IGNORED

Looking For Speaker Stands

Wow, who knew that speaker stands could be so controversial!

I think the surprise would have been if they hadn't.

Folks need to remember this is Chris, not some newbie. You can just point him to something you think is interesting, and he's well capable of evaluating it himself.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Chris, you could always ask for their four figure stands that go with them. Unless their computer speakers.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

You are talking to me about guessing while you prattle away with opinions you made up without ever having auditioned the product? I have both types of stands and am telling the OP the traditional ones are fine for convenience and the bedrock stands for better SQ. You don't have a clue what you are talking about because you have not compared. I think you are just trolling Semente, goodbye.

I don't think that's the case. The info you provided is not complete, and in some ways, not clear.

"Another way to introduce physical time-alignment without having to physically shift the tweeter backwards is to tilt the speaker itself upwards (or have the front-panel sloping instead of vertical). This method will cause the physical on-axis plane itself to be tilted upwards - so it virtually brings the physical plane in line with the required on-axis plane. However, now the listening position is off-axis relative to either driver at all frequencies.[7] This is the simplest of all methods (especially tilting the speaker itself upwards) in that it can be done for any speaker and lends itself more easily to setting up the speakers by trial-and-error."

You got this from Wikipedia. I'm not so sure I would trust them for technical information that needs to be relied on. Tilting the speaker back is shifting the tweeter backwards. They do point out, correctly, that you are now off axis and will most likely need fixing by trial and error. I get all that, but I don't see how you tie it into your next quote. Its just not clear.

"I was amazed...Bedrock speaker stands are about as unconventional as they come yet they are finished beautifully and are far more hidden and less obtrusive than traditional stands...The sonic benefits are immediate...bass was firmer and the midrange and treble seemed to improve and open up considerably. Most surprising however was that the center image and soundstage didnt appear to take part in a sit in, instead remaining front and center and at ear level as if mounted on traditional stands...It was incredible..." - Hometheaterreview.com

OK. I believe them. But the question I have is why did the stands make such a big difference? Is it because they allow you to tilt the speaker to time align it, and then adjust the height to try and mitigate the damage, or is it just a well designed stand that doesn't change the speakers position, but just does what a good stand does? All other things being equal, upgrading to a better quality stand, usually makes a noticeable difference.

There is one last issue I need to point out. You neglected to talk about the most widely used method of time alignment, by far. Almost all speakers, from entry level to very expensive, were designed to time align electrically using the crossover. The reason its so important to your argument, is that you have to assume any non sloped, flat face speaker is time aligned. I love my Vandersteen's, but the designers for other speaker brands aren't fools. (At least most of them). They understand time alignment and address it in their designs. So, when you take a speaker and tilt it back, you need to assume that you are really knocking it out of time alignment, unless you can clearly show that the designer didn't address it at all. In the end, you may like the results better from fooling with the speakers position, but you're really not fixing anything correctly. Its a band aid type fix. If you're happy with the results, that's all that matters. But in a forum like this, I think its important to make the distinction.

"Time-Correcting Speaker Stand"

Do they have a Kickstarter account for Woo-Woo?

It's not woo, it's just a fancy name for something ordinary - setting speakers so that tweeters are a little further back than mids which are a little further back than bass. Many speakers are built this way. If you do it right frequencies are more or less time aligned when they reach your ears, which seems to help imaging.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

as 17629v2 pointed out, this will reduce the sound quality as most good speaker designers have already set back the drivers for tie alignment (at least since the early 1990s)

those stands also put the treble in a very unnatural place - down low; usual practices is to set the treble at about ear ht.

as 17629v2 pointed out, this will reduce the sound quality as most good speaker designers have already set back the drivers for tie alignment (at least since the early 1990s)

those stands also put the treble in a very unnatural place - down low; usual practices is to set the treble at about ear ht.

Of course if you have speakers you don't want to tilt back, you don't use these stands. You'd use others, some of which are available from Mapleshade.

That brings up what to me would be the primary disadvantage of these particular stands for Chris's use, that they aren't really (at least IMO) "one size fits all."

But we're getting buried again in detailed arguments about specific stands. Chris is well able to figure these things out for himself. I'd guess what he needs more of are suggestions about stands that *could* possibly function as "one size fits all."

Of course if you have speakers you don't want to tilt back, you don't use these stands. You'd use others, some of which are available from Mapleshade.

That brings up what to me would be the primary disadvantage of these particular stands for Chris's use, that they aren't really (at least IMO) "one size fits all."

But we're getting buried again in detailed arguments about specific stands. Chris is well able to figure these things out for himself. I'd guess what he needs more of are suggestions about stands that *could* possibly function as "one size fits all."

100% true.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

100% true.

This is why I posted two links, the Sound Anchor stands are the ones most popular in recording studios. I know when you review some manufacturers want you to use the gear that will be typical of "most people" using their product. That is why I included that link, plus they have stands that are adjustable.

Now as for SQ, the Mapleshade stands are truly in another class in my experience but I just posted a review and left it to the OP.

Let me explain. I called mapleshade to order their traditional stand they call a "rooted buttress". It is like a typical speaker stand made of maple. I get the owner on the line, I give him my order and he starts asking me about my speakers, my room, etc. Then he does something I NEVER have happen with any vendor before or since. He started recommending a much lower priced product. He was "down selling" me not "upselling" me. I was as skeptical as you or semente but he told me I could send them back. So how could I say no, less money out of pocket, a guarantee, and he was adamant they were better. Nothing prpared me for what happened next. I had no idea how good my Paradigm Reference Active 40 speakers were until I placed them on those stands. It was improved in every way imaginable. Now they have a brass cone supporting the front of the speaker and you can slide it back and forth to adjust the tilt. It was easy to experiment and find what I liked.

Here is my original review and these stands are still going strong/ Now, you don't have to believe any of this but I am glad I tried them and think any one thinking about stands should compare, just to see how much difference a stand can make:

Mapleshade Bedrock Speaker Stands Review

Hi Guys - I get a few different speakers in for review or to use with other components I have in for review. I'm looking for some good all around speaker stands that can hold a large number of different speakers.

Any suggestions?

Hi Chris:

I have a pair of 26" tall Sound Anchors 3-post stands which I don't use anymore (don't have the speakers that needed stands). They are solid--and heavy--like a rock, and they have large, standard, adjustable/replaceable spikes. I'd sell them to you for a great price, but I am afraid the cross-country shipping cost would sour any deal.

Ciao,

--Alex

Nobody needs to be enlightened in this thread. This isn't a debate forum either. If you want to go back and forth and get deep into the weeds, feel free to do so in your own thread. I'll happily let you guys discuss all you want in another thread.

In all fairness, your first post sets the stage for a debate.

"Hi Guys - I get a few different speakers in for review or to use with other components I have in for review. I'm looking for some good all around speaker stands that can hold a large number of different speakers."

To me, that says you need something versatile, and that means the ability to make adjustments. Its only natural that we would debate features in detail. I light of that, I don't think we went off topic.

I want to be clear in that I'm not telling you what to do here. Its your thread, and you control it. I'm just making an observation, and nothing more.

Audio Advisor Pangea Stands

You don't have to spend a fortune for good stands. I've got a couple sets of these around and they are very rigid. Fill them with steel shot to mass load if desired. Available in a number of different heights currently $100 - $140 a pair depending on height. Not real pretty but not too bad either.

Pangea Audio LS300 All Steel Speaker Stand-Audio Advisor

pgls300_ko_1.jpg

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Speaking of adjustable, I just saw this one - ZAOR ISOSTAND MK2

isostand-1-285x300.jpg

[/quote

These look eminently suitable for your purposes Chris. Thanks for bringing them to attention. I use a pair of the Isoacoustics Aperta stands under my B&W 805S', which are on a 6ft. wooden media unit and found them to improve matters. This combination seems targeted at the recording studio market and may thus be more reasonably priced than some others.

As you will know there is a movement to decouple speakers from their supports and to let them float, rather than rigidly fix them, which is counter intuitive, but which has gained allegiance. This stand combination would enable you to experience it to some degree. The Townshend Audio decoupling stands/devices may be of additional interest in the context, but of their own do not meet your brief.

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Hey Chris,

Do yourself a favor and get the Sound Anchors. Especially look at the adj2. See the picture? Looks like lots of others like Sanus, doesn't it? Except that...

My adj2s weigh at least 120lbs each. They add their special dead filling...these suckers are perfectly dead. They are so dead and strong that I have no concerns about resting my subs (Velodyne DD12+) right on the bases instead of separately coupled to the floor, see my gear photo.

The platforms holding my 40lb ATC mains use a pair of 3/8" bolts and massively thick 1" square steel tubing to secure the 1/4" thick mounting plates. All of their big stands are made to order, and the prices are *very* fair. Want more mass? Done. Any dimension? Done. Mine have side bars (think side-squeezing plates) of my design, built to order, to keep my ATCs from ever being knocked over.

Seriously, you *will* be satisfied. Of course you could get the in-line telescoping types instead of the front-mounting adjs. It's the quality of design, acoustic proficiency, and build that is convincing, truly first-rate. Just call them, you'll see.

Cheers

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Adjustable height stands. I used them when I was an audio dealer. Work well and IMO look great!

8892_1029311730473379_161275440184052671_n.jpg?oh=2f546c631cc2d37f14f45bcf9bd7cfa6&oe=58CC121D10289992_1022281327843086_4092580796649275216_n.jpg?oh=b9d454ae84f5a07142c4ab20ca672c6c&oe=58CBE8B26863_999147473489805_3683073705823048071_n.jpg?oh=9b4e7f2e558f1d54b8178577b46b32fc&oe=588FC91412573898_996493120421907_5977609532782160162_n.jpg?oh=0e44d6f1d3991bc0b3bc91c2acd58191&oe=5898B45C

As for the 'clamping' model I'd recommend checking them out before buying as they change the sound of speakers quite substantially. A controversial stuff IMO.

12249902_969624793108740_7988660773426270528_n.jpg?oh=204c730b3a5239d97337c3820c913610&oe=5895821511035976_966719170065969_2788017997125432649_n.jpg?oh=9def1f91f2a7b33744b3f622dd916d37&oe=5893A0F1

11902511_917145515023335_2291314414779335397_n.jpg?oh=b2a700d690c4b415e91e28e16e96466d&oe=589211EB

10806453_819537351450819_2070064717446881270_n.jpg?oh=f3fcdab5357ab4631dfe74edbae930c4&oe=58922D0B

Ps. Love their spike accessories ..

OOOOOOh

Look at all the purdy jewelry. :)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys - I get a few different speakers in for review or to use with other components I have in for review. I'm looking for some good all around speaker stands that can hold a large number of different speakers.

Any suggestions?

Did you find anything yet?

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet