IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

ahhhh...I knew I forgot to include something in my original post. I only had about 40 hours on the SU-1. I think at this point I am up to 60 hours. I will pay attention to how the sound changes over time. Its interesting to see how much our initial impressions are similar though I must admit your review was much more eloquent than mine!

BTW, too bad that thread on Head-fi got locked. It was/is is a very good and informative one. I wish the mods would consider re-opening it.

Much too kind, thank you.

Yes, it is too bad: there is a huge amount of good information in that thread.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I'm looking to replace my hiFace EVO. This seems to be a good upgrade :)

My Theta Gen VIII dac does not have USB, so I need an USB/SPDIF converter.

I have the MicroRendu with the LPS-1. So I could VBus the F-1 version. (Which seems to be offered in an upgraded version according to some adds on eBay.)

The SU-1 seems to use the same F-1 board, right ?

In addition I can use my EVO clock on the SU-1. And of cause the AES/EBU interface.

Should I expect a better sonic performance with the SU-1 over the F-1 ?

A'm thinking that the power in the SU-1 may be a source for introducing more noise, am I wrong ?

Would I actually benefit to use the EVO clock ?

Does anyone know of this unit has the same HW ?

FUN01 XU208 XMOS USB Audio Digital Interface XLR/AES/fiber/coaxial + LPS | eBay

If yes, then this would really be good option withe the UpTone Audio LPS-1 :)

I do not know the answers to any of your questions but I believe you will find at least most of them in the referenced Head-Fi thread. Any you don't will probably be found by PMing one of the more knowledgeable posters in said thread. Good luck.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

BTW, too bad that thread on Head-fi got locked. It was/is is a very good and informative one.

Guess whose fault it was (OP didn't recognise him/it in time, was cosying up to him/it, bit him back in due time).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I'm looking to replace my hiFace EVO. This seems to be a good upgrade :)

My Theta Gen VIII dac does not have USB, so I need an USB/SPDIF converter.

I have the MicroRendu with the LPS-1. So I could VBus the F-1 version. (Which seems to be offered in an upgraded version according to some adds on eBay.)

The SU-1 seems to use the same F-1 board, right ?

In addition I can use my EVO clock on the SU-1. And of cause the AES/EBU interface.

Should I expect a better sonic performance with the SU-1 over the F-1 ?

A'm thinking that the power in the SU-1 may be a source for introducing more noise, am I wrong ?

Would I actually benefit to use the EVO clock ?

Does anyone know of this unit has the same HW ?

FUN01 XU208 XMOS USB Audio Digital Interface XLR/AES/fiber/coaxial + LPS | eBay

If yes, then this would really be good option withe the UpTone Audio LPS-1 :)

I am burning-in one SU-1. I think I can answer one thing, which I plan on doing in next couple of weeks. I opened the top cover of SU-1, and found that there is a 2-pin connector coming from the power supply to the board, which can very easily be connected to any other better power supply. I will try few power sources like, Anker battery, Paul Hynes, and UpTone LPS-1. It takes 5V. I want to try changing the power supply after 200-300 hours on the unit. I just have about 60 hours on it.

I am burning-in one SU-1. I think I can answer one thing, which I plan on doing in next couple of weeks. I opened the top cover of SU-1, and found that there is a 2-pin connector coming from the power supply to the board, which can very easily be connected to any other better power supply. I will try few power sources like, Anker battery, Paul Hynes, and UpTone LPS-1. It takes 5V. I want to try changing the power supply after 200-300 hours on the unit. I just have about 60 hours on it.

Great info. I've been meaning to take the cover off my SU-1 but Ive been too busy enjoying it! So to be sure, we can bypass the internal supply by simply providing 5V to the board? Does that mean I can completely unplug the SU-1 from the AC? Do you have a pic of the connector? I can try using my LPS.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Great info. I've been meaning to take the cover off my SU-1 but Ive been too busy enjoying it! So to be sure, we can bypass the internal supply by simply providing 5V to the board? Does that mean I can completely unplug the SU-1 from the AC? Do you have a pic of the connector? I can try using my LPS.

IMG_2392.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I ordered these pins to connect to male 2-pin on the board. I can solder wire to these pins or just crimp, and connect a 2.5 mm connector on the other end for LPS-1 or XLR for Hynes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGWVFWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can order female connector with wires, but wire lengths are limited to 200mm.

The above listed connectors are very hard to work with. I do not recommend these.

The above listed connectors are very hard to work with. I do not recommend these.

That's a shame. Another option would be cut the wire and add connectors so you can easily reconnect to the SU-1 power or an external lps. I will try this. Just need to find a suitable 2 wire connector set.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

su1 with my Ultra cap 5Vpower.

sound AMAZING!!!

Awesome! Can you please let me know where you bought the connector from? Can you also please try to describe the improvement by providing the separate 5V power?

Other components:

full dark background,many details,much softer,relaxed ,shocked.......

Thank you. Can you pls let me know where you bought the connector from or did you re-use the one in the SU-1?

Other components:

That’s my experiment:

Similar to what Hurka did, I have bypassed the internal power supply. In this case I’m using clean power from my Bel Canto VBS1 (virtual battery system) that is powering also my 3.5 DAC. The second output of the VBS1 is going to a power regulator to lower the voltage from 12V to 5V then go to my SU-1. First quick test is really promising. The sound is definitively fuller, with more body.

Image-2.png.jpg

Image-1.png.jpg

Image.png.jpg

This Ultra caps really big improvement,other solution not the best.

Sorry about dc connector inside,dont know the type,but can use the origin one.

I also powered my consonance x5 Ethernet usb bridge ,(raspi2 inside)with Lt3042 ultra low noise power,so all together the improvement very very big.

notice:dont use laptop,pc,smps,linear high current powered machine,because sound crappy.

Microrendu+2pcs Lps1+Berkley Alpha usb=3200usd

Reference Redneck solution:

raspi pi+2pcs ultracap diy+singxer su1=2800Rmb

Nice handiwork - I am guessing you made the case for the ultracap. Crazy markup when you compare the MicroRendu setup.

Now someone should make a Singxer with the Ultracap in one box. Looks like plenty of room for it from your pic.

Reference Redneck solution:

Hehe :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels