that pre some years ago). Of course the DC-1 works extremely well as a pre/DAC/headphone amp without short changing any of those functions. Plus for me is the xlr outputs on the DC1. Of course the Mytek and others have that too.

Don't feel obligated to spend more. You gain little if any sound quality. I don't have experience with $10k plus DACs. I do have experience with DACs from $5k and less.

I have heard the Emotiva. One I haven't heard is the Teac 503, but it has a good rep and gains you lots of built in streaming/networking options that might be useful to you. Plus it does very high rate PCM and DSD. I don't consider either extremely important, but there it is if you anticipate those formats in the future.

Need to spend 10K plus, I like the Totaldac range for example. Michael Lavorgnia over on Audiostram.com has heard most DAC's and only really seems to like, Totaldac, DCS, Lampizator and Musica Pristina, all of which over 10K...