IGNORED

Looking For Speaker Stands

Hi Guys - I get a few different speakers in for review or to use with other components I have in for review. I'm looking for some good all around speaker stands that can hold a large number of different speakers.

Any suggestions?

For ease of use:

Sound Anchors: Specialty Audio Stands | High-End Home,Professional Studio, and Video | Custom Amplifier Stands, Component Stands, Video Stands, Studio Furniture

for SQ:

Mapleshade Time-Correcting Maple Bedrock Speaker Stands Reviewed

Hi Guys - I get a few different speakers in for review or to use with other components I have in for review. I'm looking for some good all around speaker stands that can hold a large number of different speakers.

Any suggestions?

Whilst tweeter height can be adjusted by tilting the front baffle so that the axis is pointing at the listener's ear, optimal woofer to floor distance can only be achieved with stands that have the correct height.

This means that an all-rounder stand would have to be height adjustable.

I don't think that such stands are available from hi-fi manufacturers but you can try looking into pro-audio gear.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Speaking of adjustable, I just saw this one - ZAOR ISOSTAND MK2

isostand-1-285x300.jpg

I have a pair of these in 24in. I've never needed anything lower except for my Wilson Cubs, but that's a very odd speaker. If you need to go up a little you can always play with the spikes, or put something under the speaker or the stand itself. They can be filled with sand and lead.

https://www.thecableco.com/Product/MR---Maximum-Rigidity-Speaker-Stands

Whilst tweeter height can be adjusted by tilting the front baffle so that the axis is pointing at the listener's ear, optimal woofer to floor distance can only be achieved with stands that have the correct height.

This means that an all-rounder stand would have to be height adjustable.

I don't think that such stands are available from hi-fi manufacturers but you can try looking into pro-audio gear.

R

I posted the sound anchor link, check the Pro page for adjustable stands

http://soundanchors.com/products/pro-audio-dj

I've talked to the Sound Anchors principal (many years ago) and was impressed by the amount of thought that went into his product designs.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I posted the sound anchor link, check the Pro page for adjustable stands

http://soundanchors.com/products/pro-audio-dj

Apparently all of those stands are single column ; I don't think that is a good topology.

The Mapleshades are plain nonsense...

R

Those Zaor stands look pretty nice.

I used to have some Atacama speaker stands that were quite nice and were set up so that you could fill them with sand or some other suitable material that would make them heavy and inert.

I don't know how widely available they are in the US, but they do make some adjustable models - partial adjustability from the feet:

MOSECO 6 speaker stands (Pair)Â*| Atacama Audio UK

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Apparently all of those stands are single column ; I don't think that is a good topology.

The Mapleshades are plain nonsense...

R

I don't know what your experience has been with maplesahde stands but in my system it was as if I upgraded to new speakers, You can see my L and R on the Bedrock stands and my center channel is on the mapleshade isolation system. Stands require no break in and the improvement is immediate. if Chris doesn't like them he can return for a refund, no risk. At the right of the picture you can see my wide channel on the stands that Paradigm designed for these reference speakers. When I switched from Paradigms own stands for their own speakers the difference was still night and day, not even close. I can't use a bedrock stand there for my wide channels because of the table :)

WP_20160819_001.jpg

WP_20160819_004.jpg

What about the stands I recommended? Don't leave me out, I can take your harsh criticism.

:)

The Target stands?

I used a pair with my very first pair of speakers, and also owned one of their equipment racks.

I think they could do with filling but this would make it impractical for this particular application.

R

I don't know what your experience has been with maplesahde stands but in my system it was as if I upgraded to new speakers, You can see my L and R on the Bedrock stands and my center channel is on the mapleshade isolation system. Stands require no break in and the improvement is immediate. if Chris doesn't like them he can return for a refund, no risk. At the right of the picture you can see my wide channel on the stands that Paradigm designed for these reference speakers. When I switched from Paradigms own stands for their own speakers the difference was still night and day, not even close. I can't use a bedrock stand there for my wide channels because of the table :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30201[/ATTACH]

As I have mentioned previously, standmount speakers are supposed to be mounted on stands, not placed on the floor, and each speaker was designed with an exact stand height in mind.

The wrong height will affect frequency response in the lower frequencies, and potentially in the highs as well unless you tilt the front baffle and point the tweeters at your ears.

R

As I have mentioned previously, standmount speakers are supposed to be mounted on stands, not placed on the floor, and each speaker was designed with an exact stand height in mind.

The wrong height will affect frequency response in the lower frequencies, and potentially in the highs as well unless you tilt the front baffle and point the tweeters at your ears.

R

In other words you have never tried mapleshade stands so you just made a bunch of stuff up based on what you "think" you know, got it.

You are so wrong in so many ways I won't bother because I don't even know where to start.

Wait, I know, look up the term "time alignment" and see what you can find out :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_time_alignment

"Another way to introduce physical time-alignment without having to physically shift the tweeter backwards is to tilt the speaker itself upwards (or have the front-panel sloping instead of vertical). This method will cause the physical on-axis plane itself to be tilted upwards - so it virtually brings the physical plane in line with the required on-axis plane. However, now the listening position is off-axis relative to either driver at all frequencies.[7] This is the simplest of all methods (especially tilting the speaker itself upwards) in that it can be done for any speaker and lends itself more easily to setting up the speakers by trial-and-error."

Then read this and actually audition a pair, you may surprise yourself:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maple-Bedrocks/departments/63/

Do you think reviewers just make this stuff up? People who actually auditioned the product?

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: plaintext deptdesc]

"I was amazed...Bedrock speaker stands are about as unconventional as they come yet they are finished beautifully and are far more hidden and less obtrusive than traditional stands...The sonic benefits are immediate...bass was firmer and the midrange and treble seemed to improve and open up considerably. Most surprising however was that the center image and soundstage didnt appear to take part in a sit in, instead remaining front and center and at ear level as if mounted on traditional stands...It was incredible..." - Hometheaterreview.com

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30201[/ATTACH]

Granted. The stands are supposed to raise the speakers off the floor. But unless your stands are dual purpose for audio & pole vaulting, you may be a little too high.

In other words you have never tried mapleshade stands so you just made a bunch of stuff up based on what you "think" you know, got it.

You are so wrong in so many ways I won't bother because I don't even know where to start.

Wait, I know, look up the term "time alignment" and see what you can find out :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_time_alignment

"Another way to introduce physical time-alignment without having to physically shift the tweeter backwards is to tilt the speaker itself upwards (or have the front-panel sloping instead of vertical). This method will cause the physical on-axis plane itself to be tilted upwards - so it virtually brings the physical plane in line with the required on-axis plane. However, now the listening position is off-axis relative to either driver at all frequencies.[7] This is the simplest of all methods (especially tilting the speaker itself upwards) in that it can be done for any speaker and lends itself more easily to setting up the speakers by trial-and-error."

Then read this and actually audition a pair, you may surprise yourself:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maple-Bedrocks/departments/63/

Do you think reviewers just make this stuff up? People who actually auditioned the product?

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: plaintext deptdesc]

"I was amazed...Bedrock speaker stands are about as unconventional as they come yet they are finished beautifully and are far more hidden and less obtrusive than traditional stands...The sonic benefits are immediate...bass was firmer and the midrange and treble seemed to improve and open up considerably. Most surprising however was that the center image and soundstage didnt appear to take part in a sit in, instead remaining front and center and at ear level as if mounted on traditional stands...It was incredible..." - Hometheaterreview.com

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I guess we have different expectations.

And yes reviewers make up stuff.

That's one of the reasons why I don't read reviews...

And so do manufacturers.

R

P. S. You mess up the speaker response completely and then worry about time-alignment? How do you know when the speakers drivers are time-aligned with your listening position?

Did you make any acoustic measurements or just guessed?

P. S. You mess up the speaker response completely and then worry about time-alignment? How do you know when the speakers drivers are time-aligned with your listening position?

Did you make any acoustic measurements or just guessed?

You are talking to me about guessing while you prattle away with opinions you made up without ever having auditioned the product? I have both types of stands and am telling the OP the traditional ones are fine for convenience and the bedrock stands for better SQ. You don't have a clue what you are talking about because you have not compared. I think you are just trolling Semente, goodbye.