IGNORED

Article: RAW: Roon Audio Workshop - Wrap-Up

Seems like this was an excellent event. And it's nice to see companies moving from USB to Ethernet based networking for getting the best SQ from customer sources. Lately that appears to include more than the typical PC/Apple or NAS devices, but notables like Ayre, providing purpose built devices.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Wow...great event! I'm a Roon user with a pretty basic setup (a 2010 Mac Mini into an Ayre DAC). I'd love to learn about improving the experience and the various Roon options. Any plans for a similar event near Chicago?

Music: Mostly classical with some jazz and 70's, 80's and 90's rock. It's mostly ripped CD's, but I have quite a few DSF files ripped from SACD's and some hi res downloads, too.

Hey Chris, the dCS Network Bridge has sdif-2 I/Os? As you know, I like BNC a lot and have wondered for a while why sdif-2, with it's separate W/C, it isn't being used any more (or perhaps it still is?). What do dCS expect to be interfacing with - an old Sony PCM machine? I'm intrigued...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

to borrow a phrase : "(still) big in Japan"...

to quote from dCS

SDIF is an older standard that is still popular in Japan. It transmits two serial data streams in unbalanced form over two coaxial cables terminated in BNC connectors. When used for PCM, each data stream contains up to 24-bit data for one channel, messages (to identify the data), status flags and synchronisation pulses (which can be used to extract the word clock). When used for DSD, the two cables carry DSD data only. The ‘Channel 1’ cable carries left channel data, the ‘Channel 2’ cable carries right-channel data. SDIF data streams are different to both AES3 and S/PDIF, they are not compatible. For reliable operation, the output stage impedance, the characteristic impedance of the cable and the load impedance at the receiver should all be 75 ohms. This interface is DC-coupled and carries a DC offset of typically +1.25V – it will not work if coupling capacitors or transformers are inserted in the cable. To avoid interference from other appliances, the screen wires must be securely connected to chassis at both ends. There are 3 common forms of SDIF: SDIF-2 PCM, SDIF-2 DSD and SDIF-3 which is for DSD only. These variations make it difficult to extract a word clock reliably, so it is common practice to use a third cable to carry word clock – dCS equipment requires this. A balanced version of SDIF is sometimes used in multi-channel systems, a multi-pin connector is used.

Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton v3; DPC-6 v3

Ah, OK. I didn't realise sdif-2 was still big in Japan. Thanks for the info BMCG.

I guess in Japan they tend to use it with DSD more so than PCM because the only PCM gear that I'm aware of that uses/used spdif-2 is all from the '90s, such as my Prism Sound AD124. (Sdif-3 is a completely different kettle of fish, of course.)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

That dCS bridge looks cool... does it effectively act as a renderer (as in could it replace an Aurender?)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen