IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

Hi,

A new version of the Breeze U8, with the XU208 chip is on the market : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-audio-Best-pure-USB-decoder-XMOS-U8-DU-U8-DAC-Asynchronous-USB-coax-fiber-XMOS/32499738639.html

Did someone try this new version of the Breeze ? Close SQ compared to SU-1 ?

Thanks

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

I would like to thank everyone for the great info on modding the SU-1, will there be a long break-in with these new caps.

I went with the Sparko 3.3v/ Pan FR 100uF/FR 330uF and Nichicon R7 220uf (just like Duy Le). Also using a LPS-1 ultracap with it.

_DSF3997.thumb.jpg.7671b6e8388cbed406e63a426b3551f1.jpg

_DSF4024.thumb.jpg.e9c0977972c7574c15a2147dc0adcfbe.jpg

Mac mini 8gb ram w/SSD/Mojo Auido Joule III -> Yggy -> W4S STP-SE pre Sage 1-> Nord One Up amp -> SP tech Continuum 2.5

I'm quite surprised you found any audible improvements in replacing those miniature regulators.

What exactly did you replace it with?

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

Can you show us how you wired it up?

I reckon either LT3042 or LT3045 should work.

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 

Guys I have a question.

Will it be ok if I will use capacitors with higher voltage.

In place of Panasonic FR 330µF 25V

I would like to use: FM-A 330µF 35V - Ripple Current1560 mA;Tolerance20 %;Resistor30 mOhm

In place of Nichicon RR70J221MDN1 220µF 6.3V 7mΩ LS3.5mm

I would like to use Panasonic FC series, type A 220 µF, 25 V; Ripple Current555 mA;Impedance 0.12 Ohm

or Panasonic FC series, type A 220 µ, 10 V; Ripple Current290 mA; Impedance 0.35 Ohm

3 hours ago, Mogos said:

Guys I have a question.

I would like to use: FM-A 330µF 35V - Ripple Current1560 mA;Tolerance20 %;Resistor30 mOhm

I would like to use Panasonic FC series, type A 220 µF, 25 V; Ripple Current555 mA;Impedance 0.12 Ohm

or Panasonic FC series, type A 220 µ, 10 V; Ripple Current290 mA; Impedance 0.35 Ohm

From voltage rating standpoint, higher voltage will certainly be ok to use.  Make sure capacitor physical size and lead spacing fits current locations.

On 11/24/2017 at 12:57 PM, Mogos said:

Guys I have a question.

I wouldn’t change the capacitors that was chosen for this mod unless its not available where you live.

The board does not pull more than 5V so having a higher rated capacitor will only possibly increase physical size and offer some slight rating improvement, but you will not gain the benefits from using the chosen model which goes beyond the voltage rating increase.

FR > FM > FC

Also, the Nichicon R7’s were chosen to be where they are for a reason due to low ESR.

=  ︿  = 

Hello together

The Poly-Caps like R7, Sanyo SP and so on are Great for SMPs. When you put them behind a Super-Regulator like Sparko Lab the Sound will be Colourless, dry. When you try most Caps with higher Voltage as needed, it will be a very, very little improvement. But you can hear it. The "right" Caps is much more important. When you try a Silmic2, a Panasonic FC, and a Nichicon R7, you will hear more differences.

They have their own Signatur. I prefer the First one.

Greetings 

Stephan

15 hours ago, Horace28 said:

Quick question - What volume do you all have the mixer set to in Windows? I remember someone mentioning 70% but I don't know if this was in reference to the SU-1

I'm not sure why you'd want to set it to anything but 100%, unless you don't have another volume control in your system. 

58 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

New driver v4.36 for SU-1 posted on Shenzhen Audio website. This one claims to support DSD512 right in the file name! 

Anyone willing to try? I'm away from my SU-1 for another few days :(

https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/Singxer_USBAudio_v4.36.0_2017-11-14_DSD512.rar

I wonder how this would be any different than the driver for the Holidays Spring DAC that many of us have been using for a while?  I'll give it a try.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

10 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I wonder how this would be any different than the driver for the Holidays Spring DAC that many of us have been using for a while?  I'll give it a try.

One thing I wanted to see if this plays nicer with the Gustard X20pro at DSD512. That DAC has some display issues with Holo Spring driver: while the music plays fine at DSD512, the display shows nearly random rates and sometimes even PCM when DSD is clearly the format.

21 hours ago, Horace28 said:

Quick question - What volume do you all have the mixer set to in Windows? I remember someone mentioning 70% but I don't know if this was in reference to the SU-1

Hello

I am sure the SU-1 sounds best with the setting ASIO output in Software-Player output. Then the windows mixer have no function.

Greetings

Stephan

On 11/25/2017 at 11:40 PM, SolidCore said:

Hello together

The Poly-Caps like R7, Sanyo SP and so on are Great for SMPs. When you put them behind a Super-Regulator like Sparko Lab the Sound will be Colourless, dry. When you try most Caps with higher Voltage as needed, it will be a very, very little improvement. But you can hear it. The "right" Caps is much more important. When you try a Silmic2, a Panasonic FC, and a Nichicon R7, you will hear more differences.

They have their own Signatur. I prefer the First one.

Greetings 

Stephan

In this digital circuit, it could be that the other capacitors you've stated is just colored so switching to a more optimal capacitor may sound more lifeless or colorless. It's entirely up to whoever feels works best to them.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:31 AM, Horace28 said:

For DSD upsampling the volume has to be at 100% otherwise there will be white noise. Volume is recommended to be at 100% and volume adjustment should be taken through hardware (amp, speaker).

=  ︿  = 
48 minutes ago, Energy said:

I like this driver more than the previously used Holo Audio Spring v3.40 driver (for DSD512).

This one shows ASIO Status and works better for the Singxer SU-1. I was able to reduce buffer time to 5ms on HQPlayer and still not run into any stuttering issues.

ASIO.thumb.png.69213b972d399ea074eefb26788a44e6.png

Energy, this is very helpful.  Many thanks for sharing!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 11/26/2017 at 6:40 PM, pkane2001 said:

New driver v4.36 for SU-1 posted on Shenzhen Audio website. This one claims to support DSD512 right in the file name! 

https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/Singxer_USBAudio_v4.36.0_2017-11-14_DSD512.rar

Thanks for the link to this driver!

I'm using the Singxer F-1 and just finished uninstalling the Kitsune F-1 driver.

The prior SU-1 v4.20 or v3.34.0 drivers did not work for the F-1 on my Win10 system, so I've been using the v3.20.0 driver successfully.

This new v4.36.0 driver displays Singxer USB Audio 2.0 within Windows Sound.

The results are great in my application, where previously I was limited to ASIO output from JPLAY

Engine: Classic

Bitstream: Force 32 Bit

BitperfectVolume: OFF

Polarity: Normal

DACLink ~1Hz

PCBuffer 10 seconds

Throttle: OFF

HibernateMode: OFF

With the new driver I can use JPLAY

KS: Audio Output

and

Engine: ULTRAstream

This has brought more clarity over using the ASIO setting within JPLAY!

For those who may be using JPLAY, I'm using the free Album Player Mini v2.110

http://vv.uka.ru/aplayer_eng.html

For Album Player within the ap2Config panel I have these settings running stable.

Selecting cores: Single

Playback mode: Full Memory and Full preloading

Period of system timer: 0.5 Ms

Output module: ASIO

Priority process: REALTIME

Only WAV Player mode: selected 

From ASIO_x64_Config 

Select Audio Device: JPLAY Driver 

Then I select: ASIO control panel option to start the JPLAY service. 

Hit OK and from the bottom of the Windows taskbar extra panel the JPLAY panel icon will be ready to open and configure.

Thank you pkane2001! Such a surprise tonight!

Cheers!

A brief update, with the JPLAY settings panel for Engine: Ultrastream

Within Album Player ap2Config panel, I changed Period of system timer: from 0.5 Ms to default.

And within ASIO_x64_Config: 

Hold ASIO Output (selected)

Preload buffer: 256

This seems to have remedied the occasional lock-up between Album Player and JPLAY when skipping through tracks in folder or playlist. 

One last detail about APlayer so as not to deviate from the topic.

Once opening the main APlayer playback panel, if music folders and files aren't displayed from the drop-down bar, simply right click within the bar and select the folder with the files. Keeping all the files the same bit depth and sampling rate works best. 

I haven't tested DSD with the new driver as the EMM DAC6e and a vintage Quad AD1865 NOS DAC only handle WAV.

If the ability to use DSD512 for others with this new driver is like this experience going from ASIO to KS output within JPLAY, then it's going to be groovy.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:40 PM, pkane2001 said:

Just tried installing this on my Server 2012 R2 NAA pc but keep getting errors (see below).  Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.8dd77b56d1f432de5e55dc55957410c9.png

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments