IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

21 minutes ago, Energy said:

Um no. The ISO REGEN works differently than sMS-200. The ISO REGEN is a USB conditioner and noise isolator while the other one is an network audio adapter/player.

If you plan to use an sMS-200, it should be placed before the Singxer SU-1 to offer galvanic isolation by using a network switch (ethernet). Either that or you can use the ISO REGEN instead before the Singxer SU-1. Either way I would recommend powering the Singxer SU-1 with an LPS-1 to get the best sound quality. Between ISO REGEN (USB conditioner) or sMS-200 (NAA), I would preferably use an NAA. NAA offers better isolation and if you upsample music files to DSD, 48KHz bitrate will be available.

Okay. I didn't mean how they work, but more how much they improve the sound. ?

Now I'm playing on a Mac mini with Audirvana and upsample to dsd128 and the SU-1 and I2s to my Gustard x20pro. Sounds nice.

Either I buy a LPS-1 to my SU-1, or I buy the SmS200 ( 360$ with Sbooster Gen1) and take away my Mac mini and feed the SMS200 with my windows computer with dsd256 from Roon (have to buy Roon to, 100$.)

So total sms200 + sbooster(old version) + Roon(1 year) = 460$ (getting dsd256)

Vs

Used LPS-1 = about 410$ (keeping dsd128 from my old Mac mini late 2009)

Lol, pretty nice problems i got ?

5 minutes ago, bratsson said:

Okay. I didn't mean how they work, but more how much they improve the sound. ?

Now I'm playing on a Mac mini with Audirvana and upsample to dsd128 and the SU-1 and I2s to my Gustard x20pro. Sounds nice.

Either I buy a LPS-1 to my SU-1, or I buy the SmS200 ( 360$ with Sbooster Gen1) and take away my Mac mini and feed the SMS200 with my windows computer with dsd256 from Roon (have to buy Roon to, 100$.)

So total sms200 + sbooster(old version) + Roon(1 year) = 460$ (getting dsd256)

Vs

Used LPS-1 = about 410$ (keeping dsd128 from my old Mac mini late 2009)

Lol, pretty nice problems i got ?

Isn't on MAC due to driver issues upsampling to DSD is over over DoP? If you are upsampling to DSD you should already be using a Windows machine for Native DSD upsampling. I recommend getting the LPS-1 for the SU-1 and using Windows Machine with HQPlayer instead of Roon. HQPlayer supports better modulators/filters and can do DSD512.

Don't forget that SBooster will still have AC leakage currents compared to LPS-1. This is why I went with an ultraRendu. It only needs 1A continuous power so the LPS-1 can do well in this category. I believe sMS-200 is 6.5-12V @ 15W so up anywhere from 1.25A-2.3A.

What cable are you using for the I²S? I recommend keeping it 0.5M and below. 

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
1 minute ago, Energy said:

Isn't on MAC due to driver issues upsampling to DSD is over over DoP? If you are upsampling to DSD you should already be using a Windows machine for Native DSD upsampling. I recommend getting the LPS-1 for the SU-1 and using Windows Machine with HQPlayer instead of Roon. HQPlayer supports better modulators/filters and can do DSD512.

Don't forget that SBooster will still have AC leakage currents compared to LPS-1. This is why I went with an ultraRendu. It only needs 1A continuous power so the LPS-1 can do well in this category. I believe sMS-200 is 6.5-12V @ 15W so up anywhere from 1.25A-2.3A.

What cable are you using for the I²S? I recommend keeping it 0.5M and below. 

Correct. Mac mini and dsd128 DoP is what my computer is pulling out with. Dsd256 DoP and the Mac mini is to slow. 

Windows - Roon (I'm streaming  from Tidal so that leaves HQplayer out?) - sms200 (sbooster) - SU-1 - Gustard DSD256 Native 

IOS - Audirvana - SU-1 ( with LPS-1) - Gustard DSD128 DoP. 

Or let me put it this way....

LPS-1 feeding SU-1 and DSD128 DoP 

Vs

SmS200 feeding digital to stock SU-1 and DSD256 Native (DSD512 when we get a newer computer). 

I bought the Apollo I2s (HDMI) 0.5m.

over DoP is slightly better than Native PCM but nowhere near as good as Native DSD upsampling in my opinion. I'm sure you already know that though.

If that's the case then we're in similar places. ^_^ 

I'm too broke for Roon, but just bought Tidal HiFi for car listening since SoundCloud reduced their MP3 bit rate from the already bad 128kbs to 64kbps.

00000.thumb.png.76529d225dab08ea8d644802cb3f80c3.png

Now that I have Tidal, I want to use HQPlayer to upsample these songs to DSD but it's a little difficult to do so without using Roon as a front end. Roon however is quite expensive in my opinion especially when HQPlayer was already nearly $200.

Good news though. You can use BubbleUPnP app and stream Tidal to HQPlayer by having the "allow control from network" button turned on. Looks like this. How do I know? Source

0000000.thumb.png.5bc2b114c69182b2c6e33ede8ef4c7bf.png

I'm still working on getting BubbleUPnP to work so I can't give you all the details yet. If you find a way to get it working before me, share some of the glory. :P

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
7 minutes ago, Energy said:

over DoP is slightly better than Native PCM but nowhere near as good as Native DSD upsampling in my opinion. I'm sure you already know that though.

If that's the case then we're in similar places. ^_^ 

I'm too broke for Roon, but just bought Tidal HiFi for car listening since SoundCloud reduced their MP3 bit rate from the already bad 128kbs to 64kbps.

00000.thumb.png.76529d225dab08ea8d644802cb3f80c3.png

Now that I have Tidal, I want to use HQPlayer to upsample these songs to DSD but it's a little difficult to do so without using Roon as a front end. Roon however is quite expensive in my opinion especially when HQPlayer was already nearly $200.

Good news though. You can use BubbleUPnP app and stream Tidal to HQPlayer by having the "allow control from network" button turned on. Looks like this. How do I know? Source

0000000.thumb.png.5bc2b114c69182b2c6e33ede8ef4c7bf.png

I'm still working on getting BubbleUPnP to work so I can't give you all the details yet. If you find a way to get it working before me, share some of the glory. :P

Hehe tank you so much for your input.

I will look in to HQplayer, but Roon can upsample to DSD512 native also ?

I think I will get the SmS200 and take my windows computer feeding it with Dsd256 Native and sell my Mac mini and buy Roon. 

And change the 3.3v regulator in Singxer SU-1 and later on, change the power to SU-1.

9 minutes ago, bratsson said:

Hehe tank you so much for your input.

I will look in to HQplayer, but Roon can upsample to DSD512 native also ?

I think I will get the SmS200 and take my windows computer feeding it with Dsd256 Native and sell my Mac mini and buy Roon. 

And change the 3.3v regulator in Singxer SU-1 and later on, change the power to SU-1.

Roon does not offer the same level of filters or modulators as the ones provided by HQPlayer. 9_9

Your future outlook looks good. I would have done something similar. ;)

=  ︿  = 
22 hours ago, Energy said:

Don't forget that SBooster will still have AC leakage currents compared to LPS-1

Hello Energy,

In your post you write “Don't forget that SBooster will still have AC leakage currents compared to LPS-1”. We do not understand your remark. 

Regarding AC leakage current: AC leakage current is (unwanted) current that flows from either AC or DC circuits in equipment to the chassis, or to the ground, and can be either from the input or the output. We assume, that you mean with AC leakage currents the presence of unwanted AC voltage/current at the DC output of the LPS1 or Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO power supply, caused by this leakage current. 

The LPS-1 unit itself is a DC/DC power supply add-on.  The LPS-1 cannot create the AC leakage itself, but can only pass on the AC leakage of the used feeder/charger supply. The Sbooster on the other hand is a linear power supply and because of its design the negative effects of this AC leakage current is negligible. I will elaborate on this shortly:

First SMPS (switch-mode power supplies) generate a high leakage current with voltage spikes > 300V AC on the output. This is caused by two capacitors that are internally connected between the Hot/Neutral and output of a SMPS.

Linear power supplies on the other hand are equipped with a transformer. A transformer has a small amount of self-capacity between the primary (AC input) and secondary (AC output)  windings. The amount of capacity depends on the type and construction of the transformer, but the capacity is much lower, than the value of the capacitors installed in a SMPS power supply. Therefor the negative effects of the AC leakage on the output of a linear power supply can be very small.  

There are a couple of ways to reduce or eliminate the AC voltage/current at the output of a linear power supply even further. We will mention the most common options:
1) For many decades is has or has been good practise to connect the negative output/rail/plane of a linear PSU to the (PE) Protected Earth. With this connection the AC current on the output is directly shorted to Earth and removed from the output of the PSU.

We do not use this connection in our BOTW power supplies, because it increases the risk of equipment failure due to ESD (Electrostatic Discharge), when the power supply is used in an audio chain where both SMPS and linear power supplies are used. Please see our White Paper “Risk of ESD” for more information; https://www.sbooster.com/white-paper-esd

2) Using a transformer with electrostatic shielding: We use this option in our BOTW P&P ECO power supply range. The electrostatic shielding is a copper foil that is installed between the primary and secondary windings and is connected to the (PE) Protected Earth. The foil creates a low impedance return pad for the AC leakage and ensures that this AC leakage is not passed on to the AC output of the transformer, thus the DC output of the BOTW PSU. To avoid unwanted noise injection from a polluted Earth line into the electrostatic shielding, we have equipped our mains filters with an additional Earth line filter arrangement.

So when a SMPS is the feeder supply of the LPS-1, the high AC leakage of the SMPS can create unwanted AC voltage/current at the output of the LPS1.

But when a linear PSU, such as the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO, is the feeder supply of the LPS-1 the unwanted AC voltage/current at the output is negligible.

For those who are interested: on Audio Science Review- forum the effect of AC leakage current has been measured with a LPS-1/SMPS (Meanwell PSU) and LPS-1/BOTW P&P ECO combination.
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-lps-1-linear-power-supply-review-and-measurements.1849/
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-lps-1-linear-power-supply-review-and-measurements.1849/#post-47254

Regards,

Karin

Sbooster, enjoy more music.........

Meet us at the Montréal Audio Fest 23-28 March 2018

54 minutes ago, bratsson said:

https://www.mouser.se/new/crystekcrystals/crysteknoiseosc/

Can i use one of these to change stock  oscillator?

Stock oscillators in the SU-1 for the two audio reference clocks are already Crystek CCHD-575.

There are people (e.g. elan120 and myself) who have replaced CCHD-575 with other oscillators but the effort is non-trivial due to oscillator size differences.

On 18/8/2017 at 5:54 PM, electrafixion said:

Last week my friend and I tried substituting my upgraded Singxer power supply (Dexa precision voltage regulator, Nichicon Fine Gold + Wima bypass caps) with his LPS-1 (powered by the Mean Well wall wart that Uptone supplies).  We both concluded that my system sounded more sterile and was lacking dynamics with the LPS-1 in place.  Needless to say, we were surprised by the results.  Some have suggested the Mean Well power supply compromises the LPS-1, so we plan to redo our test soon with a couple of different power supplies.

I have to say the same - surprising that cheapo made LPS outperform LPS-1 :( and the powercord + lps for powering the LPS-1 is important, I know Alex Uptone does not believe in this, but as Amir made the measurements he is right, also your experience electrafixtion is like mine ..... When I powered the LPS-1 with cheapo vs meanwell power supply the LPS-1 is changed in SQ.

On 1/21/2018 at 1:24 AM, elan120 said:

I have some time today to work on changing out the voltage regulator for the 22.5792MHz oscillator, and is happy to report that the result from this mod is very much worth the effort, and certainly would recommend anyone comfortable with soldering to give it a try.

The first mod for this regulator was done late December last year.  It was a direct pin out regulator change from ADP150 to LP5907, and the result was quite good, which gave me enough confidence to order couple of the 1A LT3045 to replace the LP5907, thinking if the spec noise dropped from 9uV to 6.5uV can be easily detected in my system, dropping the spec noise to 0.4uV should improve even further.  After completing the mod earlier, letting system warm up for couple of hours, proved this idea is very much true.  A better, cleaner power feeding the oscillator will indeed result in better SQ.

Below is a picture of the mod, hopefully it is clear enough to be self-explanatory.

20180120_200233.thumb.jpg.5a77ec0ab118afe909f9eca7fce46bf6.jpg

@elan120

I am trying to figure out how to connect a Pulsar VR as you have done with the LT3045.

Looking at the ADP150 data sheet 1=VIN 2=GND 5=OUT.

AD%20Regulator_zpsjh14aqwq.jpg

I was planing to connect my wires to the board where the ADP150 was removed.

I see you have done it a different way. Can you explain your connections for the LT3045?  Thank You.

1 hour ago, jjh1585 said:

@elan120

I am trying to figure out how to connect a Pulsar VR as you have done with the LT3045.

Looking at the ADP150 data sheet 1=VIN 2=GND 5=OUT.

AD%20Regulator_zpsjh14aqwq.jpg

I was planing to connect my wires to the board where the ADP150 was removed.

I see you have done it a different way. Can you explain your connections for the LT3045?  Thank You.

@jjh1585

Are you using the Pulsar VR from:  http://www.pulsarclock.com/Power.html  ?

If yes, this may not be a good choice to replace ADP150 unless you plan on modifying the VR circuit board.  You need pin-3 connected as shown in the mod picture I attached from my earlier post, but Pulsar VR have ADM7150 EN pin (pin-7) tight together with Vin (pin-8).  If you still want to use Pulsar VR, you will need to cut open the trace and connect ADM7150 pin-7 to ADP150 pin-3 location directly.  This is part of the reason why I used LT3045 VR on my mod.

Meanwhile, I by-passed all components by connecting Vin and GND directly to the input connector instead of connecting to ADP150 pin-1.

Hope this helps.

@elan120

Thank you for the clear explanation.

I am gathering some parts presently. I placed an order for Pulsar Clocks and bought the Pulsar VR's. I have also ordered LT3045-A boards as well. I thought I would test both. 

Looking at your photo I see a wire at 3 EN ( ADP150 ). Where is the other end connected?

What do you think about adding a 2nd LPS-1 @5v to power the XMOS Mod (3.3v and 1v LT3045-A boards).

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jjh1585 said:

@elan120

Thank you for the clear explanation.

I am gathering some parts presently. I placed an order for Pulsar Clocks and bought the Pulsar VR's. I have also ordered LT3045-A boards as well. I thought I would test both. 

Looking at your photo I see a wire at 3 EN ( ADP150 ). Where is the other end connected?

What do you think about adding a 2nd LPS-1 @5v to power the XMOS Mod (3.3v and 1v LT3045-A boards).

Thanks.

@jjh1585

Good that you also got some LT3045 coming as well, they will make the ADP150 replacement mod much simpler.

The other end of the EN wire is connected to the LT3045 EN pin.  You should be able to see it from the bottom center portion of the picture I attached from my earlier post, where both Vin and GND pin were left open, and the wire you see soldered to ADP150 pin-3 location is soldered to the LT3045 EN pin from the bottom.

I do think running another LPS-1 to power USB input side will contribute further benefits to the overall SQ, and this is the same power supply I am using to feed my USB card presently, which in term feeding the 3.3V and 1V LT3045 boards I used for USB input side voltage regulator modification I did last December.  I am sure you saw the new LPS-1.2 announcement by @Superdad recently, if you don't have a LPS-1 already,  this new one will be a great supply to have for this application.

3 hours ago, drmike said:

to elan 120,

is the LT 3045 A  a special order or will the 1.2A work? do you need 2? if so where does the second one go?

thanks,

drmike

@drmike

I am not clear on some of your questions, so I can only answer part of the questions.

The LT3045 board is not a special order, and you can check the website where I purchased mine here:  http://www.ldovr.com/category-s/118.htm

As you can see from the website link above, they have either 0.5A or 1.0A version available; unfortunately, I am not familiar with the 1.2A version you mentioned.

As for the "do you need 2" question, can you clarify what this means?  Once this is cleared up, I will likely be able to help with the "if so where does the second one go? question.