IGNORED

Tell us about your desktop system and listening please?

42" LG tv/monitor

late 2012 Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM formally 1TB hdd now full and backed up to a Passport and Lacie porsche-800+ cd's and 29000 songs in flac/aiff in itunes and some dvda's

now with WD 2TB hdd

audivrana2+/roon/roon+hqp/hqp/amarra sQ+/amarra for TIDAL/Qobuz/JRMC

USB/mini-TOSLINK to pre multibit Schiit Gungnir RCA out to Yamaha rx-v2500/Yamaha dvda/sacd/dvd/cd changer (dvd-c750) with Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 analog 7.1(but no sub so 7.0) out to the rx-v2500 and digital audio out to Gungnir

ATV hdmi to LG monitor and optical out to Gungnir

Sennheiser 595's and RS-195's to Schiit Magni and Schiit FULLA or to rx-v2500 directly

Cambridge Soundworks(Henry Kloss circa 2005 and before)towers/center channel/S300 satellites/2 model 6's

how do i send a picture via my ipad air 2?

I still have 2 sets of 'passive' subs from my original soundworks speaker set circa 1988-89-does anyone remember how to connect them if the answer is yes??

bobbmd

Windows 7 computer/Linux server

Bryston BDA-2 dac

McIntosh MC275 75 WPC amp

DEQX HDP-4 as preamp/room correction system

Lipinski L-707 monitors

For my next act I'm going to pull the crossovers from the Lipinskis and biamp using the DEQX.

I listen at a minimum 8 hours a day

Currently my computer desktop is headphones only (Sony MDR 7510). Though that will change, and I will return to JBL LSR305 speakers. I use various USB connected recording interfaces to feed them. Or sometimes the built in sound card. I have a 22 inch monitor, and a Lenovo home server for a desktop machine running Linux.

I think active on desktops is a big plus. I would say active speakers with digital input is the way to go. Maybe that is why Audioengines are so popular as well as being good speakers.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

JRMC on PC (win7) arrow_tiny_right_black.jpg Emotiva Stealth DC1 arrow_tiny_right_black.jpgJBL LSR 305s flanking a 37" Samsung HDTV. The 'phones are AKG 701 QJs, and my Parasound phono stage feeds the DAC (USB) as well as my Prima Luna amp driving my original (bought new by me at the turn of 1976) Rogers LS3/5as.

Since we moved to an apartment, the "2nd bedroom" is also my home office, library and music studio. It has a 15' built-in wall of cabinetry with a continuous countertop / desk, and the closet has been replaced by about 10 linear feet of floor-to-ceiling built-in bookshelves. This is where I have to do any listening at serious volume levels, and I listen whenever I'm working at the computer or reading something from our shelves. This system provides backing tracks for practice, and it's my sole remaining recording rig (I sold the Crown R2R).

The grand piano is out in the living room, flanked by matching piano-black Focal towers driven to apartment-friendly levels by my Wadia 151. So I reluctantly have to admit that the desktop system is my "main" system. I may haul the Prima Luna into the living room in the middle of an afternoon if I want to hear something at its best, but I can't complain about any of the above. Everything sounds pretty good - may I never have to listen to worse than this!

Since most of my music listening is done in my home office I have two setups:

Headphone: iPad or iPhone 6S+ -> NuForce iDo DAC -> iFi micro iCan -> Senn HD650s. Typically steaming Tidal

Speaker: Mac air -> AQ Dragonfly 1.2 -> Focal Alpha 50 monitors on isoAcoustics stands. Stream Tidal, saved FLACs, and iTunes with BitPerfect

Either setup is great for listening while I'm working and not in meetings that is. I need to take a pic and post once the work clutter is off my desk.

I've been moving around the last two years and been having fun experimenting with inexpensive second hand gear.

2009 to March 2014:

Mac Mini playing Audirvana + into a Benchmark DAC 1 HDR with balanced out into Adam A7 active speakers in a 12' x 8' room - sound was incredibly good. I gave this system to my son who is a budding musician but thinking I will take it back once I have completed my house renovations in about 12 months time.

From March 2014 -

"Playing" with various sub-based systems in a larger room (13' x 15') including:

1. Roon / Explorer 2 DAC / Sonance 8 sub with 100Hz high pass filter into a Parasound 21 power amp (US$200 off eBay) driving 15 year old pair of Tannoy Reveal passive monitors on stands. Sub and monitors purchased second hand from a pawn shop for US$150 and US$100 respectively and easily the best bang for buck sound I have ever heard. Always a risk buying second hand but was offered 30 day warranty and (assuming you take a mate with some knowledge) easily the best way to start out in Hifi.

2. Recently got my Devialet 200 out of storage (I know, what's it doing there?) and currently have it connected to the Sonance 8 sub via the pre out with a 70Hz low pass / 24db roll off filter and pair of ATOHM G1 to the speaker posts with a 70Hz /24 db high pass roll off using Devialet's inbuilt DSP called the configurator. I'm also experimenting with "delaying" the signal to the speakers in an effort to match the phase and timing of the sub by ear, but will get a mic and experiment with REW software and try a more scientific approach sometime in the future.

Don't really know what I'm doing, but have done a lot of reading and really enjoying the use of a sub, and have found when integrating subs less is more. When I finish renovations I'll relocate the Devialet to my living room and get 2 x SVS SB 2000 subs to support the ATOHMs.

Here is a detailed article on the integration of subs that I feel is well worth reading.

Soundoctor - all about subs

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Headphone: iPad or iPhone 6S+ -> NuForce iDo DAC -> iFi micro iCan -> Senn HD650s.

I forgot all about my iDo - it's been sitting there unused for many many months. I bought it when I got my iPhone 4s (which seems like eons ago), but I replaced wired bedside listening with BT phones (Soundblaster Jams, which isolate my music well from my wife's late-night TV enjoyment and are not too shabby for $40).

I assume the iDo works just as well with my new 7 as it did with my 6 and will make sure when I get home from work tonight. From the total lack of mention on CA etc, I suspect they didn't sell a whole lot of them. But it's a great piece (even though I no longer need it). Thanks for reminding me - a toy's a toy, after all!

I was a bit surprised at seeing the iCan following the iDo, since the iDo has a pretty robust analog output that drives most 'phones very well. I know there's some DSP in the iCan that's supposed to open up the soundstage, but apart from that what advantage do you see to using a second amplification stage?

I use the iCan from the pre-out of the DAC since it is better at driving my HD650s. The XBass and 3D feature are fun to play with but I typically leave them off since the balance is good. The iDo can drive the HD650s but not with the authority of the iFi.

I forgot all about my iDo - it's been sitting there unused for many many months. I bought it when I got my iPhone 4s (which seems like eons ago), but I replaced wired bedside listening with BT phones (Soundblaster Jams, which isolate my music well from my wife's late-night TV enjoyment and are not too shabby for $40).

I assume the iDo works just as well with my new 7 as it did with my 6 and will make sure when I get home from work tonight. From the total lack of mention on CA etc, I suspect they didn't sell a whole lot of them. But it's a great piece (even though I no longer need it). Thanks for reminding me - a toy's a toy, after all!

I was a bit surprised at seeing the iCan following the iDo, since the iDo has a pretty robust analog output that drives most 'phones very well. I know there's some DSP in the iCan that's supposed to open up the soundstage, but apart from that what advantage do you see to using a second amplification stage?

Macmini, emotiva dc-1, ncore400's, continuum 3 ways (satellite/woofer modules) all passive. I've had several powered monitors and then ls50's, then ls50's w/subs. The Continuums are my favorites but they did not come alive until I upped the power with the ncores. I do about 90% of my listening on this system which is in my bedroom/ desk-office space.

Latest gen Macbook Pro retina 15 inch with an extra 29 inch 21:9 Dell monitor, Thunderbolt disk array with 4x1 TB SSD storage with optical cableing - Audirvana (sometimes HQ player in demo mode) - Wireworld short USB3 cable - iFi USB3 power supply - Kingrex red USB cable - IfI micro iDSD DAC - Alisca Orange black RCA-RCA cable - Acoustic Art pre - Alisca Orange XLR-XLR cable - Neumann KH120A active studio monitor on an Isoacoustic Aperta stand. Alisca Orange mains distributor.

Very nice sound, really entertaining. I play with the new Presonus R65 active monitors as well, it really bites but smooth at the same time.

When I am on the road I use an iPad Pro or the Macbook Pro with a pair UE Megaboom bluetooth speakers. Sounds surprisingly engaging.

Well I'm fortunate to have some space in cabinet next to the desktop to use a full size chassis amplifier so I'll continue to go that route over powered monitors. My JBLs volume control was on the rear.....a real pain in the a$$

Since I'm a DIY guy, at some point I'd like to do a combination subwoofer, amplifier, monitor riser with a volume knob and status lights on the front. Makes perfect sense from an ergonomic standpoint.

• 1 month later...

I have a 42" monitor and older HP business computer along with a set of recently gifted HiVi Swans M10 2.1 speakers. After the monitor there wasn't much room left for speakers. So I decided to take a chance on smaller satellites and putting the much larger sub dead center behind it. Following the addition of a DAC and upgrade to W10 I expect SQ to be greatly improved.

I have 2x24" screens, and Ymaha HS8 monitors on each side, with Presonus Temblor T10 sub under my desk. Somehow this all fits on my desk, but the space is really maxed out.

The speakers used to be driven by Lynx Hilo directly, but over time I have added a couple more components: first was Violectric V281 as I wanted to drive my headphones balanced, and recently also Metrum Menuet DAC. I haven't decided on final configuration yet, but for the time being it looks like this:

foobar2000(Win7/64) -- ASIO/USB --> Lynx Hilo -- AES/EBU --> Metrum Menuet -- XLR --> Violectric V281 -- XLR --> T10 -- XLR --> Yamaha HS8

The Hilo is there because it acts as a digital mixer, doing a much better job than Windows. The Windows default audio out goes to optical, while f2k uses ASIO and they both get mixed by Hilo and passed further down the stream. I also use Hilo for recording, but that's a separate matter.

The V281 turned out to be a slightly better preamp for my speakers than the Hilo, so it got that job too in addition to powering the headphones.

After getting the Menuet my upgraditis seems to be cured, as I'm really pleased with the sound now.

Long time audiophile, since I was a wee lad in the 70s, now a retired Geezer just getting into computer based audio.

My desktop/headphone system is Flac files--->Foobar---->Pangea HP201---->HD650.

Interested in learning how I can get my system sounding as good as possible before making the transition to computer based audio in my main system.

• 4 weeks later...
Intel Skylake generation i5 NUC with Win 10 and JRiver MC21. Music files are on a NAS. Output to Audioengine A5 powered speakers is via an Audioquest Dragonfly red. An Audioengine wireless DAC sends audio to the living room where it is played through a Sony VEGA TV. Audio is routed to JRiver Id as a DLNA renderer for our main system in our library. The Id outputs digital audio via Toslink cable to a TC electronics DAC 2.

Mostly classical music with some early jazz, swing, broadway musicals and great American songbook. And a tiny bit of folk and early rock 'N roll.

A couple of updates to my systems:

- Audioengine HDP6 powered speakers have replaced A5s attached to my PC. The A5s are now in use on my wife's NUC PC in the home office.

- A TCL TV with Roku functionality built in replaced the Sony Vega CRT TV. The new TV has wireless connectivity and DLNA capability. No need for the wireless DAC in that room.

Simpler and better.

• 1 year later...

SonicTransporter i5 (Uptone Audio JS -2 PSU / Audience Au24SX power cord) > AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet > MicroRendu (JS-2 PSU) > Cardas USB connector > Job INT (Audience AU24 SX power cord) > (A) Audience AU24 (bananas) > Boenicke W5se and (B) Morrow Audio REL cable > REL T5 (Audience AU24 SX power cord) all with PS Audio P300. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Mac Mini with 8 Gigs, and a 1 TB SS HDD. USB feeds an iFI iUSB power supply into which is plugged a DragonFly Red DAC. The output of the DAC feeds a Napa Acoustics NA-208A hybrid Tube/SS amplifier producing 25 Watts RMS/channel. This amp powers a pair of matching Napa Acoustics NA-208S "nearfield monitors"

My video monitor is a 32" HNC connected to my computer via HDMI. Keyboard and mouse are bluetooth wireless Logitech MK850. I have two external Disc reader/writers. A Samsung DVD transport and a Sony Blu-Ray transport and three external USB HDDs, one for "Time Machine" backup, one for video/still pictures, one for music project storage. 

George

Asus 24" screen with 1ms response rate

Asus i7 gaming laptop hooked to ^

Adam A77x speakers 

Light Harmonic Revive to 

Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G cable to 

Light Harmonic 2A Signature Edition (DAC) to  either 

Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp (stock tubes for now) 

or 

balanced Sennheiser 600 / 800 headphones 

Youtube / Spotify Premium / FLAC files via Musicbee

I used to believe the pc may make a big difference, but then through both experience and self-reasoning, i have come to the conclusion that as long as you have a fast enough processor where the music could be played without hindrance and as long as you have usb isolation "of sorts", that the system doesn't make that much of a difference.

At one point, i believed that optical sounded much cleaner ans superior than usb, but since my latest streamer dac that has marketed usb isolation, usb sounds great to me now.

If the only interface between your pc and your music is the usb port, there really is only the data and the 5v bus, right?

If the data can be transferred accurately and the usb inteface noise is isolated in some way, i don't know what else there is to be concerned about?

But to answer the question, the music i listen to the most is the music tied to my office computer because i am almost always on my computer (probably 70% of the time i am awake).  It is very modest in comparison to my home system that i don't use that much.

My office computer (the one i am currently typing from), is a vivo vm60 pc i5 with 8gb of memory, and it has both optical out to onkyo avr and usb3.0 out to my ND8006 streamer dac.  The ND8006 is also connected to ethernet, so i can play from either optical, usb dac, flash, cd, or dlna, and can control it via voice by my alexa show....the speakers are ELAC B5 or B6 (i forget model) and a 10" non-ported velodyne subwoofer.

The other desktop system is same, but is in the living room, hooked up to mcintosh ma6500, teac NT503, and B&W speakers.  I use the same DLNA server for both systems, but usually when i play from main system, i will put on a record unless i am demonstrating it, in which case i usually play some DSD via enet.